Even if you have never watched a hockey game in your life:

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis S

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Although I now live in New Mexico, I lived most of my life in Minnesota, perhaps the hockey capitol of the United States. The United States, of course, is much more populated than Canada. But when it comes to hockey fanatics, the Canadians almost certainly tip the scale on their neighbors to the South. Women's hockey is a great sport, and I love to watch it. The Canadian women have already locked up their gold medal.

But to me, men's hockey is a completely different sport. The hockey rink is a last bastion for speed, grit and a controlled level of violence that you won't see on the right side of the law anyplace else. The level of effort required is so high that, near the end of the game, you will see superbly conditioned athletes unable to sustain the effort for more than a minute at a time. There are no huddles, and just one timeout per game. Hockey is theater displaying a portion of the male psyche that you won't see anywhere else. If you have a chance, you shouldn't miss this game. Like all great sporting events, circumstances have conspired to add to the drama of this gold medal game. Two great teams will go for gold on the ice today. You can find out more by following this link to an article in the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/sports/olympics/28game.html?ref=sports

Last edited:
I won't miss this game. As a canadian living in the U.S. I have to listen to a lot of joking from friends but I will be rooting for my Canadian players. Don't know that the husband is going to like how intense I am going to be. But oh well I have been able to somewhat convert him to a hockey fan. He's an ottawa fan. So maybe we'll both be watching. Should be a terrific game. Now it is about redemption for the canadians because I am sure the fans that were at the preliminary game were not happy about the outcome.

I'll be watching. I attended college in a Minnesota town and the ice hockey rink was beside our dorm. I tried it a few times, but I'm not very good on ice skates so it was an exercise in futility.
Not being able to play never diminished my enthusiasm for the game. I'll be rooting for the USA but won't be terribly disappointed if Canada wins the game. I LOVE OUR CANADIAN VR MEMBERS!

Kick Canadian butt. :D hahahahahaha.... Superbob knoweth not of hockey, and doesn't really care. We could beatya in baseball (I think), esp. if we can use our players from the Dominican Republic. :p

Okay, should be a fun day. Way to go, Canada, it's been a fun Olympics!

That was one heck of a game! What was even more awesome for me being a canadian was the fact that it was on home soil and to hear all of the fans sing the national anthem. I had a lump in my throat listening to it. The teams were so evenly matched. Neither team deserved to lose that game but I suppose it had to happen.

ohcanada.gif

Congratulations on a great game and an awesome Olympics!

It was a great game. My heart really sank when U.S.A. tied it up as I really thought Canada had it in the bag at that point. It just meant we could enjoy a bit more excitement as the play continued. Both teams were terrific and it made for very exciting hockey.

What ... an ... AWESOME ... hockey game! In the words of Harry Caray, HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I wish the USA would've won (after all, Canada DID beat the USA for the gold medal at the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City), but ... holy cow. Down 2-1 with less than 30 seconds left and they TIED it. And, OT ... was a sweet way to end the Olympics, even though the USA lost.....

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker * my radio show.03/13/10 *
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I can't stop grinning" ... Shelly West ... 'Jose Cuervo'

Back