First surgery, bicuspid aortic valve replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dick0236;n874212 said:
There are a lot of things that "getting older and possibly no longer being able to" can, an do, occur.......but self-managing warfarin is not one of them. It's a lot more difficult to be steady enough to make a 3 foot putt than pricking my finger for my weekly INR test.....LOL.
Please Dick no details on the "things you can't do when you get older". I'd rather just find out....

There is also the ross or homograft....if you would be fit enough for a reop if you live long enough the risk of the second OHS higher than the primary is still not very risky in a very experienced center...This true for the homograft. I cant say about the risk of reop for a ross

Hey Hollyn! On a less serious note, you mention that you live in rural, northern WI. More northern than Rice Lake? More rural than 10 miles from the nearest town and smack dab on the Chippewa River? If so, you've got my location beat! I think you'll do fine at Madison. By the way, I had a bovine valve implanted 12 years ago when I was 52. No problems and it's still going strong.

Hello all - to Duffey, yes I do live in a small resort town about 20 miles from the UP Border. Lots of lakes and rivers for summer fun and lots of snowmobiling in the winter. So my choice of UWHealth at Madison will hopefully be good (it's about 4 hours from me). The other closest facility that would handle BAS is an hour and a half. But I'm hoping for no emergencies and to have the surgery in Madison. Thank you for your encouragement. Ashadds, I'm not familiar with homograft or ross but it is on my list to discuss. Pellicle, the info you posted is really interesting and just reinforces my desire to choose wisely. I truly appreciate everyone who gives feedback. My age (65) makes a 2nd OHS a reality if I live to 80ish and knowing that as the valve fails, symptoms like I'm having now will be coming back at that age is a real concern. But also, knowing that as I age my chances for other medical conditions and surgeries is a real possibility. And how will the warfarin issue affect those. I realize I'm sounding fatalistic but not really, just being realistic. My discussion with the surgeon will weigh heavily for me as he knows my personal history and will hopefully be able to assist in giving me clarity. Enough about me, you all have or will be going through the same thing and it's nice to be able to talk about it here.

Latest posts

Back