Extreme Anxiety, Minimally Invasive, Ross Procedure, and Life Expectancy

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

pellicle

Professional Dingbat
Hi

an excellent perspective piece and I hope it helps the OP

My cardiologist reported high confidence that intervention won’t be required for 10-15 years based on what we know now
that's excellent news ... always better to have substantial time up your sleeve for the possibility of furthering understanding and practice.

Bmorgan4

Hi

an excellent perspective piece and I hope it helps the OP

that's excellent news ... always better to have substantial time up your sleeve for the possibility of furthering understanding and practice.
Yes - I agree. Part of me wishes we wouldn’t have come across this incidental finding but it is certainly safer to know and be monitored. And I feel I have matured in the past 3 months more than I did in the first 35 years. Perspective.

pellicle

Professional Dingbat
Part of me wishes we wouldn’t have come across this incidental finding
back in 2009 my wife and I were planning an epic skiing trip (based on some years of preparitory training in Finland {where we lived}) for the next winter, it was to go from Abisco to Kebnekaise towing sleds. We'd prepared the route but we had to come home (to my home, Australia) because of a few reasons.

I'd noted that my ski track times were plateaued despite better technique and I suspected from the feel of my heart beat that my valve was becoming a limiting factor (the surgery that put it there was in 1992).

Turned out that yes the valve was getting "tired" but the real interest point was the 5.6cm aortic aneurysm they found ... had I done that trip I'd probably have died out there. That would have been very hard for my wife.

To me knowledge is power and understanding and knowledge lead to a peaceful mind as long as you accept truths.

I believe it is the development of our character, to develop resilience in life that is really our true goal. Being happy in good times is easy, Life is not always happy, so being able to cope with the difficulty is what enables us to not become chronically unhappy (and seek always the negative views).

From Marcus Aurelius

1618789804482.png

for us all we have to do is be patient and continue living virtuously.

newarrior

I have mild moderate Aortic Stenosis live Bangkok
VR.org Supporter
1. To me I wanted one and done at age 55. I'd had other surgeries and did not enjoy them or the disruption it does to your life. Plus, my job is not the most secure, so I didn't want to bet on good insurance and a generous disability program for future surgeries. I wasn't offered the Ross procedure, but I believe that's 2 valves impacted and a future replacement. I wouldn't be comfortable with that.

2. TAVR was not available to me, but tissue was. I went mechanical for the one and done concept. Warfarin's biggest impact on me is not being able to take NSAIDs for arthritis and other orthopedic issues.

3. With my St. Jude mechanical both my surgeon and cardiologist told me I would pass on due to something other than my mechanical valve.

A modern philosopher said that if a choice is difficult, that means both paths have equal merit. Take heart in that since you then cannot make a wrong choice...

For anxiety I like exercise, good movies and rote prayer. The rosary works for me. The occasional cigarette helps, but I cannot do that anymore :)
Smoking is the best bad habit..Prayer is wise and has evidence to back it up.. I have arthritis as well; what do you take for pain ? NSAIDS work best for me...Tylenol not as much..Pain cream, exercise, swimming, physical therapy, magnesium, glucosamine help

tom in MO

Smoking is the best bad habit..Prayer is wise and has evidence to back it up.. I have arthritis as well; what do you take for pain ? NSAIDS work best for me...Tylenol not as much..Pain cream, exercise, swimming, physical therapy, magnesium, glucosamine help
NSAIDS are not recommended for people on warfarin. Some doctors disallow them, my cardio allows for up to 3 months at the maximum OTC dose. The problem is NSAIDS can cause stomach bleeding which is hard to treat if you are on anticoagulation agents.

cldlhd

Hi - I am in a similar place as you. 36 year old (competitive cyclist) with incidental finding of BAV. Mild regurg, no stenosis, no aneurism or dilatation. My cardiologist reported high confidence that intervention won’t be required for 10-15 years based on what we know now. As we continue to collect annual echo’s, that may even push out. The averages would say mid 50’s is most common for intervention. But some are lucky to push out further and anywhere between 20-50 percent of people never need intervention. I know it is hard, I also struggle. I always lean back on more recent data that life expectancy for us BAV folks is equal to that of the general population. We are blessed to have the opportunity to live a life of gratitude, understanding that every day is a gift. The life expectancy tables you are quoting are for the non BAV cohorts which are generally replacements due to unhealthy behavior, etc. they are also later in life. It’s all cause mortality they are quoting, so yea a 70 year old getting a new valve wont have great longer term stats:). What worries you the most? Is it the possibility of surgery or are you concerned about reduction of life? Have you talked to a counselor? Sometimes these forums can also raise anxiety. If you find yourself reading too much on here, maybe try setting aside for a while and going on with life? Chances are - you and I are going to have completely different decision criteria when it’s our turn. Technology will have changed. Hopefully, tissue valves will have proven more durable with the TAVR valve in valve technology for round 2. Nobody looks forward to surgery, but try not to let the 15 years before surgery be worse than the surgery itself!! Another way to think about this - imagine you are talking to someone else who is going through what you are. What would you tell them? Isn’t it interesting how your perspective can be much clearer when you take emotion out of it? I Hope this helps you in some way. I feel what you feel, and I know we will both get through this.
I agree, sometimes forums can raise anxiety because you're constantly reading about people with all different kinds of heart issues which if you're the type might get your mind racing about negative possibilities. However it is also a good place to get a lot of relevant information that helps make a decision. I think the positive part to take out of it is there's so many people out here who had surgery that was successful.