Flu Shot Question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyinva

I had my valve replacement in October, 2010. I was told by my surgeon NOT to take a flu shot last year because they didn't want to risk any type of virus or infections. Should I still avoid taking the flu shot or is it safe now (one year later)?

Normally, I believe most doctors agree that flu shots are recomended for valve recipients. I can understand last years advice to not get the shot soon after surgery. I'd give my PCP a call, to be sure there are no special reasons for you not to get the shot.

I have been encouraged, for years, to get the flu shot. Already got my 2011/2012 shot.

Considering the orders you were previously given, check with your personal physicians but all my doctors have all told me to always get a flu shot and just about never hear anything here or anywhere to the contrary.

Please Let us know what they tell you. It interests me.

My cardio made sure that I had already been administered a flu shot at my 6-7 month post surgical exam. I would say this isn't conclusive and you should consult your own physician, but it made me comfortable with the prospect.

Normally, I believe most doctors agree that flu shots are recomended for valve recipients. I can understand last years advice to not get the shot soon after surgery. I'd give my PCP a call, to be sure there are no special reasons for you not to get the shot.

I have been encouraged, for years, to get the flu shot. Already got my 2011/2012 shot.

I agree with what Dick says here. My experience is similar. My wife and I both take the flu shot, have done so for many years, and have never had a problem.

I had my surgery on October 20, 2005 and was told I could have a flu shot that season. So, I had one 2 weeks after surgery.

Thanks everyone. Going to call Cardio tomorrow and will more than likely get the Flu Shot this week.

I don't quite understand the fear of the flu shot based on an infection risk when that is from what it protects you. The virus in the flu shot is very much dead and completely non-infectious. That said, a reaction MIGHT cause a fever which could be confusing/concerning in the post-op period. Regardless, I'm not a big fan of the flu shot. It is less effective in older people and others with impaired immune response who probably need protection the most.

I went today for pre surgical testing...I'm having my MV replaced Friday..I was told I will get a flu shot before leaving the hospital...so that will be 2-3 days after surgery...it wasn't even a discussion. standard practice it seems.

While we're on the subject

While we're on the subject

We've had discussions here, years ago, with specific warnings about valvers NOT getting the live flu virus spray (up the nose). Anyone remember that warning? In a web search, I couldn't find the specific info behind the warning and I don't recall if it was for all valvers or just tissue valvers...

We've had discussions here, years ago, with specific warnings about valvers NOT getting the live flu virus spray (up the nose). Anyone remember that warning? In a web search, I couldn't find the specific info behind the warning and I don't recall if it was for all valvers or just tissue valvers...

Actually the mist is a Live virus, it probably has more to do if you are "healthy" or not
and here is the people who CAN get it (this list is much shorter than who can NOT)

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/nasalspray.htm
Who can be vaccinated with the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®)?
LAIV (FluMist®) is approved for use in healthy* people 2 through 49 years of age who are not pregnant

and CAN NOT
Who should not be vaccinated with the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®)?
•People less than 2 years of age
•People 50 years of age and over
•People with a medical condition that places them at high risk for complications from influenza, including those with chronic heart or lung disease, such as asthma or reactive airways disease; people with medical conditions such as diabetes or kidney failure; or people with illnesses that weaken the immune system, or who take medications that can weaken the immune system.
•Children <5 years old with a history of recurrent wheezing
•Children or adolescents receiving aspirin
•Pregnant women
•People who have a severe allergy to chicken eggs or who are allergic to any of the nasal spray vaccine components.
•People with a history of Guillain–Barré Syndrome (a severe paralytic illness, also called GBS) that occurred after receiving influenza vaccine and who are not at risk for severe illness from influenza should generally not receive vaccine. Tell your doctor if you ever had Guillain-Barré Syndrome. Your doctor will help you decide whether the vaccine is recommended for you

there is more at the link

Last edited:
I saw my cardio yesterday and the first question he asked me was if I have had the flu shot this year.

I went today for pre surgical testing...I'm having my MV replaced Friday..I was told I will get a flu shot before leaving the hospital...so that will be 2-3 days after surgery...it wasn't even a discussion. standard practice it seems.

Another member had the flu shot before leaving the hospital recently too. It's interesting how inconsistent the recommendations can be. The other member and I had the same surgeon, and for me, the surgeon recommended I wait 6 weeks because some of the side effects of the shot such as increased temperature are also warning signs of surgical complications, and best to avoid unnecessary symptom confusion.

You should have had the one last year to prevent the virus to be a danger to you. There is nothing wrong in taking the flu shot unless you are allergic to eggs. It does not prevent you from having the flu, just from getting sicker with the virus. Get one this year, unless you are allergic to eggs, and if you have not done so, get the phneumonia shot also. I had one and the flu shot the same year of the bypass and did very well. Good luck and hugs for today.

I did find this from the Mayo Clinic:

"The flu vaccine that is given by nasal spray (FluMist) isn't recommended for people with heart disease because it's made with live virus that can trigger flu symptoms in people with heart disease." http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/flu-shots/HB00086

Thanks Lyn

The vaccine "authorities" have changed some of their recommendations over the years. I see the G-B Syndrome warnings more often, but that warning used to say that if anyone had an immediate family member who developed G-B Syndrome, then they should also not take the flu shot. Many years ago, my dear FIL developed what was, at the time, the worse survived case of G-B Syndrome, but his developed from "unknown origin." He still suffers from that horrible disease. Many people in our family don't accept the flu shot because of those warnings.

And comments like the personal experience I just related is probably another reason why so many doctors tell their patients to "stay off the internet!" :eek2: My intention is not to encourage or discourage anyone. Please see the disclaimer in my signature.

Best wishes :smile2:

I saw my GP today for my three monthly check and the first thing he asked was if I have had a flu shot, I had it two weeks ago. I certainly had one a few months after my surgery, I have been having them since 2000 without fail.

He also wished me a happy Christmas in case he doesn't see me before then!

Latest posts

Back