Exercising Post Op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ulp! I'm not going to tangle with either of you ladies in a bar brawl!

Kudos to you both.

I'm with you on most of it. I've slowed down a bit. . . but I'm 67 now. I use a pair of 15 lb. handbells for curls, lifts, etc. I typically do sets of 30 reps, as my cardio told me to use light weights but high reps instead of the old routine of bench pressing a bar equal to my own weight for sets.

I also do old-fashioned military push-ups (press-ups, if you're in the UK), in sets of 50. I usually do 2 sets each morning, along with the weights before I dress for work.

You just have to keep on with what you can do - use it or lose it! Keep up the great work. You both are setting great examples for those who follow.

I am currently 4 1/2 months post Aortic Valve replacement with the Freestyle pig valve/root. Post Surgery Exercise has been a bit of a gray area. Being an active 46yr old, it has been challenging working through my rehab and determining how much and how hard I can work at it. My Dr's advice was I should keep my heart rate in "talking" levels while I exercise (ie. being able to talk while running). This roughly equated to 140-150 bm for me. Plus I was recommended weight restrictions for the first three months (5lbs first month, then 10lbs then 15lbs). I spent the first three months following the advise and was up to walking 5 miles per day, lightly spinning and focusing on stretching and breathing. Goal to get my lunges and chest working together again.

Now three months hit, off weight restrictions, and it was time to up the game... I am an avid mountain biker living in the PNW, so I hit the trail at this time. I still tried to managed my hr to keep it in a reasonable range on climbs (140-150). I also started back up in the gym lifting weights. Slowly at first (low weight and high reps), and now I am back up to moderate/high weights. The goal is to slowly build your body back up, in a normal rehab situation. At this time, I am not power/max lifting, as I am still building a strong base.

Overall, I am surprised and happy how well my recovery is going so far. I would not have imagined I would be flying down the trail on my mt bike at his early time in my recovery. I even had my first crash on the trail last weekend and I happy to see I can already handle rough & tough stuff. I would not have thought I would be this well this soon. Hard work, good nutrition and focus can take you a long way down the rode of recovery.

Important to listen to your body. Yes, work towards your recovery, but also take the appropriate times to rest and heal....

Alex;n854176 said:
Has anyones cardiologist told them that they can only do light to moderate aerobic exercises?

I am 24 years old (had ross late 90s then a repeat surgery in 2013 on the aortic and pulmonary valves).

I'm 28, and looks like I've had similar surgeries. I had a Ross in 2003 as a junior in high school. The surgery went well, but I crashed in the ICU afterwards. I gimped along until 2009 when I had my pulmonic and aortic valves replaced.

My childhood cardiologist had told me no competitive sports, no weights, and no strenuous exercise. I can't say I followed that entirely. I switched to an adult cardiology practice as I got older. After the second surgery, my new cardiologist said no limits, just stay away from heavy weights, stay hydrated, watch the blood thinners (St. Jude valve) and listen to my body. I find heavier weights make my sternum ache, anyway (anyone else experience this?). I would definitely say take it slow for a few months after surgery. I took it painfully slow, mostly because my endurance was shot after 6 years of failing valves.

I'm 6 years post-surgery now. I usually stick to a 9-10 minute pace, just because that's what feels natural, but I can run a mile in less than 6 minutes if I push it. I've run marathon distance several times and have another one planned for this fall. And to think that 7 years ago I thought I was doomed to semi-vegetable status...

contarius;n855494 said:
I find heavier weights make my sternum ache, anyway (anyone else experience this?).
I sometimes get a bit of an ache just to one side of my sternum, actually near a place where I was quite numb after surgery. There was a discussion elsewhere on forum about that and, if I remember right, sometimes people were getting that even a few years later. It would seem to be where the bones or muscles attach to the sternum, they've been stretched or pulled during surgery and take longer to heal than bones, seems to be a residual thing. When I get it, it is always 24 - 36 hrs after I have lifted heavy weights so it is just like DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) which is harmless….I would guess a muscle which was cut is reacting ? I'm no expert though, but it has not harmed me personally.

Latest posts

Back