Follow up visits with cardiologist

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I checked in with my cardiologist. Visit lasted about 10 minutes at most because everything is
normal. (And I am happy) He wants me to meet in 6 months. Nice man but I'd rather save the money. and not go.
This is near my 1 year anniversary of OHS--double bipass and mitral valves replacement.
How often do you see your cardiologist for routine visits? Or another way, when did you stop seeing your cardiologist
for routine visits?

Just had my visit and cardiologist said come back in a year. I should mention this is my second aortic valve. First was a porcine valve and I was on a schedule of twice a year with echo,, 24 hour holter monitoring, EKG, and kept putting off the treadmill test. I had one of these checkups in February and by May of that year my valve was severe stenosed.

I now have a mechanical valve (On-X) and cardiologist says it is very low maintenance. I had a baseline echo 6 months after surgery and then another to confirm 9 months after surgery. She did say if I felt anything odd or unusual to make an appointment but most of the new valves are load and go.

Now on saving that money.......what is more important than you? Nothing is and without that valve nothing else really matters. Think that through before deciding. Those ten minutes are invaluable and you will rest easy knowing you are doing the protocol your cardiologist wants followed.

I had my mechanical aortic valve fitted 4 years ago, and I go for an annual checkup with my cardiologist which consists of an ECG, an Ultrasound exam and a consult. This being in the UK we are not able to do this all in one visit for some reason, and so the ultrasound is done about a week before, then the ECG and consult on the same day. Also, I do not pay anything directly for this, and I don't know how much it would be in the US, but they are looking for how the blood is flowing, whether there are any clots, measuring ejection fraction and review of the medication I am on. There may be more that goes on but as a humble patient I am not aware of other stuff. So an annual check seems perfectly sensible to me.

I would add that there is usually something that I hadn't thought about pre-surgery or indeed whilst in hospital recovering that I then think would be useful to ask at one of these checkups. I know I could make an appointment in between these if needed, but the annual review is an opportunity to make me think about things and do something about it.

I saw mine at the 6 and 12 month after surgery and then yearly after that. I had an echo done at 12 months (could have gone 24 months, but I wanted it at 12) and then every 5 years after that. I however had just an aortic valve replacement, you've had considerably more work done. I'd stick with his schedule, the frequency of visits is also probably regulated by your insurance, so he won't be asking you to come back any more often then what is "industry standard."

I don't know if there is a tightly-defined "standard of care" for post-op valve patients, as there are many variables. I had a tissue valve, single bypass and a pacemaker - all at the same time. I go for semi-annual visits. Once a year includes an echo and consult/exam, the other is just the consult/exam. I really like my cardio, and don't find it to be at all inconvenient to see him every six months.

epstns;n884885 said:
I don't know if there is a tightly-defined "standard of care" for post-op valve patients, as there are many variables. I had a tissue valve, single bypass and a pacemaker - all at the same time. I go for semi-annual visits. Once a year includes an echo and consult/exam, the other is just the consult/exam. I really like my cardio, and don't find it to be at all inconvenient to see him every six months.

There is a "standard of care" from the insurance company. My last cardio specifically stated that the frequency for echos after surgery is controlled by the insurance guidelines and is dependent upon the patient's particular surgery and issues. After surgery, I wanted my echo a little earlier that "usual" and he said it was OK, but after the first one he needed to stick to 1/5 years unless there was an additional cause. My new cardio told me the same thing.

It has been my experience in all the years since 2000 that for the first year or 2 after surgery, (and I have had 3), they would like to see you every 6 months, then reduce that to once annually. However, if they suspect a concern after the annual tests, they will then request that they see you again in 6 months. Usually with the relationships I have with my GP, and my cardiologist, and surgeon, that all watch out for me. I see my surgeon annually. He is the only one that can really check on HIS work, and believe me I have a lot of work done on my valve, and the plumbing. I see my local cardiologist, once a year, and time it so that it is 6 months after seeing my surgeon at CCF. I also have my GP that I see annually.

I value living, and the cost to keep me at peace of mind is well worth it. I am a firm believer in Preventive Maintenance.
I was too close to checking out of this life to not be. But hey, your life, Your Choices to make.....

For the first 5 years after surgery, minimum once a year and sometimes twice a year, Since endocarditis in 2014, twice a year, one for echo and the other to update and chat. I can't imagine not going.

Latest posts

Back