Everything about Warfarin, vit. K, drug interactions, etc.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea why they put .DOC files up there instead of PDF ... wrong on so many levels (for instance macro virus).

However its a nice set of simple guidance for people just starting out *(but far from everything).

I disagree with:

Alcohol can affect your warfarin therapy, but you do not need to avoid alcohol altogether. We suggest that alcohol intake be limited to 1 drink per day (4 oz wine, 1.5 oz hard liquor, 12 oz beer). Do not drink more than usual. Serious problems may occur with alcohol and warfarin when you drink more than 2 drinks a day or when you change your usual drinking pattern. Be wary during special occasions or holidays – drink only what you usually do on any day of the week.​
This is basically abstinence, considering that a drink before dinner, wine/beer with the meal, an aperitif and a nightcap were once considered a social norm.

I was told by the pharmacist who gave me warfarin education that drinking and warfarin is a problem if:
  • you puke out your warfarin,​
  • forget to take your warfarin,​
  • upset your stomach or intestines so much the warfarin isn't properly metabolized or​
  • get drunk and hurt yourself and the additional bleeding due to warfarin makes a problem (e.g hit your head.)​
I have been told by a cardiologist's nurse that drinking on warfarin is not recommended, however this was rescinded when I checked with her boss, my cardio. I've found over the years the anti-alcohol members of society like to push their agenda in new restrictions, from not allowing alcohol where it once was to recommending virtual abstinence whenever possible.

"I have been told by a cardiologist's nurse that drinking on warfarin is not recommended, however this was rescinded when I checked with her boss, my cardio. I've found over the years the anti-alcohol members of society like to push their agenda in new restrictions, from not allowing alcohol where it once was to recommending virtual abstinence whenever possible "​
Tom,​
I have noticed this too. There are a number of studies which indicate that 1-2 drinks per day may actually reduce cardiac events and lower overall mortality. There are some abstinence groups that are very upset with this and have actually funded studies trying to claim otherwise. Now, I am clearly biased, but I am going to lean into the studies that say that moderate drinking is good for me, :)

"I have been told by a cardiologist's nurse that drinking on warfarin is not recommended, however this was rescinded when I checked with her boss, my cardio. I've found over the years the anti-alcohol members of society like to push their agenda in new restrictions, from not allowing alcohol where it once was to recommending virtual abstinence whenever possible "​
Tom,​
I have noticed this too. There are a number of studies which indicate that 1-2 drinks per day may actually reduce cardiac events and lower overall mortality. There are some abstinence groups that are very upset with this and have actually funded studies trying to claim otherwise. Now, I am clearly biased, but I am going to lean into the studies that say that moderate drinking is good for me, :)

My personal feeling is moderate drinking is good for me too :) but then I'm part Irish and part German...Being overweight, my biggest risk with alcohol is the extra calories.

Reactions: Eva
I thought that I would share my recent experience with alcohol and INR.

We had a family reunion last week in La Quinta, CA from Thursday to Sunday. It was a high of 116-120F in La Quinta last week 🥵. We all spent the day by the pool in the cabana sipping mixed drinks and then played board games at night, while drinking some more. No one really got drunk, but when I stopped to estimate how many drinks I was having per day, it was a very high number for me, about 8-12/day. And this was 4 days in a row.

I took my INR the morning that we left for the trip. It was 2.4. Then, the morning following our return I checked it again and it was 2.7, a little higher, but still very much in my target range of 2.0-3.0. I do estimate that this small increase was due to the alcohol, as I have been very consistently at 2.3 to 2.4 INR.
I may never drink this many drinks in a 4 day period ever again, but it was good to get the data that my INR did not move much, despite having something in the range of 40 drinks over 4 days.

I may never drink this many drinks in a 4 day period ever again, but it was good to get the data that my INR did not move much, despite having something in the range of 40 drinks over 4 days.
I feel that in the interests of science you need to repeat this a few times, perhaps once with no alcohol but drinking (say) tomato juice instead (no, not bloody marys) and acting in a similar way (such as staying up as late and whatnot).

Perhaps a double blind? (you know, getting drunk twice ;-)

I feel that in the interests of science you need to repeat this a few times,

I think it would not take much arm twisting to get me to repeat the experiment! 🤣

I've noticed that when they do clinical trials to study the effects of alcohol on various things, when one reads the "Methods" section, you usually find that they recruited college kids for the study. I imagine that they have found that it is relatively easy to find willing participants 🤣

Latest posts

Back