Extreme exercise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's probably somewhat difficult to validate the accuracy of a pulse oximeter -- especially if the results vary between meters. My hospital gave me a pulse oximeter - probably not the ones that the use in patient rooms - perhaps the least expensive - but it doesn't work well for me. I got it so I can get a near real-time reading of my pulse. I found out later that my arrhythmia can cause incorrect results.

I haven't read the linked paper (yet), and don't know how far off the oxygen sensors are, but wonder if, even with minor errors, they may accurate enough for general informatino, but not for therapeutic decisions.I

Last edited:
I bought an Oximeter made by Jumper. JPD-500E, LED version. It’s readings appear accurate. The pulse matches my home BP monitor readings anyway. It correlated with the doctor office reading the other day. I know this is not very scientific, but it also indicates low readings when I feel that have had some allergy pollen issues. I can change the oxygen level such as raising it at least a few points after doing pranayama (yoga breathing) such as bashtrika (sp?) bellows breath.
I am happy with it. It was what I would call the medium price range at the time. I think it was in the $75 range. Others were priced at 30-100$

Wow, glad you're still with us
Did they give you any life expectancy of the TAVR?

they said that they dont know what to expect. according to them i am one of the first to be cleared that has not been high risk. i am 51 and in good health other than the valve. their guess was between 10 and 13 years. there just isnt that much data on younger active tavr patients. i would have gone with an OHS tissue again but it just seemed to make more sense timing wise to do the tavr now and then the ohs when im 65 and then another tavr when im 75 (assuming something else doesnt get me).

OK, I'll bite - I'm interested in that "another story."

i think my cardiologist (and I) let me go too long before pushing for me to have my porcine valve addressed. according to them, since i am "athletic" my body compensates for my leaking valve and i dont feel as bad as someone that may be in poorer health. apparently, i should have had the tavr done a few month prior to its actual date. this is how the "issue" was explained to me: during the actual procedure rather than stop the hear to insert the new valve they instead speed the heart up so fast that the old valve basically stays open. they only have to do this for a short time but nevertheless as a result there can be complications (kinda wish they had mentioned this). initially i was scheduled to have my tavr at noon and go home the next day. they said the procedure went fine. however, when they did the echo the next morning there was some concern. their initial explanation was that they thought that maybe a piece of the old valve had gotten dislodged and was blocking the flow to an area of my heart muscle...similar to a heart attack.. over the course of the next few days i did multiple echos and they said the left ventricle (as i recall) was not producing the volume it should. i felt kinda bad. meanwhile they continued to scratch their heads. my ef which was 60 a few weeks earlier had dropped to 21 or 24 or something very low. the final test they did was a stress induced CT (very strange experience). it showed all the supply lines to my heart were flowing normally. no blockages. after a bit more head scratching and 4 days in cardiac recovery they sent me home. the diagnosis was that since my ventricle had expanded prior to surgery the procedure had stunned my heart...and they had seen this before...and that i should probably be back to normal in maybe 6 months. after my one month echo my EF has risen to 40 so i think i am headed in the right direction. i still dont feel recovered and have bouts of dizzyness and have had a few crazy high blood pressure numbers (172/96). strangely, i felt better a few weeks ago. i think putting this down in words has motivated me to follow up with my cardiologist on monday. i dont want to put this off and have them give me the speech again about how i should have known to come in months ago.

Latest posts

Back