First Echo in 2.5 years tomorrow a.m. ....kinda nervous/excited

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxx

Hey gang,
My apologies for laying low for so long. I have been trying to forget about my "heart problem" for the last couple years.
The short version is 7 years ago, an incidental finding on an ECHO showed a 3.8/3.9 Aortic root, 2.3 Aortic Valve Area, with a mis-shaped tricuspid aortic valve with 2 larger leaflets and 1 small.... trace regurgitation, no stenosis.
4 Echo's between 2009 and 2014 showed essentially the same thing...... finally after the Jan 2014 Echo he said I could probably go 2 years until the next.
30 months later.....here we are....I have been putting off as long as possible, but the time has come.
In some ways, this feels like an important ECHO for me, as if nothing has changed, who knows, I may last a lifetime with my original equipment..... if there has been drastic or even moderate changes, maybe I will have to accept the fate that intervention will be needed. Anyway, Thank you guys for a great forum, I visit occasionally, and don't post as often as I should, not because I don't love you, but I have the personality type to get obsessive and nervous about this topic and before I know it.....it's consumed me, and I lose myself...etc... so I have learned have to keep my distance from medical things or else I end up dropping out of life for a few months, but I am very happy to see many familiar names here, and besides a few set backs, it appears everyone is doing well, cheers!

almost_hectic;n865944 said:
Fingers crossed. But dont fear any outcome. Whatever happens, happens. Whats your age now?

Hectic,
Hi, thank you.
Had it done at 9:00am.....USUALLY I can charm & flirt my way to getting some numbers out of the Echo Tech.....BUT not this one....she was nice, and pleasant, and professional....BUT she wouldn't give up any numbers.....her words "that's what the Dr. is for." Sooooooo....I have to wait a week for the follow up results of my blood work and Echo.....which will drive me mad.
At this point in time, I am age 37, male.... lucky to be fit, and besides a appendectomy in 2012, never had any other health issues in my life.
You are right.....whatever happens, happens.... those who remembered me from a few years back know that when I was told I had a 3.8 root, and a 2.3cm valve know that back then I was about to go cry in the street......Now..... I can't say that I don't care.....but I am certainly more on the same page with "whatever happens, happens"..... In a weird way, I would probably rather be at the "it's time for surgery" then at 4.3 or 4.6 or something like that.... I would just want it over with.

Yes of course, always hope for the best. Just don't live in denial because "the day" may come. When it did for me I was initially shocked but found relief in knowing the wait (15 years) was over. I just had a visit with my cardiologist today and at 10 months from my surgery I'm doing great and looking forward to many many years of more feeling great. Im so relieved to have it all behind me and now instead of fearing the future I look forward to it!

It is normal to have some anxiety before echos when in the waiting room. I do believe that is better to 'know' than to be left in the dark.
Keep us posted.
Wishing you all the best.

neil;n865961 said:
good luck and keep us informed

Thank you, I find out the results of the latest ECHO & blood work tomorrow at 9:15am
I am 37 and have never had blood work done before.... so they were running the whole panel....
So in addition to seeing the ECHO results....ie: if Root has increased / if Aortic Valve area has decreased
I will find out what my cholesterol & glucose numbers look like for the first time ever.
Plus, I get the added fun of fighting with them about my B.P..... I am usually 115/65 .... but I am in the 140/75 area at the cardiologist, so they always want me on beta blockers asap.
And I have to explain that I am normally not like this... ..etc
Been a looooong holiday weekend.... the only thing I have been thinking about is these results.

Roxx;n866026 said:
Plus, I get the added fun of fighting with them about my B.P..... I am usually 115/65 .... but I am in the 140/75 area at the cardiologist, so they always want me on beta blockers asap.
And I have to explain that I am normally not like this... ..etc
No way should anyone be put on betablockers based on a BP result taken at the doc's - it is known that if the BP is normally high when someone else takes it then a person should have a 24 hour BP monitor, or they should do their own measurements and bring them in to show the doc. (One time I was at my GP my BP was 198/130. My BP is higher than pre-surgery but it's not normally as high as that ! I am not on any meds to lower BP !).
Best of luck with your results !

So I got the results back from my ECHO & blood work...and not really what I was hoping for.
As for blood work, my M.D. seemed to be very happy with that...
Cholesterol = 175
Blood Glucose = 92
All hepatic numbers smack dab in the middle of normal range.
I am 198lbs, at 5"10..... BUT i have a 33 inch waist, and I am muscular, so he didn't say anything about weight.

On the Echo......sigh..... Aortic Root..... now 4.1 :-(

Last year, he wrote me a script for a 25mg beta blocker, but I didn't take it because my BP was always good when NOT at the doctor.
He was pretty upset about this today....he said "I didn't write you that script for Blood Pressure, I wrote it to stabilize the aneurysm"
The theory is, he knows that when relaxed....and chilling at home.... I can put out a 120/65 BP reading all day long.... the problem he suspects is that when I get anxious, nervous, or mad....it is spiking (which it probably is)
Next....I am a weight lifter.....NOT a heavy weight lifter.....I don't do it to be strong, I do it to look better.
He point blank told me that weight lifting has to go. Crap
So, I am pretty bummed about that.
I will take the 25mg beta blocker, I will do everything as prescribed.....BUT I don't think I can give up weight lifting entirely.

Anyway, his goal he said is to get me to go another 10 to 15 years before surgical intervention is necessary, as he states technology is always improving and he is convinced that if I can wait a decade, minimally invasive or even stent intervention will be perfected and take the place of completely open breastbone intervention.

So anyway.... I need some TLC and support guys..... I KNOW you aren't my doctor, but do you think I can get by with some light weights?

Roxx;n866041 said:
"I didn't write you that script for Blood Pressure, I wrote it to stabilize the aneurysm"
But did he tell you that last year ?!?!

I can't advise on wight lifting - I lift weights, and did right up until the day before AVR and now am doing it again BUT I never had an aneurysm. I would think having an aneurysm means you have to be more careful weight lifting due to the higher pressures that you will naturally generate when lifting weights.

Sounds a very positive consultation though if he thinks you can go for another 10 or 15 years !

Paleogirl;n866042 said:
But did he tell you that last year ?!?!

I can't advise on wight lifting - I lift weights, and did right up until the day before AVR and now am doing it again BUT I never had an aneurysm. I would think having an aneurysm means you have to be more careful weight lifting due to the higher pressures that you will naturally generate when lifting weights.

Sounds a very positive consultation though if he thinks you can go for another 10 or 15 years !

He didn't really tell me what the script was for last year.....he said take this it will help.... I called his nursing staff back a week later and said I am not sure why he has me on high blood pressure meds, my numbers are only slightly elevated in your office.... 120's/130's over 60's/70's any other time.....and they just said "oh your probably have white coat then, yeah, you should be fine without them."

Hearing this today....his face reddened and he was like "those weren't for BLOOD PRESSURE"

I am opposite of you Paleo.... I have a tricuspid aortic valve which although the 3 leaflets are not all the same size, I have no stenosis or regurge to speak of.... it's my "root" that seems to be the basis of concern.

The dumb thing about all of this is this was a total incidental finding on a ECHO that I (not a doctor) requested......now I face not lifting weights? Ouch.

Latest posts

Back