Facial Edema

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2leafer

I have a bicuspid aortic valve that has finally progressed to the severe/critical state after 20 years of knowing about it. I decided to travel from Central Oregon to the Cleveland Clinic and have Dr. Gillinov perform the surgery scheduled for Feb. 22, 2010. He is very busy or I'd have it done sooner (I'm traveling alone and will ask for advice in another forum). For the last year I have had swelling/fluid retention around my eyes, bridge of my nose, and sinus areas. I thought it was from my blood pressure medication, lisinopril, but now I believe it is a symptom of my valve progression. I've tried many different classes of blood pressure meds and they all make the swelling worse. I've stayed off all the meds and after 4 to 7 days it gets much much better, but really never goes away. It is always the worst when I wake up in the morning and gets better as the day goes on. I'd quit the BP meds but don't want to add to the stress that my valve is already experiencing. All my research shows that swelling/fluid retention is a common symptom of AI and AS, but always in the ankles and feet. I am hoping it is caused by the progression of my aortic stenosis and will go away with my new tissue valve. My condition has stumped everyone, including the cardiologists, dermotologists, allergists, etc. Has anyone ever had or heard of periorbital edema being a symptom of a valvular disorder or from BP meds?

I had fluid retention throughout my whole body before my 2nd OHS.

It was noticeable in my face, legs, ankles....well, everywhere. I had gained over 30+ pounds of fluids. I could not lay down or be in a reclining position because I simply could not breathe. I was "virtually drowning in my own fluids" as my surgeon put it. About 2 or 3 weeks prior to the surgery, anything I tried to eat or drink, would come back up.

What had prompted this awful situation was that the mechanical mitral valve I had had implanted six months prior, had torn loose from some of its sutures & was leaking severely. After undergoing the surgery to reattach the valve, all the swelling...fluid retention, went away. I was actually very skinny & very lucky to be alive when I returned home 12 days later.

I suspect that after your surgery, you will lose all that fluid & you will feel & look so much better.

So hang in, it will all be better soon. I'll be praying for you. :)

That's a tough one. I would have to blame it on your valve and if I were your Doctor, I'd put you on a small dose of Lasix just to see if it didn't relieve some or all of it. If it is your valve causing it, the extra fluid is not helping your heart situation any. ;)

Couple of things you might try.

First, if you sleep on your stomach, that contributes to facial swelling. You probably don't, but thought I would mention it.

Sleeping on your back or side would be best, and also raising your head up on several pillows will help keep the fluid away from your face.

It gets better as the day goes on due to gravity. The fluid naturally falls into a lower position. That's why raising your head while sleeping may help.

Are you staying to a low sodium diet? That will help a LOT.

BTW, you can get fluid retention anywhere in your body, it isn't just going to stay in the ankles and feet, if it is bad enough. My husband suffered a lot with severe fluid problems, and it was everywhere in his body, feet, ankles, legs, abdomen, lungs, spleen, liver, arms, face, just everywhere. He had to stay on a very low sodium diet, and was on diuretics.

Are you on any diuretics? If not, you may want to call your cardiologist and tell them about what is going on and ask about diuretics.

Valve surgery should help a lot with the fluid problem, after a certain amount of healing time takes place.

Latest posts

Back