Fatigue..beta blocker issue?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be worth checking you BP during your fatigued periods, but actually, I would expect that to be accompanied by some sensation of dizziness on rapid standing if your BP is low.

Is the atenolol rectifying the "rhythm issues"? Not knowing what this issue is, it's not clear what other alternatives might work just as well, but that's really something for your cadiologist to take care of if your fatigue continues and you and he conclude that atenolol is responsible.

Let us know how this all works out.

It would be worth checking you BP during your fatigued periods, but actually, I would expect that to be accompanied by some sensation of dizziness on rapid standing if your BP is low.
Hi Bill B,
You suggest that fatigue from Beta blockers is caused by extremely low blood pressure. I will have to check my BP when I'm feeling fatigue, but couldn't there be another chemical interaction of the BB that would cause fatigue and be be unrelated to lower BP?
John

Hi Bill B,
You suggest that fatigue from Beta blockers is caused by extremely low blood pressure. I will have to check my BP when I'm feeling fatigue, but couldn't there be another chemical interaction of the BB that would cause fatigue and be be unrelated to lower BP?
John
I can see how you think I meant that, but no, the fatigue side effect is not directly related to BP. It is usually completely independent. Sorry if I started mixing things up there.

Bill

Among other things, beta blockers slow down and weaken the adrenaline-boosted response to the electrical impulse that makes the heart beat. That calms and slows your heartbeat, but may also lead to feeling fatigued, because the heart doesn't respond to adrenaline in the same degree it normally would. You try to pep up or go into action, but your heart doesn't get the message clearly, and the feedback may present itself as fatigue.

Best wishes,

Bill B. and Bob H.
Thanks for the clarifications. I've noticed that if I'm sitting at a desk that I am more easily fatigued but if I am outside doing even minor physical work then I seldom feel fatigued. I avoid caffeine because it is an A-fib trigger for me. Sorry Coffeelover, but coffee just doesn't like me. Otherwise I seek a pick-me-up from sugar, but I think the best thing may be to get up from sitting at my desk and take a 5 minute walk to shake that fatigued feeling.
John

I am 5 months post-op and am on 100mg per day beta blocker. I do not like it. My resting rate stays at low 60s. My bp and heart rate doesn't go up even with exercise. After walking 30 mins on treadmill at speed 4.0, I still see my heart rate staying at 130. Another side effect i see with beta blocker (which was discussed in this site before) is the vivid dreams in sleep. The dreams are so vivid that I feel like awake :)
I have asked my doctor to get me off this. He said that he might change it something else (may be ace inhibitor) in the 6 months follow-up if he sees improvement in ef in the echo.

I am 5 months post-op and am on 100mg per day beta blocker. I do not like it. My resting rate stays at low 60s. My bp and heart rate doesn't go up even with exercise. After walking 30 mins on treadmill at speed 4.0, I still see my heart rate staying at 130. Another side effect i see with beta blocker (which was discussed in this site before) is the vivid dreams in sleep. The dreams are so vivid that I feel like awake :)
I have asked my doctor to get me off this. He said that he might change it something else (may be ace inhibitor) in the 6 months follow-up if he sees improvement in ef in the echo.
OK, so, you only have a month more of these annoyances. I think there is a high likelihood the beta blockers are responsible for them. Although your cardiac response to exercise may be blunted you are still getting to 130, which may be a good limit for the time being. There are benefits to beta blockers in heart failure and your doctor thinks it may help your recovering heart. Note that he will probably want you to taper the beta blocker over several weeks as you switch to the other medicine.

Tobangotwo,Bill, and other posters,
Thank you for the great info!...will check afternoon/evening bp's to see where I am at.
Today I did drink coffee at 3 and that seemed to help me when I got home at 430. So, if that is all it takes,that is an easy fix.
Have only been on the med a couple months so I think my system is getting used to having a beta blocker on board. Will chat with my cardio this spring.
Thanks again!
With a name like "coffeelover", I assumed you were already pretty well tanked up on it already. I have a triple espresso every morning and occasionally another hit in the afternoon. No problems with fatigue here! :eek2:

Latest posts

Back