Feelings all over and recovery question!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA Pigg

I'm sure it's normal, but I'm feelin so grouchy, antsy, crying spells, just a whole variety of emotions!!!!:eek: I'm trying to chill them all out!! Question though, when I get home from hospital I know I can't do much with the upper body but I will need to walk and the more the better to heal faster. Guess my question is how much help will I need from someone, experiences you all had. When you were able to be left alone, how dependent will I be???? THanks for any input!!!!

Hi Carole, I had my BF's parents staying with us (despite my protests!) but it was good to have someone there for the first week or so to do the cooking, dishes and laundry. I probably could have managed the cooking and dishes, but I really didn't have the energy, so it was nice not to have to worry about it. It was also good to have someone there to change the bedding (and get the high/low things out of cupboards).

I felt comfortable being left at home during the day about week 2, although I needed help with many of the things mentioned above for about 4 weeks (although I did try a little more each week, despite everyone telling me "I can do that - you sit down!!!"... I kept reminding them that I had to test my limits and I would only impede my recovery by doing absolutely nothing). As far as showering and dressing and that sort of thing, I was able to do that in hospital, but I did move my shower caddy to a lower position so I didn't have to reach too high for bottles of shampoo/conditioner.

For me the hardest thing was the weight restrictions... it meant there were many things I couldn't do for at least 8-10 weeks, such as heavy laundry, vacuuming, mopping, carting dishes to the dishwasher (ours is in the laundry at the moment). I learnt not to worry too much about it during that time (which was hard, but better than damaging myself) and my BF was pretty good with helping out when he was home.

You'll probably get a list from the hospital outlining at what stage you should be attempting different things. I was about a week behind the guidelines I got, but again, I didn't want to over-do it and cause myself harm. Better to take it as slow as you need to.

A : )

Keep someone around for the first week. After that, if you haven't fallen or collapsed from anything, then you can be as dependant on yourself as you can tolerate. Just make sure you can reach things you need, like pots and pans for cooking, food, keep pathways cleared and lighted at night. It's really not a huge thing. Biggest thing, don't let your mind fool you into thinking that you can do something that you darn well you shouldn't do. It will try!

I don't have alot to add to Abbanabba and Ross, but it has been my experience that you will keep improving every week without much effort on your part. Just walk and it all just comes back on its own -- you don't have to work out to improve. Just wait for it. :) Also I found naps have been absolutely necessary until last week.

I am still careful about my sternum/upper body and weight restrictions, and just started walking my dog this week (he's 50 lb). Don't push reaching, pulling, and carrying things. I have done a few things I shouldn't have and then paid for it with pain and worry that I damaged myself!

One of the most valuable pieces of advice I got from a VR member is to expect that I will not be myself for awhile and she was absolutely right. Like Ross says, don't let your mind fool you into thinking you can do something you shouldn't do.

I still like to say that the waiting for surgery is the worst. I have so much more vitality than before surgery even though I am still healing, and so much less worry than before surgery. It is all good!
All the best,

Dale:)

My S/O stayed home for the first 2 weeks. Then it was like nothing ever happened. Life was back to normal (in their minds only). Although they did learn to do the dishes LOL

Just remember any action that causes pressure on the breastbone
is discouraged. I recall trying to pull open my dryer door early on:eek:
As much as trying to unscrew a lid off a jar.food prep for me was off
limits,besides couldn't stand the smell of food anyway;)
Use pain to judge your level of your activity,im out since surgery Jan
20th and just now my pain is decreasing,everyones different though.
My pain was a good indication of whether i was trying to do too much.
It left me tired and weak which caused me by crying easily,anger and
i would get frustrated,but after 4 weeks of my surgery i started to,
smarten up:D:p
Remember the pillow and or rolled blankey for chest support on cough
and an unpredictable,hick-up or sneeze:eek:
These are afew things i had challenges with,but waking up at night for
my pain pills to was a pain in the pain.:mad:
And i would advise yes to someone being there to help you in the
beginning. I know you will do fine,but the waiting was my worst enemy
not even the healing now can match the terrible waiting.
See you when you come over the mountain with flying colors
to report to us.:)

zipper2 (DEB)

I was lucky, my DH had just retired so he was home. I remember one the hardest things for me to do was blow dry my hair. DH did it and got pretty good at it:) He helped a lot. Everyone is different, but I would surely want someone w/me for at least the first week or two.

Not much to add. I was left alone for parts of days by the 3rd day, but really did have help and meals done completely for the first 8 days. Do not try to do laundry for several weeks minimum. Do not reach to open windows or push or pull anything heavy.

