Fluke or Ester C

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharon

I've had my Protime 3 for many years. The other day I took my inr and just as it was warming up the tenderlett it ran out of "juice", so I took the tenderlett out and plugged the charger into the machine and then restarted it and again put the tenderlett in. It went through the usual things and when it beeped I took my inr. It gave me a reading of 1.9. I was rechecking my inr as it had been 3.6 three days ago and I was going out of town for 10 days and wanted to make sure that I was in a good range. Now the only thing that was different was that about a week ago I added ester C - 500mg to some other vitamins I've been taking for years, and also as I said the machine needed to be recharged. I looked up previous posts about ester c and no one seemed to think that there was a relationship between taking coumadin and the ester c. So do you think that it could have just been a fluke? I took it tonight and it's 3.2.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sharon
St Judes Aortic Valve 4/11/97

Fluke or Ester C

Forgot to tell you that I stopped taking the Ester C right after I saw the 1.9 the other day. As I said when I retested it tonight it was 3.2

Thank you for any insights you might have.

Sharon Feldman
St Judes AVR 4/11/97

Does it still boil down for consistency? ? I have taken 1000mg of C a day for years, well more if you count what is in my multivitamin. ? Also, I wonder if there is any harm in taking that much?

Cooker:
Sounds like you had your surgery after you were on high doses of vitamin C, so you started out on warfarin with the vitamin C adjustment already there.

If you stop taking the vitamin C, you might see your INR increase.

WARFARIN SODIUM (in Coumadin Tablets) may interact with ASCORBIC ACID (in Vitamin C Chewable Tablets)

Although the cause of this potential interaction is not clearly understood, vitamin C (also called ascorbic acid) may decrease the anticoagulant effect of warfarin. Warfarin is generally used to prevent your blood from "coagulating" or forming blood clots. When vitamin C and warfarin are used at the same time, warfarin may be less effective and this could cause the blood to clot more. This may be more likely to happen when vitamin C is used in doses larger than 5000mg per day. Based on information from two case reports as well as from a study involving a small number of people who took vitamin C and warfarin together, a change in therapy does not appear to be necessary unless you are using large doses of vitamin C. However, more clinical studies are needed to support this finding. You may want to ask your healthcare provider about this potential interaction if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is poorly documented and is considered moderate in severity.

Last Updated: December 2003

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Intera...umadin+Tablets"+"Vitamin+C+Chewable+Tablets"+

Cooker:
Sounds like you had your surgery after you were on high doses of vitamin C, so you started out on warfarin with the vitamin C adjustment already there.

If you stop taking the vitamin C, you might see your INR increase.

Thanks .... I kind of think that it keeps the nasties away ... and if it is all in my mind that's ok too:)

Gotta love that vitamin C

Gotta love that vitamin C

Cooker:

I take large doses of Vitamin C too. Vitamin C is water soluble in the body. The only problem you might have, with the dose you are taking, is expensive urine.

Regards,
Blanche

Fluke or Ester C

Hi All,

I just got back from visiting kids and grandkids and I'd like to thank everyone who answered my question. I guess it's unanimous no one believes that the protime caused a low false test result because it was charging. I did google ester c and couldn't find anything definitive that might suggest it could interact with the coumadin, so that's why I thought it could possibly be the machine. I am on a multivitamin but it was low in C and I was reading that extra C could help with high blood pressure (which I might have) and 500 mg didn't sound like too much - but I guess for me it was. Thanks again for helping me to figure this out.

Sharon Feldman, St Judes AVR 4/11/97

Latest posts

Back