epidural or not to epidural is the question?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrietW

Attitude of Gratitude
Last week while at my pre op administration and whilst in discussions with the Anesthesiologist The option to have an epidural was mentioned. Reasons for and against or pros n cons were discussed the biggest pro was faster delivery of meds but of also being weaned off medication more specifically opiates much fast as well as a quicker recovery.
Q. What's are your thoughts on this ?
Q. Did you have an epidural or opt not to have one.

Cons l suppose were for me more back pain discomfort afterwards ...
As much las l hate an epidural l was drawn to a quicker detox or weaning process as l have mentioned before on this site my addiction history with opiates. I am now thinking of changing my mind.

Looking for pros and cons to having an epidural administered. Anybody !

That option was not offered to me, but I think I'd have said "no" if it had been; I wouldn't want any injections near my spine. My nurses stayed well ahead of any pain I had while I was in the hospital, and I went home with no pain to speak of. I don't think my recovery would have been any quicker than it was. My issues were with the pleural effusion (fluid buildup) which made it difficult to breath. Medications had nothing to do with that.

Just my opinion :)

Good point honeybunny !!
Anyone l have ever spoken to is if any opiates and without pain on discharge. I don't think l need one l had one delivering my son 35 yrs ago and from what l remember it was pure hell worse than the delivery itself and 6 mths of back pain that followed. They also expected problems with my lungs it's kind of a given as l already have a problem and l don't think these kind of meds will have anything to do with there function except cause more problems to be honest.
Thank you and that was my first gut reaction and second guessed myself last minute so l think l will change my mind.
Xx

Back