My worst frustration was the hairdryer! Try to have an easy "do" while you are recovering (my hair is long and fine), or have a friend come and do your hair for a week. Showering and washing hair was no problem, however.

I also was very glad to have someone around to help me keep track of my meds the first few days. I was pretty out of it, and while I had a system of writing everything down, I still felt safer having someone close by. Surgery was a tuesday, out on sunday, help through the next weekend and then monday I was absolutely fine by myself, but I didn't do very much!! I was able to sleep a lot and had nice weather to be outside languishing in the spring sun. In that regard, I enjoyed recovery, if that's possible!!!! :D

Best wishes.

Marguerite

Most importantly, every recovering patient needs one of these! This way, you can sit in your recliner and let your significant other know of your needs. :D

Oh yeah almost forgot, even though they were just with you, don't ring for them until they're on the other side of the house. ;)

69059.jpg

Agree with most of what was said ... If all goes according to plan (and I'm sure it will) you will be ready for some "me time" in a week or so ... I could not wait to be on my own a bit ... it helped me feel normal:rolleyes:

Hurts when I try to open those damn childproof prescription bottles, so my wife has been doing that for me.

I could not open them either and DH went to the pharmacy and got a couple of non childproof lids to my bottles and then we changed my pharmacy request to these until I was able to open them on my own (which finally happened in Oct, 2008). Ask your wife or pharmacy to change the lids right now especially if you have no small kids at home) and you will feel alot better!!!

My surgery is scheduled for 3/23 (a week and a half, where did this time go) and my hubby is taking off the week I am in the hospital and the week after. Then my Mom is going to come so at so she can get the kids to school and stuff. I am hoping I will be able to somewhat take care of myself by the 3rd week. My fear is once the kids are home for the day and not being able to help them or really care for them. Remember there are 5 of them. I am hoping I will still be able to help w/ homework and they can lay next to me so I at least feel like I'm doing something for them.

Ross...I love the bell. You crack me up.

A well trained retriever helps, too. :D He/She can pick up all the things you drop, like coasters,books, the TV remote, cookies (yeah, you're not getting that back-no 5 second rule), and the cough pillow (if she doesn't decide it's a toy to be disemboweled), and can fetch extra toilet paper rolls from the cabinet.

One day the coaster fell off my glass, and Jet came running into the room from the other side of the house to pick it up for me--without me even calling her! I didn't even need the bell!

Carole, obviously I can't give you any input regarding the assistance during rehab since you and I are having surgery the same day. But, I just wanted to offer my moral support. I, too, have been experiencing a vast array of emotions over the past few days and I know it is because the surgery is just around the corner. Try your best not to let the emotions get to you.

What time is your surgery Wednesday? I go in at 0530 for a 0730 surgery. We are going to do our best to have a relaxing weekend, then staying in a nice hotel on Tuesday that is close to the hospital, maybe do a little dancing and romancing!

I wish you the best of luck between now and Wednesday, on Wednesday, and then all through the recovery and rehab.

Randy

I'm trying as well Randy!! They are going to check me in Tuesday morning at 7am to do a heart cath, lung xray and all that other preop stuff. Then my surgery is scheduled for 2:00 in afternoon. I wish it was earlier but the suregeon has a meeting, they did say they will be getting me all ready for him and so it will be much earlier that they start all that, I know they will need to give me some happy meds to chill me out without being able to drink all day!! My hubby is taking the weekend off and we are hoping for a little relaxing and romancing as well!!!! I can't wait until we are on the other side together!!! You are in my thoughts and prayers as well for a great weekend and surgery and recovery!! I cant wait until we are able to discuss our scars together and this is all over!!!!! TAKE CARE and have a GREAT WEEKEND!!!

I'll have to get me a bell and some walkie talkies Ross and Greg LOL!!!! I'm sure John will love both of those ideas!!!! LOL

I have a set of small walkie talkies. If my wife goes downstairs she takes one with her so if need be I can contact her. Works very well.

We have a couple regular house phones that you can use to intercom with the other house phones, i think there are 4 or 5 of them.. After Justin's surgeries we use those. He sleeps downstairs so for the first week or so post op I usually sleep downstairs incase he needed something in the middle of the night.

I recently bought a pair of "Reporter RWIS Chamberlain Wireless Portable intercom" from Amazon since I'll need to get my wife's attention a lot during recovery. I wish I had bought these things years ago. They run on AA batteries and supposedly will run about a year on a set of batteries. They also can be turned up very loud in case you're not in the room -- I can hear it from several rooms away. Highly recommend.

Ross had a good idea with the bell , but if you have a large house or people that like to hang outside I'd get an airhorn. (They are hard to ignore) :D

Back