Five Year Anniversary of My Emergency Mitral Valve Repair 12/12/07--12/12/12

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PairoDocs

rural area outside Buhl, Idaho, United States
Hello everyone. I know I've been scarce here lately, but I do think fondly of the support I have had over the years, especially during the protracted post OHS depression. It still affects me, but gradually I'm coming out of it. My heart, so far as I can tell, is doing great. While I've gained some weight, I've also been doing Tae Kwon Do and am now a recommended Black Belt. In this way, along with keeping up with the kids, I stay physically active. In our TKD school the belt is a red and black belt. My son is 11 (will be 12 on 1/1/13) and daughter is 9. My wife Laura is doing well, too. My parents are both 80 now (neither have heart problems worth mentioning), and sister 49. Laura's mother passed away about two years ago, but her father is still alive and reasonably good health. I'm, of course, 50 years old. Sort of a psychologically significant age, driving home the fact that it's now the second half of my possible first century of life.

The fruit trees are growing more productive each year, as are the walnut trees, and I sell my eggs, fruit, and produce through a small Buhl, Idaho store called "From Seed to Store." The chicken flock is much larger with 60 hens and 40 roosters. Because of the depression gradually disappearing, long-neglected farm maintenance is starting to be accomplished.

Andromeda, our malamute-lab cross, died last summer. She was 15. My elderly cat, Kiatt, had to be euthanized at age 26 because of an infection. Oggie, my wife's shih-tzu, got hit by a car shortly after Andromeda died. We now have a new puppy we've named Steward (Stewie for short). We think he's a cross between a bearded collie and a wire-haired terrier. He's about 8 months old.

Sometimes I get a little shortness of breath, but I don't think it's heart-related. The weight gain has made my clothes a bit too tight--most likely the cause of the SOB when I'm getting dressed, so I guess it's time to perhaps take Cooker up on one of his throw-downs and lose some excess fat. I'll try to resist buying new clothes so as to motivate me to drop some pounds.

Five years--it seems so much more recent than that, but the calendar doesn't lie. I hope that we all continue to be here to encourage one another for many years to come. I'll also try to come here a bit more often. Thanks again for all of your kind prayers and support--to this day I appreciate it. :)

May God bless you all this Christmas and Holiday Season,

Chris

Chris, good to hear from you!
It really doesn't seem like it's been five years, but I guess it has been. You sound like you're doing well and your family is too.
We'd love to have you join us in the Throwdown. We don't lose a lot of weight, but we're steady, and seem to keep it off.
Once again, congrats on #5!
Mary

Thanks Duffy,

I'll try to get motivated to join in on the Throwdowns. Thanksgiving is behind us, so now it's just trying to get Christmas and its associated treats out of the way and not overindulging in them. Of course the proverbial New Year's Resolutions time is at hand, so a goal of dropping 20-30 lbs. in 2013 might be a reasonable resolution to make. Or perhaps break it up into smaller pieces like a pound or so every week or two weeks--this way it won't be so overwhelming, and yet yield the same or even better results in the end.

Chris

Since the great swimming chimp (most chimpanzees can't be taught to swim) himself has invited me, who am I to refuse? I'm not sure when I'll start, but I realize that if I am accountable for my weight loss (or gain) then I'll have much greater likelihood for success. Thanks Cooker for the personal invite.

Chris

Since the great swimming chimp (most chimpanzees can't be taught to swim) himself has invited me, who am I to refuse? I'm not sure when I'll start, but I realize that if I am accountable for my weight loss (or gain) then I'll have much greater likelihood for success. Thanks Cooker for the personal invite.

Chris

Chris, I will be expecting you in Throwdownville very soon:thumbup: .... don't make me send out the hounds:eek2:

I'm not sure why, but the trauma of five years ago must have come back a couple of times in my sleep or while I was reading. My scar, while it has for the most part flattened out nicely (a little bulgy here and there), is occasionally itchy. On my valversary, I found that I had scratched my scar to the point where it actually bled slightly in several places, though not very badly. I now have some healing scabs in three places on my sternum scar, something that hasn't happened in about a year. Strange, eh?

Also, Cooker, thanks for the encouragement to join the throwdown. I have indeed gained some weight and need to get the pounds off. When (if?) I post on the throwdown page I'll say what it is.

Chris

Latest posts

Back