First time to dentist for scrape and clean since being on warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

Hi all,

I'm due to have my 6 monthly scrape and clean - the first since being on warfarin (commencing 10 weeks ago). I understand I don't need to change my warfarin dose/routine, but I should have an INR test to ensure the antibiotics have not thrown my levels out of wack. Is this so, and when should I have the post dental INR test?

Any comments appreciated.

Phil.

The antibiotic may temporarily raise your INR because it kills some of the little critters in your gut that have something to do with coagulation. The spike will probably be pretty temporary (maybe a day or two), but shouldn't be much of an issue to worry about.

Now -- if you were taking antibiotics all the time, this could be an issue....

Just had that cleaning on Monday. The hygienist seems to be more aware of bleeding, using more gauze to wipe, and also rinsing more during the cleaning. And sucking it out immediately.
My mouth kind of tasted like blood for a few hours, but I had no ongoing bleeding.
Took my pre-med one hour before the appointment.
Next day mouth felt totally back to normal.

I wouldn't worry about any INR change from just taking 2000mg of antibiotics before a dental. I carry amoxi in all my luggage and cat show judging briefcase. If I am bitten, I take 2000mg immediately after cleaning the wound, and follow it up about 6-8 hours later with several more capsules. Any blip in the INR would be so fleeting that it would be a waste of a strip to test.
I test weekly, so I'm pretty much on top of any INR changes. Therefore, when I start a short-term RX (7 days or so), I do not test before taking and then several days afterwards. If I am starting a drug for long-term maintenance, I would test after 3-4 days of being on the RX and then adjust my warfarin dosage.
Otherwise, you're getting on the INR see-saw.

Latest posts

Back