Families and how they are affected

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Penny,

I knew I'd be curious afterward, so I had a friend take pics of me in ICU. I will try to post it. It's only an hour or so post-op.

Our youngest was 13 at the time, and the only kid still at home, and we let him come in ICU. We figured pretty much anything he saw wouldn't be as bad as what he could imagine.

I woke up very early, post-op, and I clearly remember being on the vent, and being extubated, but I had a friend who's had OHS and I made her advice my last waking thought, pre-op. "Don't fight the vent. It's there to help. Let it breathe for you." That was one of the first thoughts when I woke up, and I think that helped.

BTW, if anyone wants details about my memories of the vent, PM me. I don't mind talking about it. Just don't want to leave the info lying around for some poor-unsuspecting-soul-who-can't-handle-it to find.

Marcia

I don't know what my older children (college freshman and HS Junior) thought, I haven't asked them. My husbands reaction was kind of funny. I had an emergency surgery when my 12 year old was a newborn. He said I looked so bad that time that the nurse was shocked when he said "oh, she doesn't look bad at all". He said he had to explain to her.

Latest posts

Back