Exercising Post Op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cldlhd;n854291 said:
Oh now I feel old....
actually I think it shows you up as young ... in the early days of the internet (when it was only text) we used tools like USENET which were the original bulletin boards. There such abbreviations as IIRC and HTH were common.

its only us old folks who know the incantations.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I know a good bit of the texting abbreviations -although not sure that's to be boasted about.

cldlhd;n854296 said:
Thanks for the vote of confidence, I know a good bit of the texting abbreviations -although not sure that's to be boasted about.

well ... txting IIRC derived from the sorts of abbreviations that came about on usenet (which of course predates mobile phone texting).

L8r

:)

1 b sur3 d4t 4bbr3v14t10nz w1LL d0m1n4t3 futur3 l4ngu4g3

Paleogirl;n854323 said:
OMG I wonder if these texting and tweeting abbreviations will come into full usage and completely change our written language one day ? ROFL ! L8r !

Not wishing to hijack this thread, but here's a hilarious spoof written by a doctor a couple of years ago in an online doctors' publication, which I copied, about a future where there are online consultations, I just got to share this:

Welcome to On-line Consultations. Our unique software gives you the freedom to access expert medical opinion at any time of the day or night. Please enter your user name and password and you will automatically be taken to an instant messaging service with your own GP.
HeartSink: Hiya Doc ? it's me again!
E-Doc: Hey ASL pls
HeartSink: 23, Fem, Manchester
E-Doc: Hiya Heart what can I do 4 u ?
HeartSink: It's bout my swab results doc, u txt them 2 me yday. ? I told my boyf, NaughtyBoy, that my swab grew up bacterial vaginosis n he called me minging n a slag n that I must av cheated on him or somethin. And then guess what!?
E-Doc: What????
HeartSink: He hit me!!!
E-Doc: No way, OMG!
HeartSink: Yes way! I tried explainin 2 him that it isn't an STI but he didn't believe me. I was so upset that I drank a bottle of vodka wit those antibiotics u prescribed me n I was like totally mashed. I ended up sleepin wit his friend LOL!
E-Doc: PMSL. Hang on Heart, NaughtyBoy has jus come online. I wonder if he's lookin 2 b referred 4 anger management! Brb
HeartSink: ROFL!!!!, hb doc. Oh there is 1 other thing I wanted 2 ask u bout. I've missed my period and I mite b pregnant, can I request an on-line TOP ASAP?
E-Doc: Heart, anythin is possible wit instant access medicine, txt u l8r.
End of Consultation

Actually, it is possible that many of the common abbreviations came from Morse code telegraphers. I've been a ham radio operator for many years, mostly using Morse code. We have always used abbreviations, as that allowed much faster conversation without loss of meaning.

A few common telegraphers' abbreviations:
ANT = antenna
B4 = before
CUL = see you later
HW = how
HR = here
TNX = thanks
BCNU = be seeing you
GND = ground
WRK = work
WX = weather
XMTR = transmitter
RCVR = receiver
YL = young lady
XYL = ex-young lady (wife)

Most of these were "common sense" shortenings of often used words, formed by deletion of vowels.

epstns;n854327 said:
Actually, it is possible that many of the common abbreviations came from Morse code telegraphers. I've been a ham radio operator for many years, mostly using Morse code. We have always used abbreviations, as that allowed much faster conversation without loss of meaning.
an excellent working theory. Now I feel positively myopic on the origins, its potentially hundreds of years.

To the OP,
My cardiologist used to say take it easy. Now he doesn't give me any advice. He says I look good, it sounds good and the echo looks good. My surgeon performed the surgery so that I could go back to doing what I did before my diagnosis and I was aware of the risks. I'm not on any meds. My pre surgery HR was from 43 to 188. Now it is 48 to 177. I've raced hour long races, ridden 10 hour hard rides, and a 187 mile long ride. Post surgery, my first racing was after 7 months of training.

