Fiber anyone?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc_kowal

Ok, so since I've had one bout of diverticulitus, my GI doctor wants me to stay on a high fiber diet. Does anyone have any information if suppliments like Benefiber or Fiber Choice tablets interact with warfarin? I've tried to search on the web and the boards, but didn't see anything.

Oh, and they also want me to get a colonoscopy, which means bridging (both are firsts for me).......yay for me..not!

Hi Marc

totally can't see how they would, could or should. Check the list of ingredients such as the other components and look for them.... or just test and adjust dose if required :)

I don't know much about your diet, but I eat oats a lot ... its actually good for you and there may be some effect on your cholesterol too.

I usually start the day with a bowl of simple boiled oats
26453467104_b44a1a41b6_c.jpg

I shun the packet "Instant Oats" as they have stuff in them like sweeteners. I have mine relatively plain with a dallop of my own recipe Rasberry Jam:
26455552403_dbbba844f5_c.jpg

(which follows more closely the Finnish "Hillo" style.

and occasionally make meals of oats too (not so frequently). For instance:

One of my favorites: savoury oats
Ingredients: chopped leek, salami, sesame oil, chilli flakes, oats, water.
Fry the chilli and leek in the oil for a bit, toss in the salami. Mix a wet slurry of Oates and pour that in. Cover and reduce heat / flame to minimum. 5 minutes later whack on the plate

27026130366_5a2309c2a4_c.jpg

I have another few variations of this including using white fish and sesame oil

There are plenty of sources of fibre that are just good healthy eating. I don't know anything about your diet, but if you aren't getting enough naturally you may just wish to try a change in how cook and what you eat. Such things may be enough to satisfy your Dr and you can avoid the "metamucil" stuff.

Sorry to hear about your "silver snake" episode.

after discussion with Ryanvs about my other oats recipe, I thought (as I see the above post mentions) I'd post my fish and sesame oil verions of oats

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2017/08...ass-seeds.html
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/1.bp.blogspot.com\/-OPRSYT_Yaso\/WZqlmtEawsI\/AAAAAAAAHCk\/G5W2nN5GxlUXwKj11vxoze1yl5f4tcBAACLcBGAs\/s1600\/IMG20170821183900.jpg"}[/IMG2]

enjoy

Reactions: Eva
I'd like your recipe for Raspberry Jam. (Of course, raspberries are very expensive where I live -- I'll probably use frozen berries instead of fresh). I've been making jams for a year or two -- in small batches, using a jam and jelly machine that takes a lot of the work out of the process.
(I realize that this has little to do with fiber, but putting a spoonful of a good jam on top of cooked oats sounds like it'll make them easy to eat).

Reactions: Eva
In addition to oats, I love pears and flaxseed. In the mornings, my special drink is hot water with ground flax seed and cinnamon instead of coffe...I love it! Or sprinkle it over eggs, salads, etc. that will be consumed.

I know now some members had colonoscopy without bridging. They may chip in later! I have not done it myself though it was recommended for my age!

here is a list of high fiber food from http://www.doctoroz.com/article/50-fiber-rich-foods

IMG_3708.JPG

Eva commented:
Pellicle, would you post these good recipes on the forum, so they are accessible always to All! I love oats and use it a lot. Thanks.

well I sort of do ... I often post my recipes here as well as on my blog. There is a link to my blog always in my posts.

My blog has existed at the same address for some years (first post was Feb 2008) and its ad free.

Blogspot is owned by Google and so (while google do close things now and then) they've owned this for some years now already, so in terms of future stability I would expect its as future proof as here

I make no money out of my Blog (it not monetised as Google call it) and is just my personal publication platform.

I no longer trust forums as a permanent reservoir of my material and contributions because I learned early on that administrators can just 1) ban you 2) delete your posts 3) continue to make monetary gains out of my contributions. I feel specifically strong about those last two. I had an experience years back where a discussion which was not started by me went feral and the arsehole who ran the shop banned me. Not for what was in the post, but because I dared to comment that I didn't think it was appropriate that a company was making money (and I'd subscribed) out of me and others for their own profit. I don't mind that (heck I expect it) but to ban me because that twit had a problem with me (and in 3 years I'd never been once warned) was too much. So I will no longer put myself and my "investment in a community" at the mercy of some person I don't know.

However, I do think that a good eating recipe thread is beneficial. I'll see if we can start one ... mind you I'm a bit sparse on that topic ;-)

Glad you like the oats recipe :)

Latest posts

Back