Fingernail changes??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of my nails are now thin, brittle and all have ridges post surgery. They won’t grow. I attribute it to warfarin. My hair is thinner as well.

I remember nothing post-surgery, but pre-surgery I can recall the doctors looking at my fingernails, which I thought was weird. Seems that with a leaking valve you can see the pulse in your fingernail.
I had a cardiologist do that, too - pre-op. His explanation was easy to understand -- when you press on the nail, the skin underneath turns white. He was watching to see how long it took for the nail to 'pink up' again, indicating how good the blood flow was.

My nails used to be thick and strong - so strong that I used to tighten screws with them (no, not phillips head screws), but they've gotten thin and weak. They're not all that 'ridgy,' but they crack a hell of a lot. Maybe I'll return to Biotin daily, perhaps take some collagen, and see if there are any changes a few weeks from now.

I saw no changes in my nails post-op 29 years ago.

(FWIW - my body has gone through some rather intense trauma between, perhaps, last October and June. My heart developed arrhythmias that I ignored for a long time - and they almost killed me. I got a stent, then an ablation, and, finally, a pacemaker - but the process took around two months. Maybe my nails are still screwed up from THIS trauma - but three months later, I'd expect that my nails would be heading back to pre-trauma status)

I remember nothing post-surgery, but pre-surgery I can recall the doctors looking at my fingernails, which I thought was weird. Seems that with a leaking valve you can see the pulse in your fingernail.
That’s a sign of Anemia! Clubbed or rounded fingernails that do not lay flat.

I had a cardiologist do that, too - pre-op. His explanation was easy to understand -- when you press on the nail, the skin underneath turns white. He was watching to see how long it took for the nail to 'pink up' again, indicating how good the blood flow was.

oxygenated blood-it’s called Capillary Refil, should always be less then 3 seconds. Which puts you at >96% oxygenation!

I've always had ridged nails, and frequently brittle, especially in the winter. My dermatologist told me to always use rubber gloves when my hands are in water, and to use something like Aquaphor on nails and cuticles at night.
I blame my hair thinning on AI for cancer, but age could be a factor too. I was on warfarin three years before AI.

Latest posts

Back