Flying home after valve surgery, anyone have any experiences to share or pointers?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillDaThrill

I am traveling from New Mexico to the Cleveland Clinic for my aortic valve/aneurysm replacement here in a week +. I am thinking the flights back, (maybe 2-3 days after hospital release) with a layover in Dallas, could be a challenge. Any experience with this? Any care shown by the airlines (no laughing!) or pointers for the trip back home?

My brain has seemingly erased, mercifully, most of my post-surgery flight experience; what I do remember is that

1. I was extremely nauseous the entire first flight, and I never get airsick... So there was that. I don’t even know if something like Dramamine is contraindicated on warfarin... and ginger supposedly increases INR, though it might be worth it, since you’ll be checking your INR more frequently anyway, being just out of the hospital. Or just be sure not to take an iron pill on an empty stomach, which may have been a contributing factor.

2. Call the airline beforehand and tell them you’ll need a wheelchair for your return flights.

3. If they have one of those fufu lounges in the airport in Dallas, it might be worth paying $20 for access so you can lay down. Not necessary of course, but it’s nice to know if you have the option to.

It’s great you’re planning all you can in advance. I hope all goes well.

Hi,
I have flown back home from Cleveland Clinic after surgery on two occasions. My wife accompanied me both times, and for the most part the flights were incident-free. We got assistance from the airport staff handling wheelchair support, and were amongst toe first to board the planes. No issues either time. However, I will say this, after they release you from the hospital, they strongly urge that you stay locally in Cleveland for the weekend as a precaution. (Usually when they release you on a Friday). Well, on one of my return flights, I think that they released e too early. After I got home, within 24 hrs I was rushed to a local hospital due to requiring more drainage of fluids, I was having a difficult time breathing. They actually released me a little early so I would be home for Christmas, instead of a hospital. I pushed that issue, so, that would mostly fall on me.

So, best advise from me, flying is fine, as long as you are not afraid to ask for assistance, and let them wheel you around. Just make sure you feel up to the flight and get the OK from the hospital releasing you.

Cheers,
Rob

Back