Folic Acid & Warfarin = 5.8 INR...??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShezaGirlie

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I've done a search and cannot come up with an answer. I just took my INR this evening and it's 5.8..:eek:

The only thing I've added is folic acid which I took on Sunday and today.. Has anyone had a similar reaction??

No interactions were found for the drugs you selected.
You searched for interactions between the following drugs :

Coumadin Tablets
Folic Acid (Vitamin B9) Tablets

Add or Delete Drugs

Start Over with a New List of Drugs

(Note: Not all drug interactions are known or reported in the literature, and new drug interactions are continually being reported. This information is provided only for your education and for you to discuss with your personal healthcare provider. )

Muchas gracias there Ross..! Suppose I just need to down some V-8 and broccoli. Where did you find the drug chart..??

Since I'm officially old now and on the Medicare INR program, I test once a week. Sometimes I think that's a bit often..

Does being on the medicare INR program feel intrusive? I think I might have a chance of having my testing supplies covered if I would join their INR program which is modeled after the Medicare one.

I have folic acid in my multi-vit and haven't had any problem with it. I've had a few times that my INR has spiked without any identifiable reason. Let me know if you figure it out.

Is it a multi? Suppose there could be some hidden ingredient that's caused it, or it's just a little spike. Mine dropped from 3 to 2, I think because I'm weaning off amiodarone.

Muchas gracias there Ross..! Suppose I just need to down some V-8 and broccoli. Where did you find the drug chart..??

Since I'm officially old now and on the Medicare INR program, I test once a week. Sometimes I think that's a bit often..

I stickied the link at the top of this forum.

For some people, testing once a week is too much, but for others like myself, I can wander out of range in two weeks time, so testing weekly suits me just fine.

Does being on the medicare INR program feel intrusive? I think I might have a chance of having my testing supplies covered if I would join their INR program which is modeled after the Medicare one.

I have folic acid in my multi-vit and haven't had any problem with it. I've had a few times that my INR has spiked without any identifiable reason. Let me know if you figure it out.

Betty ~~ take advantage of the Medicare-like program if you can; however this year I'm on a Medicare Advantage plan which is a private insurance policy and like Dick I can't wait to change back to regular Medicare.

It took me almost 4 months to get my CoaguChek XS approved when Olefin Dayton is on regular Medicare and got his practically instantly. I don't like the hassle and won't abide it with that private insurance company. I think I counted around 42 e-mails I sent them trying to educate them..:mad:

Kristian ~~ it was a separate pill, not combined w/other vitamins.

Ross ~~ thanks for the stickie....maybe we should have a "Medicare" thread too..?!?!

Janie, not direct experience with the FA. Will tell you, if it is B based, there lies your answer. If it's anything like B12 which shot my INR through the roof...could be it! Also, cooler weather, higher INR's.

Once a week?

Once a week?

Hi Janie, I love your new picture. The high INR is interesting. I'd like to know how you finally decide to handle it. I tested Alice today first time after back from a two week vacation. INR 4.7! We were surprised since she's on warfain for afib with a recommended range 2.0 to 3.0. Her last test almost three weeks ago was 2.3. I tend to think for most people testing every week is a bit much. When Alice is in range her cardiologists recommend retesting in three weeks. I myself with a mechanical valve like to stay around 3.5 and test every two weeks. We are both on Medicare but have not enrolled in the plan. It just seemed too complicated for us. Warm regards Marty

For me I would prefer to test weekly because my inr is still unstable. When the doctor filled out my prescription for the coaguchek (still waiting) I mentioned it to her and she had no problem filling out the test weekly. I still have only been in range once since surgery and surgery was the end of may. Last one was 2.4 so it is close but I couldn't imagine waiting more than two weeks to test although with going to the hospital to get blood drawn all of the time it would be nice to be able to wait longer but I just can't take the chance of going longer than 2 weeks without testing.

Unstable INR

Unstable INR

If you are unstable you need to test weekly or in some cases every three or four days, adjusting the dose till you get at least three consecutive INR's in range.

Why thank you Marty for the nice compliment, but it's an old picture = last year...:D You're a sweetie..and Alice is a lucky gal!

Gina ~~ thanks for the info and I'll pay attention since I didn't know that.

Jackie ~~ best of luck in getting your machine...you'll love the freedom.

RECAP

Monday's INR: INR = 5.8
Thursday's INR: INR = 3.7

What I did: Tuesday = 5mg; Tuesday = 5mg; Wednesday = 8.5mg; Thursday = 8.5mg.

Doc and I discussed my highly irregular INR and I'm definitely a challenge to a stable INR. For now we're going to try 8.5mg except for Tuesday and Thursday when I will take 7.5mg. For almost 10 years I've been on 10mg, but never stable. My lifestyle must be outta whack..:eek: No comments from the peanut gallery...:D

Latest posts

Back