Feeling tired and out of breath

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geofd

Hello all,again was recently diagnosed with severe regurgitation,prolapse and flailing???,
This is my mitral valve it's very early in the process, seems like just after being diagnosed, I really started noticing being more tired, and out of breath I do have a very physical job, but something has changed am I just noticing the symptoms, or is it in my head thanks

Hi Geofd,
In that you indicate that you have severe regurgitation, per your question, I would believe that your symptoms are probably real and not imagined. Shortness of breath is one of the symptoms of severe regurgitation.
When do you get your consultation to determine if repair is an option?

diagnosis often comes right along with being symptomatic. I met a fellow in the waiting room one day who had been a bricklayer all his life and was about 60 (looking at him) and he said he just felt faint one day.

His effective aortic orifice area was so small the surgeon had wondered how he'd been able to do his job these last few years.

Get it seen to and really just keep your mind on what you have to do (which is recover and put effort into recovery).

I see from your bio:
looking to understand next options

and so you should know that activitiy and younger age are contributors to what is called Structural Valve Degradation (SVD). The Mitral valve calcifies more significantly than others (as I understand it).

The advice used to be that you select a valve which has a durability of greater than the expected life of the patient. If you don't do that then you are selecting also for your redo surgery. I see from some other posts you're 60 ... so I would think that most valves on the market today would likely see you about 18 years, although a mechanical would likely see you another 30 years (or more) were you to last that long.

I recommend you acquaint yourself with the options and the reality of all aspects for your choice of valve.

The guidelines go like this:
12220845216_261cceb5c3_o.jpg

and
12220655884_58760fc0cd_o.jpg

so think carefully about this aspect:
StructuralValveDegredation.jpg

and make your choice from there.

Lastlty keep this in mind
40335848202_5cfbbe35b3_o.png

Then leave the rest for the people who know best.

Best Wishes

Last edited:
Geofd,
There may be a good chance that your mitral valve can be repaired instead of replaced, and often minimally invasive. Seek out a surgeon with good experience at repair. However, do review the replacement options/guidelines in pellicle's post as a plan B if it can't be repaired.

Mitral Valve Repair - Cleveland Clinic

Probably both. We may be symptomatic but if we assume nothing is wrong, we have no excuse and we push past the symptoms and dismiss them. When we find out something is wrong, we start to notice those same symptoms and become very wary of pushing past them. We may even start to notice more things now that we know why we might be feeling them.

I recommend you acquaint yourself with the options and the reality of all aspects for your choice of valve.

The guidelines go like this:

Thanks for reminding us of the guidelines, based on evidence for the best chance at long term survival. Some often feel that they have good reasons for going outside the guidelines, but it is important to understand that they are straying from the evidence for the best long term outcomes if they do so. Still, it is an individual choice, just that folks should be as informed as possible when making that choice.

Thanks for reminding us of the guidelines
Thanks for reminding us of the guidelines

Does anyone else hear that echo? ;)

Last edited:
Hello all,again was recently diagnosed with severe regurgitation,prolapse and flailing???,
This is my mitral valve it's very early in the process, seems like just after being diagnosed, I really started noticing being more tired, and out of breath I do have a very physical job, but something has changed am I just noticing the symptoms, or is it in my head thanks

If I had severe mitral regurgitation, prolapse and flailing accompanied with a recent onset of fatigue and breathlessness, I'd call my cardiologist...now.

If I had severe mitral regurgitation, prolapse and flailing accompanied with a recent onset of fatigue and breathlessness, I'd call my cardiologist...now.
Hi Geofd
What is your LV size . If your LV is dilated. Then a quick surgery is a must. I sail in the same boat but mine is aortic valve

My surgery is due in few months . My LV is dilated. If your ankles and legs swell the condition is getting severe. Heart failure. Pls meet a surgeon . Cardiologist will suggest medication. You can start BP tablets to control blood pressure .

No nothing like that,no leg or ankle swelling I see a surgeon a week from tomorrow, I think I will understand more when I speak to him, don't know what an lv is or if it's dilated

Latest posts

Back