I'm a rock climber and cyclist. The type of climbing that i mostly do (boudlering) requires very intense moves similar to weightlifting, though I am only lifting my own body weight. I do plenty of pullups to train for climbing. I also lift weights; heavy, but I do not max out. I mostly lift light/medium weight, high rep. My current cardiologist gives me no restrictions. He is not worried about my ascending aorta, since it was fully replaced with a dacron graft. His only concern is having an accident and having bleeding issues because of the bloodthinners. I know that risk, and I take that risk with caution while rock climbing. As far as heart function is concerned, he is confident that it can handle anything.

The Thief;n854574 said:
I'm a rock climber and cyclist. The type of climbing that i mostly do (boudlering) requires very intense moves similar to weightlifting, though I am only lifting my own body weight. I do plenty of pullups to train for climbing. I also lift weights; heavy, but I do not max out. I mostly lift light/medium weight, high rep. My current cardiologist gives me no restrictions. He is not worried about my ascending aorta, since it was fully replaced with a dacron graft. His only concern is having an accident and having bleeding issues because of the bloodthinners. I know that risk, and I take that risk with caution while rock climbing. As far as heart function is concerned, he is confident that it can handle anything.

Thanks, good to hear

I was just posting some piccies of me weight lifting today on another forum and thought I'd post some here:

Me doing chest press 22 kilos (48.5 pounds), 11 kilos (24 pounds) each arm:
chestpress.jpg

Me doing biceps concentration curl, 9 kilos (20 pounds):
DSC04730.jpg

I do Super Slow high intensity weight lifting, 10 sec lift, 10 sec lower (breathing fast throughout), three or four reps to failure, two or three times a week, a series of about seven different exercises. I'm 62 yo, had AVR 15 months ago.

Hi Jim - for my legs I do squats with weights in each hand, sometimes with a bar on my back/shoulders squatting down….and I walk a few miles every day. I can't afford gym membership right now otherwise I'd be doing leg press and knee extension there, but needs must and I find I can a lot wth free weights.

Hi Jim - the weights were really good value, I bought a set in a case (got them delivered from Amazon or another supplier, I can't remember which). I then bought some more weights when I wanted to add more than the original kit contained. If you get a set which is sold in most sports/gym stores then it's easy to add as you progress. I also got a weight lifting bench which is essential for many exercises as you need something very strong and stable….not for leg exercises though, you just need the weights. When I did cardiac rehab I got an EZ bar which takes the same make of weights as my dumbell bars (York), so that is really handy for when I'm doig squats with the bar across my shoulders. All sorts of ways of doing these things. All the best !

Paleogirl;n855451 said:
I was just posting some piccies of me weight lifting today on another forum and thought I'd post some here:

Me doing chest press 22 kilos (48.5 pounds), 11 kilos (24 pounds) each arm:
chestpress.jpg

Me doing biceps concentration curl, 9 kilos (20 pounds):
DSC04730.jpg

I do Super Slow high intensity weight lifting, 10 sec lift, 10 sec lower (breathing fast throughout), three or four reps to failure, two or three times a week, a series of about seven different exercises. I'm 62 yo, had AVR 15 months ago.

That's fantastic, Paleogirl! Great to see someone at 62 years of age in such great shape and so motivated on your own! Keep it up.
I also lift weights at the gym and attend cardio and group strength classes at least 3 times a week. Being in a 'classroom' environment keeps me going. I probably wouldn't be as motivated as you doing it on my own.

Hi Ottagal - I really love weight training, the motivation for me is that I get stronger, I get a thrill out of that. I started weight training when I was diagnosed with osteoporosis just over seven years ago. Doing strength training stimulates the osteoblasts to help make new bone. I could never have guessed I would enjoy it so much and it would be so beneficial for my health. I sometimes watch Youtube videos of exercises and then I find I have a little trainer in my head encouraging me ! Though I really don't need encouragement because I enjoy it so much. I have to confess that not being able to afford to go to the gym is kind of nice because I don't have to think about how I 'look' ! The gym I went to is full of male body builders or young female 'posers' so I often felt self conscious being a middle aged woman using a Super Slow technique !

Back