Exercise in Extreme Temperatures

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeakyValve

With apologies to all if this topic has been covered many times over...does anyone know if we (Mitral Valve Repair/Replacement) are to be included in the warnings for heart patients NOT to exercise in extreme temperatures? Are we at increased risk over the average Joes and Josephines because of our OHS history? Or is this warning more for the heart disease folks?

Thanks!
Michal

I am not sure of the risk, but I have noticed the my HR is very sensitive when I run in the heat and humidity....to the point where my pace will slow down by almost a minute per mile just to hold the same HR. Perhaps this sensitivity is my body telling me something? Anyways, this week we have been experiencing temps close to 100 in Chicago, so I have moved all my running indoors.

I also think our individual situations differ, too. Last summer I was struggling in the heat. That was about 6 months before surgery for severe AS. Now I am about 5 months post-op and in spite of the post-op complications I feel better now than I did then. The one thing I can't yet do is run. For all lesser endeavors (walking long distances, hills, etc.) I'm doing better now. Probably lots of things are involved.

My short answer would be that we probably all should be more vigilant in temperature extremes, just because. . .

Im 8 weeks post AVR I have been walking 6 miles a day at a 17 min. pace and Ive decided to slow down. Its just to tuff in this heat and humidity now in texas, I had planed to increase my milege, not now im on hold until the weather cools. and it looks like that could be late september.

Its just to tuff in this heat and humidity now in texas, I had planed to increase my milege, not now im on hold until the weather cools. and it looks like that could be late september.

IMHO, because I don't know if you are a seasoned runner: I moved to TX in 1985 from the NE, the first 30+ days were 100+ degrees. During the summer months, if you can't run before the sun comes up or before 8:00 a.m. or after 7:00 p.m., run at the gym or Y if you belong to one. The key is to get acclimated to the heat, hydrate well before you run, if you are running more than 3 or 4 miles, carry water with you, and hydrate immediately after your run. Room temperature water/gatoraide absorbs faster than cold. Bottles come in small sizes now that they are easier to carry along, some folks buy those bottle holders to have around their waist. I can't do that, too distracting for me. Rather than running 6 miles this early in your recovery, cut in half and see how you feel. If you are running every day, try every other day instead too.

Sometimes, here in TX it doesn't cool down until mid October :wink2: Easier to say than do: take your time, you have a brand new life ahead of you so no need to rush right now. Good luck with your running. :)

I tried to run the other morning at 5:30am. I wanted to do six but settled for four miles. I was soaked.

It is certainly difficult for anyone to run in this weather....it seems heart patients are a little more wary of it....we might be a little more in tune with our bodies Post op.....

I should not be complaining, CA weather is generally so mild. But I have noticed I feel awful brisk walking in the sun. My left side feels weak. Have to do it before the sun is beating down. I think humidity makes it worse.

My cardiologist -- who is into jogging, biking, etc. -- told me yesterday that it's too dangerous for most folks to be jogging, etc., in our Texas heat. I told him it was too hot to do any walking or anything. He agreed.

Im not running I walk, I go at 6;30 every morning .The temp. is about 82 with about 85% humidity, If I dont go over 6 miles and not faster than 18 minutes per mile I have no problems. The problems come if I increase the miles or speed. I really dont notice it on the walk but the recovery is much tougher and I feel bad the rest of the day. Shorter distance and slower pace seems to be the answer until we get a break in this God awful weather!

Mike - How goes it? Have you noticed a difference since your surgery in the way your body handles the heat? I don't really and I haven't been advised to be any more cautious than I was pre-op (before I was "fixed"). I avoided hard riding on high heat/humidity days before my surgery and I continue to do it now. And I don't ride outside at all on "Code Orange" or "Code Red" days unless it's at 5 - 6:00AM. I assume you're still racing though, in which case, you kinda, sorta, have to simulate all possible conditions right? I was planning to do the Reston BIke Club ride tonight but will be doing the Jeff's basement trainer ride instead where the air is "code Green" the temperature is 76 and the fan is on high.

Back