Experience with Verapamil?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I've been taking Verapamil ever since I was discharged from the hospital (for major rhythm problems) in early April. I was given Verapamil for the rhythm. It made me very dizzy.

My electrophysiologist reduced my dose, and moved me from an extended relese version to two lower doses. Two of my arrhythmia types were stopped after an ablation, but I was still taking Verapamil. And I was still intermittently dizzy. Neurologist couldn't find any neurological reason for the dizziness, ENT visit by phone didn't find any way to explain the dizziness, and physical therapy that specialized in balance issues didn't see an ENT related cause. Some exercises seemed to help.

PVCs continued, and my heart rate dropped.

Last Saturday, I got a pacemaker. It helped keep my rhythm at 68 or 69, or above (usually at 70). It eliminated the PVCs, but I still have minor rhythm issues.

My dose of Verapamil was reduced, but not eliminated -- and I still get this 'unexplained' dizziness. My electrophysiologist still insists that I continue on Verapamil, and doesn't think that it's responsible for the dizziness.

I know that dizziness is a reported side-effect.

Have YOU had any experience with Verapamil? Have you had side effects? Has it made you dizzy.

Thanks for your comments, no matter what they may be.

I took verapamil for many years (over 20 years) without any adverse reactions other than mild dizziness when getting up from a laying position too quickly. Incidentally, I was taken off it about a year ago after having a defibrillator implanted - but the reason for stopping it was because of a potential interaction with a different drug that I was put on after having the implant done. I don't recall what drug the potential interaction was with.

Thanks for responding.

I've gotten into the habit of (usually) standing for a few seconds after getting out of bed, out of a chair, etc., just to get my balance. I'm experiencing issues if I turn my head quickly, bend a bit funny, or just try to walk. I focus now on standing on my heels, and bending with my heels on the ground (I found that I often place my weight on my toes, pushing the bulk of my upper body weight out into space, instead of onto the legs and heel). Part of the dizziness may be postural - my worn out mattress has a deep valley below my butt -- and I sink into it. Perhaps this is messing with my spine and causing me to shift my weight so that I'm standing with my upper half (above the waist) tilting forward, and throwing my balance off.

I can't afford another mattress. Maybe I'll just sleep on the floor for a while (as long as I can get up off the floor), with Merlin@home next to me. Maybe I'll just dump the mattress and put a mattress topper on the box springe. I doubt that ANY topper will compensate for the dips in the mattress.

Latest posts

Back