First Cold with the new Artificial valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul

So I have logged about 5 months on the new Artificial valve and everyone around me is coughing and sneezing. Last night I could feel the scratch throat coming on. So what is the process? When does a person go to the doctor for antibiotic to protect the heart?

Wait for a fever? Start coughing up the green goobers? Anyone have any history on this?

Paul

Hey Paul, welcome

I have never heard of immunity to cold by having a valve replacement. No different to before. The flu sucks, no benefits to antibiotics for that.

It's a virus not a bacteria. You may wish to keep an eye on your INR if you're a self tester, otherwise...

Have a rum toddie and go to bed

This will be the first of many colds and/or flu that you will experience with your new valve. So long as you don't run a fever or have a throat infection, like strep, their is not a lot you can do except, as Pellicie says, stay hydrated, watch your INR.......and the rum toddie seems like a real good idea.

As the others have said, you now keep track of an illness like you always have. Have you had the flu shot this year? What about the vaccination for pneumonia? Hopefully the scratchy throat will go away quickly and you will dodge any future contagious illnesses.

Yep always get my flu shot and had the pneumonia one. I will keep an eye on the temperature like you said, thanks!
Paul

As Dick said my only worry would be strep and trying to decide if it's that or a cold. I have my native valve and strep would get my attention . My son had it a few months ago but i was spared.

I use Zinc lozenge's at the first sign of a scratchy/sore throat, it may make your taste buds go funny, but I find that it works. See your doctor it doesn't improve after 3 days.

Latest posts

Back