Father's expected aortic valve replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolyn

parents are in Florida - I am in Northern VA
Through this site I was able to find the Cleveland Clinic Doctor assigned to my father as we await surgical information early this next week. He was relieved to see the write up and short video presentation. I continue to read posts so that I am better informed regarding his condition and hopeful resolution. Much impressed and thankful to a supportive community. While my father is 79 years of age and frequently short of breath as well as sleep, we remain hopeful because he has survived a heart attack in his 50's, bladder cancer in his late 60's, back surgery a couple of years ago and a defibrilator imbedded yet has taken very good care of himself with the assistance of my mother, the love of his life for 58 years. :thumbup:

Hi Carolyn, My Son and Mom are also the ones who had Heart surgery, so I know what it can be like having someone you love needing surgery.
I noticed you live in Florida, is your Dad having his surgery there or Cleveland? Will you be able to be there? Your Father seems like a fighter, which will help him with his surgery and recovery. If you have any questions you didn't see using the search, just ask, there are alot of members so someone should be able to help you.

Last edited:
Through this site I was able to find the Cleveland Clinic Doctor assigned to my father as we await surgical information early this next week. He was relieved to see the write up and short video presentation. I continue to read posts so that I am better informed regarding his condition and hopeful resolution. Much impressed and thankful to a supportive community. While my father is 79 years of age and frequently short of breath as well as sleep, we remain hopeful because he has survived a heart attack in his 50's, bladder cancer in his late 60's, back surgery a couple of years ago and a defibrilator imbedded yet has taken very good care of himself with the assistance of my mother, the love of his life for 58 years. :thumbup:

Hi, Carolyn.
I'm glad you were able to find information on the site that helped with your Dad's upcoming replacement. When I was in the hospital following replacement, my roomate was a lady, almost 80 who had her first replacement at the age of 65. Nowdays, age isn't nearly as big an issue as it once was.
I hope you continue to read and ask questions. That's why we're here. We'll be with your throughout this journey.

Thank you Lyn for your kind response. My parents live in Florida along with my sister while I live in Northern VA and my brothers are in NY. He is the patriarch of 5 children, 12 grandchildren and 18 great grandchildren. We are waiting to hear from Cleveland Clinic early this week. I plan to be there as will my brothers while my sister will look after their home. I did pass onto him concerns re: celiac from reading posts here. He called the contact in Cleveland and it was inserted into his records. Right now the hardest part is waiting similar to so many.

Thank you for the warm welcome Duffey. We gathered together as a family for his birthday in July and it was difficult to see a very active man reduced to breathlessness from little activity while my mother had that nervous look in her eyes. In March I visited them in Florida and the cardiologist was of the belief that his symptoms were simply fluid around his heart, then it was simply the combination of old age and a prior heart attack - all along I feared heart failure so the recent news of a valve replacement as soon as possible was not too much of a surprise.
Bina he is the heart and soul of our family and we've been blessed to enjoy him throughout the years. I simply love how my parents enjoy their afternoons by the water or watching the Yankees together.

Carolyn,

There is some confusion about 'which' Cleveland Clinic Facility your Dad is planning to use.
The Main Campus is in Cleveland, Ohio but they also have a facility in Florida. Please clarify.

Best wishes to your Dad and his Loving Family.

'AL Capshaw'

Welcome Carolyn, one of my golfing buddies had valve replacement at 76 and an eurysm repair one year later. He is now 78/79 and back on the golf course. I never say "good luck" because I don't think luck has anything to do with it....it takes a positive attitude AND a good surgeon....so I'll wish your dad an uneventful surgery and easy recovery.

Thank you Al for the well wishes - we are waiting to hear from the clinic in Ohio, recommended by his cardiologist. Thank you Dick, both parents are positve particularly after his internist told my father that aside from his heart he is in 'great shape'. It was nice to hear his internist called him in for an appointment after hearing from the cardiologist. Helpful to know his Florida doctors talk to one anothe, hopefully we will hear more soon.

news from Cleveland Clinic

news from Cleveland Clinic

My father's surgical date is set for the 17th of September but there is a bit of confusion in that one test shows 30% muscle and the other shows 18% so the doctor wants to do his own testing 3 or 4 days before the 17th to see if surgery will help or not. This is how my father explained it in an email so I have no other specific information. I simply hope he is not in a position to not have correction through surgery.

Did your father get copies of his Test Reports? If not, he can request those copies which should give a more complete report than is typically given in an office visit.

I'm guessing those numbers expressed as a percentage refer to Ejection Fraction which is a measure of the 'pumping capacity' of the heart (muscle). It is understandable that the Surgeon would want to verify those numbers for himself. The Normal Range in a Healthy person is 50 to 70%. Note that Echocardiogram measurements are Highly Dependent on the Skill and Experience of the Echo Technician.

'AL Capshaw'

Al - thank you for giving me the term ejection fraction. When I spoke to my father he reminded me that the number was 33 a couple of years ago when the Defibrilator/Pacemaker was inserted and now is 30 and he has no idea where the 18 came from. He did have a recent catherization and prior to that a stress test in May. It is a good thing to have the doctor at the Cleveland Clinic do his own testing and did say he wants to see my father in person whereby more can be determined than just looking over his records. My father told me there are 2 irreversibles and that is the damage on the left side from his heart attack and old age. I will decidedly hope for the best and plan the opening of the school year so I can get there to be with both of them. Until then I am reading and learning, grateful for the wisdom and support herein, thank you once again.

There can be a fair amount of variation in Readings derived from an EchoCardiogram since they are highly dependent on the skill and experience of the technician performing the test. I would not be surprised for the *same* technician to even have some finite difference in 2 readings taken a short time apart and the readings of 30 and 33 are most likely virtually identical. The reading of 18 could be of concern, or could simply be 'operator error'.

That said, having your father examined personally by the Surgeon is obviously a good idea.

Hoping for the best.

'AL Capshaw'

I'm glad things are moving along. I know it is a nervous time with so much going on, I hope the surgeon sees what he needs to see to do the surgery and everything goes as smoothly as possible.

Carolyn,

Another 'Ace in the hole' would be Percutaneous Placement of a Tissue Valve (via catheter insertion through a large artery).

Cleveland Clinic is one of the centers exploring this technique in patients deemed not up to 'normal Valve Replacement through the chest'. I'm thinking your father may be a good candidate for this procedure if his heart is deemed too weak for a sternotomy and typical recovery.

Best Wishes,

'AL Capshaw'

Another email from my father - surgical date in September cancelled due to Doctor's conflict w/meeting in Geneva. He will go for testing/consultation in September but does not believe he is a surgical valve repair candidate based on conversation with a pre op nurse. I responded with an inquiry re: this conversation and waiting a reply. Clinic scheduled October 15, if needed, and if done, minimal is off the table.

I'm guessing your father was referred to Dr. Pettersson who is scheduled to speak at a convention in Europe in September.

FYI, Dr. Pettersson is one of the Top Rated Valve Surgeons in the World and possibly the most prolific.

'AL Capshaw'

Doctor's name

Doctor's name

It is not who you mentioned, instead his name is Majelovic (know I am messing up the spelling but it is on my laptop and I am on a desktop). He will have a PET Scan as one of the tests. He mentioned 3 valves involved in his most recent email, I am waiting for clarification because we only knew of the aortic valve. He remains positive and a sense of humor that keeps me smiling.

Latest posts

Back