Ferritin Levels Low

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaton

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I have an iron deficiency. My ferritin levels are low, apparently. My body is not storing enough iron, it seems. It’s important iron levels are steady for major surgery due to blood loss. And especially if a blood transfusion is required at any point.

I’ve been given a pre-operative anaemia management appointment today at the Haematology Department at Guy’s Hospital in London. I’m to have an infusion through drip of ferritin [see correction below] in the form of Ferinject®️.

I may need another dose in a week’s time.

My haemaglobin levels are fine, it seems. Just my ferritin is an issue. I’d never heard of ferritin until recently. If nothing else, pre-surgery is an education!

Last edited:
Hi Seaton,

Most people seem to get a degree of anaemia to an extent post open heart surgery so they need your levels of haemoglobin and your stores of iron - Ferritin - to be reasonably good.

My level of Ferritin prior to surgery was 19, which I think is 1 above normal, as I was donating blood regularly, but since AVR my levels have risen and risen, now to 120, as the blood transfusion service won’t allow me to donate blood anymore (they consider it a risk to me for some reason). Shows what the effect of losing blood does to your Ferritin stores so no wonder they want your stores built up before surgery ! They are looking after you well !

Done ✅

I’m to have an infusion through drip of ferritin in the form of Ferinject®️.
Correction: Not an infusion of ferritin but an infusion of iron in the form of ferric carboxymaltose, an iron carbohydrate compound. Ferric carboxymaltose (Ferinject) is for iron-deficiency anaemia

Ferritin is actually a universal intracellular protein that stores iron and releases it in a controlled fashion.

Apologies for the misinformation.

Reactions: Eva

Latest posts

Back