Flu/Pneumonia shot

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nngbwh

Proud member of Throwdown
Supporting Member
I went to my PCP last week for a yearly checkup. My PCP gave me the flu/pneumonia shot. He says normally I give the pneumonia shot just for elderly but in my case anyone with heart problem should take them. So the tech jab my arm with both shot. I am just curious if you took your pneumonia shot b/c you have heart issues.

People with Heart or lung issues are recomended to get the pnuemonia shot. Justin gets the flu shot every year and the pnuemonia one when it is due..I think it is good for 5 years?

My Doctor began giving me a pneumonia shot 10 years ago when I was first diagnosed with a stenotic aortic valve. She has also been very insistent that I have a flu shot every year. She also says that after the valve replacement it is even more important to use these kinds of preventatives to avoid infections that could damage the heart and, in my case, my tissue valve. So you are not alone and I suspect that this is probably standard procedure for any good Doctor.

Larry

Yes .... my primary insisted that I get it ... also, I go in for a tetanus shot next week and there are two kinds, one just tetanus and one with whooping (Sp?) cough vaccine ... she said there is an increase of whooping cough due to the fact thin immunization was stopped ... I'm taking the one that guards against both .... peace out:cool2:

clueless?

clueless?

Last week I made an appt. with a GP for a muscle strain that wasn't getting any better. I asked about the flu shot while I was there and the LVN who was taking my vitals was a little bit clueless. She said they had the nasal vax & injec. I mentioned the fact that I didn't think the nasal vax was suggested for those with heart disease issues and she asked what mine was and I said 'congenital' and she proceeded to tell me that wasn't 'really' heart disease. She said she had tachychardia (sp?) problems that she takes medication for but it is 'fixed' so she doesn't consider it a heart problem.

Tass

(just another reason I only go to this clinic when I know what is wrong and what I need ahead of time...Lord, help me if I ever need a Dr. House again!)

Tass, hmm, congenital isn't really heart disease?! Crazy. I've had the attitudes that Gabe's has been fixed so he's ok. He'll have to have it fixed again several times though. He'll never be "done". Heck, even people who likely won't need anything else done for their CHDs sometimes have things pop up later on. Weird that people in a medical setting have that attitude. FWIW we always do the injection, not the nasal. Partially b/c of very mild asthma, but also because his PC said to only do the injection. In the CHD world I have come across others though whose ped. cardiologists WANT them to have the nasal vaccine, as they say that is less risky. All a matter of opinion I guess?

The nasal is live virus, isn't it? The injection is dead virus.

My docs all reccomend I have annual flu shots and I do each year.

Back