flu shots.........

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bunny

Haven't been here for a while, guess i must be doing ok then eh?
But I do have a question regarding taking cumadin and the effects of having a flu shot. Seems I had heard a while back something about the flu shot messes up your INR. Any thoughts on this?

Hi Bunny!

I had a flu shot last year and I also take coumaidn.
I didn't have a problem at all.
Actually last winter was the best I felt in years.

:p Judy

Hi Bunny,

Welcome back! Don't be a stranger and let us hear from you often.
I had a flu shot last year and it did not effect my INR at all as far as I could tell.
Hope you are well.

Hugs,

Christina

Hi Bunny

Your INR can go either way or remain stable when taking the flu shot. Another one of those individualized situations. To air on the side of caution...I would check your INR 48 hours after.

Myself personally... did not have a problem last year that I am aware of. Just read recently that it could effect the INR so??? I will test post shot this year and report the results.

Hopefully there will not be a shortage this year. Anyone heard?

Thanks for all the replys!
Janie, you are lucky! If someone has the flu in the next city from me, I will get it. I have never had a very strong imune system. Had bronchial phnamonia (sp) when I was 3 months old and has left me forever catching everything! LOL! even had the three day measels 9 times!
So, yes, for about 10 years, or since I knew of my heart problems I have gotten flu shots. Having my surgery this last Feb. and getting ready for the ever quick and painful shot! actually, it hurts for days after!
I will have my INR checked right before and after the shot though, just to make sure.
Anyway, thank you all again. I thought I had heard somewhere that it does change the INR, but wasn't too sure.
Other than that, I am still trying to get better. Had an Xray last month on my chest because I am still hurting with those darn wires. Determination was, I have not developed any scar tissue around them yet! So until I do, my chest is going to hurt me like it has since at about 5 weeks post op. ARGH! so this "tomboy" still can't haul my firewood to the house or anything else like that.
Bunny

Last year I had my first flu shot.
Even though I had had open heart surgery in '89,
I didn't know I was high risk, until my Dr asked me about it last year after my 2nd AVR.
She looked at me like I was nuts and said that yes, I was high risk and should get the shot, so I did.
I have been notified by my clinc that the shot will be avail 11/10 for high risk and after that for all others. To me , that is late, as people have already been getting the flu that I know.
Apparently, it is in short supply again.
Gail

Hi Bunny,

I had my AVR last October and my local clinic suggested I had a flu jab in November, as we 'valvers' apparently count as high risk! I've never had much of a problem with flu, but it seemed a good idea. At the time, it never occurred to me that there might be an impact on my INR, but I don't remeber any problem and a quick look at my INR record confirms this.

I intend to have the jab again this year!

Simon in England

Latest posts

Back