Evaluated for TAVR Tomorrow

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi @morellib , I would take this

and add to it the following "frame of reference" for your analysis:
how long do you anticipate living for (all things being equal).

Because you don't want to find yourself in need of a surgical OHS type intervention 10 years from now when the valve in valve of the TAVI is at end of life.

remember, each time you insert something into a hole the hole becomes smaller (which is why I prefer to think of TAVI not R which implies replacement which may be a false premise.

Myself I'd have a good hard look at a Inspiris Resilia or even perhaps a St Jude mechanical depending on what you think are the probabilities that you'll need AntiCoagulation Therapy anyway in later years.

We indeed have 80 year olds on ACT here and probably the most common finding of people who start ACT is "wow, its nothing like I feared it would be".

I'll again recommend my above blog post to you.

Best Wishes
Might I qualify since my next birthday is the 80th one and had an AVR at age 55 and been on warfarin for 23 yrs now with absolutely no problems, even small ones. Two years ago, I signed on the dotted line to join a trial for Abbott Labs Tendyne mitral valve which also went south. I had 4 Cardiothorasic surgeons in my room pre-surgery answering my many questions - this was a mitral valve trial. Both valves are fine, I have been home testing warfarin since Dec. 1999. Best Wishes!

This thread has been very interesting and informative.
I had MVR (St. Jude mechanical) on June 24, 2003. I adjusted to life on warfarin and I have home-tested for 19 years. I am 72 now. My husband died in July from Alzheimer's.
My cardio is now monitoring my aortic valve. He has said that I would possibly be a candidate for TAVR.
My MV had failed by the time I had surgery in 2003, so my recovery was longer. My recovery and return to "normal life" (whatever that is) took longer because of that.
Based on what I have read in this thread, I would subject my body to another OHS and get another St. Jude mechanical (now an Abbott, I believe) over having TAVR.
I will have a long list of questions or my cardio on my next visit (Jan. 16).

Just wanted to give everyone an update and again thank everyone for helping me make my decision. I’m one week post SAVR with a 25mm Edwards Inspiris Resilia valve and am feeling very good. Of course, typical stiffness and soreness, but haven’t used anything but XS Tylenol since surgery plus 2. I went home day 4 after surgery and have some mild post surgical afib, but they’re confident it will go away. My appetite and sleep are good and I’m enjoying doing my walks. I know there will be bumps in the road but I’m happy with my decision and grateful to the wonderful surgeons and nurses at the Valve Clinic at Vanderbilt University….

Glad to hear it’s going well. I had a bout of arterial flutter shortly after being released home it’s pretty common for that and a fib after the surgery, I only had the one bout and that was a few months ago.

Bill, glad to hear things went well. I am 10 months from getting the Inspiris Resilia valve and feeling great! I am obviously very interested in following experiences with this valve. I wish you a continued excellent recovery!

Five weeks post surgery tomorrow and had my follow-up with my surgeon today. She released me to drive (yay!) and to start my formal cardiac rehab tomorrow. I’m walking 4 miles per day with no problems and she was very pleased with my progress. No signs of the post surgery afib but will wear a monitor for 7 days so she and my cardiologist can be comfortable stopping my metoprolol and letting my heart rate take its natural course during rehab as I slowly ramp up intensity to get back to cycling fitness. As someone who was at first toying with the idea of TAVR, I am so glad I went the surgical route. To those struggling with the decision about OHS, I have several observations, understanding of course that everyone’s different: The first few days in ICU were busy, a little disorienting because of the number of different things being done, and somewhat uncomfortable, but it wasn’t the painful journey I expected. The days in the step-down room were even better and as lines, catheters, chest tubes were removed there was an immediate improvement in discomfort level and the ability to sleep (although removing the chest tubes was probably the most discomfort I felt in the hospital!) Getting home I found that rigorously focusing on doing what they told you to do like breathing exercises, logging your BP, HR, weight, etc., and walking was my job and kept me in a positive mindset that allowed me to take pride in each incremental piece of recovery. I also feel that much of my success in recovery had something to do with the general good endurance fitness I brought into the surgery. There are very few medical experiences that I can say were better than expected, but this was one of them……Bill

Getting home I found that rigorously focusing on doing what they told you to do like breathing exercises, logging your BP, HR, weight, etc., and walking was my job and kept me in a positive mindset that allowed me to take pride in each incremental piece of recovery
excellent ... keep up the good work and soon it'll be in your rear vision mirror

Latest posts

Back