Exercise and dizziness

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Hello all! I have had aortic regurgitation for a while and am in the waiting room. As of 5 years ago, the cardiologist told me to avoid "competitive exercise". I had my echo in March and things are stable. I always loved sports growing up. As my son is growing up, with the World Cup around, and being an avid soccer fan, I could not help but go play with him and other people in our neighborhood. I had a great time and enjoyed myself tremendously. The biggest problem is that I would forget that I have a heart condition and typically not notice how long I had played until a few times, I started getting so out of breath that I had to lie down or felt exhausted the rest of the day --- as in, I just want to lie down. The last time I felt a little dizzy. Wondering whether this is the effect of the BP meds, Altace and Coreg (Beta Blocker) or the valve. I have since taken up being goalie but must admit I have a hard time watching it all and not partaking as much or as long as I want.
Has anyone had similar experiences in terms of feeling this tired due to the BP meds and not the actual aortic regurgitation? I have cut back on playing already but trying to figure out if it is me or the meds.
Best regards,
Rick

Has anyone had similar experiences in terms of feeling this tired due to the BP meds and not the actual aortic regurgitation? I have cut back on playing already but trying to figure out if it is me or the meds.

I've taken BP & BB meds for nearly 30 years and could never attribute any dizziness to them.

I had severe regurgitation prior to my AVR in June. I would notice dizziness and extreme fatigue after mountain biking or stair climbing from time to time. With a large regurgitation you're not getting the necessary circulation. Dizziness may be attributable to the meds, but theres a good chance it is due to the inefficient valve as well.

I too have taken bp meds w/o problems. I would do as your cardio suggested, that's what you pay them for:). It's not worth risking your life for a soccer game.

I have had 4+ aortic regurgitation for 5 years and finally started to get so breathless after exertion that I am having surgery mid August. I never had any dizziness from BP meds, currently Losartin. The only restriction I had was lifting any heavy weight over my head. My cardiologist told me I would know when to rest and I would know when to ask for surgery. So I asked for surgery but am still active, just not as active or performant as I was six months ago.

But everyone is different and the most important thing is to listen to a doctor you completely trust.

I was never on a beta blocker (Metoprolol) until after surgery, but my BP would dip to the low 90s and that would make me dizzy if I turned my head quickly, or stood up too fast. After four weeks my cardiologist took me off of them.

Back