Ep study and ablation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul1972

Hi all , I’m due to have a ep study and maybe an ablation and I’m interested to hear any of your experiences . I’m a bit concerned about my merchanical valve being damaged in any way in the process am I right to be or am I just worring to much . Paul x

Hey Paul,

I have a mechanical mitral valve (Oct 2018) and was having recurring arrhythmias, most concerning was atrial flutter. The cardiologist referred me to an electrophysiologist who recommended ablation. I had the procedure for the flutter in Jan 2019. At first, I couldn't see a lot of improvement, but perhaps I was hyper-vigilant. After about 3 or 4 weeks, I could really see an improvement -- no more flutter and overall rhythm seemed better. Now 3 months post ablation, my rhythm is amazingly (to me) solid.

I have to admit, I was more worried about the ablation than I was the valve replacement. To me, I had more to lose (i.e. I had to have the valve replacement, ablation was a choice). Though the statistics on successful ablation were overwhelmingly positive (98% success rate, 0.05% complication rate), I was still nervous. Now, looking back, it is one of the best things I've ever chosen to do. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Last edited:
Hi Egar , Great to hear you are doing well and thankyou so much for your feedback it means a lot to me . I must admit I feel the same as you did, the anurysam and valve replacement both times was out of my hands to, and having this ablation is my choice i just don’t won’t to disturb everything 😊Once again thanks for your reply it’s good to here these success stories . Take care Paul 👍

Paul,
I had an ablation procedure in March 2018. The pesky A-Fib/Flutter came back and had to repeat the ablation in June. This time most "focal sites" were eliminated and with my MRI Medtronic pacemaker am ticking along fine. Good luck and I hope this helps.

James

Hi Egar , Great to hear you are doing well and thankyou so much for your feedback it means a lot to me . I must admit I feel the same as you did, the anurysam and valve replacement both times was out of my hands to, and having this ablation is my choice i just don’t won’t to disturb everything 😊Once again thanks for your reply it’s good to here these success stories . Take care Paul 👍

Thanks for starting this post. I’m in your same position and very scared about the ablation damaging any of my two valves! Hope there will be more replies!

Hey folks -- just be sure to remind the team that if you have an artificial aortic valve, if they want to do a cath (angiogram), then they must go in through the femoral artery in the groin. These days many angiograms are done through the radial artery in the wrist to minimize recovery, BUT using the radial artery raises the risk of damaging your artificial valve significantly.

When I had the cath prior to replacing one of my pacemaker wires in 2016, I had to be sure to talk to the interventional cardiologist myself to ensure that they used the femoral artery. Their standard orders (at one of Chicago's top hospitals) showed the default of using the radial artery.

Wow--thanks, Steve. I've been recently discovered to have VSD (probably as a result of my most recent valve replacement, definitely not congenital). Right now no symptoms, but if they ever decide it needs work, I think an angiogram is one of the diagnostics, after TEE.

Please do. Good luck.
Hi Eva , I had my ep study and ablation today , all went well and they told me that there was no need to worry about my mechanical valve. I was diagnosed as having Typical AVNRT which was ablated so Hopfully I will notice a difference. Good luck. Paul x

Hi Eva , I had my ep study and ablation today , all went well and they told me that there was no need to worry about my mechanical valve. I was diagnosed as having Typical AVNRT which was ablated so Hopfully I will notice a difference. Good luck. Paul x
I’m happy for you, Paul. Congratulations.
Thank you for the update. I’m sure you’ll feel much better. Enjoy your renewed health.

So you had SVT (which is what I have), which means the ablation was on the right side?! Do you know?! Not to worry if not. Just for my mind.
I saw the Electrophysiologist yesterday. He said SVT/atrial flutter source of arrhythmia comes from the right side of the heart, which he said he can safely ablate that portion. While the atrial flutter ablation might be more risky because of the mechanical valves. And the EP STUDY will determine which side for sure!
For now, he took me off the anti-arrhythmic medicine (Amiodarone) and doubled my beta-blocker dosage (Metoprolol). I’m seeing him in 7 weeks to determine whether I can stay on medication or I’ll need ablation!
Cheers.

I’m happy for you, Paul. Congratulations.
Thank you for the update. I’m sure you’ll feel much better. Enjoy your renewed health.

So you had SVT (which is what I have), which means the ablation was on the right side?! Do you know?! Not to worry if not. Just for my mind.
I saw the Electrophysiologist yesterday. He said SVT/atrial flutter source of arrhythmia comes from the right side of the heart, which he said he can safely ablate that portion. While the atrial flutter ablation might be more risky because of the mechanical valves. And the EP STUDY will determine which side for sure!
For now, he took me off the anti-arrhythmic medicine (Amiodarone) and doubled my beta-blocker dosage (Metoprolol). I’m seeing him in 7 weeks to determine whether I can stay on medication or I’ll need ablation!
Cheers.
Hi Eva , hope you are well , yes the ablation was on the right side and it was Svt in which they said the ablation should be 90% successful . They have told me to stay on betablockers as it is good long term for hearts health . All the best Paul

Reactions: Eva
My DH, darling husband, is undergoing ablation on June 4. I’m almost as nervous about it as I was for my avr. He had an echo yesterday and they needed to add contrast at the end to better see the atrium’s apex. Anyone know why and if this is standard protocol for afib? He has a CT scan in three weeks, then a TEE a few days before the ablation. Does this sound like your experience Paul and Eva? I recognize afib following valve surgery is different from afib resulting from CAD but that’s about all I know!

Hi ,Duffy I couldn’t tell you about having the contrast as I didn’t have that .As far as the ablation goes I no it’s hard not to worry but it really Was painless and straightforward, and I wasn’t even sedated in the process, they asked me if I wanted it and I didn’t feel the need for it, that’s how I felt anyway😊I must admit the TEE procedure was more of a ordeal for me as I do gag quite easily 😏Good luck and all the best to your husband xx

Hi Duffy. I’m sorry about your husband. I hope all will go well.
I think all these tests have to be done depending on one’s situation...time AFib happened and age of patient. So, in my case and being at 67, I had the nuclear contrast imaging after the stress test. And if Electrophysiologist thinks medications are not working well, I’ll have an EP study to determine which side of heart is causing the flutter! So, the more tests, the more sure doctors are of the next step and of it’s success.
It’s nerve recking! Best of luck and keep us informed,

Last edited:
Thanks, Paul and Eva for the replies. Hubby’s procedure will be performed under general anesthesia with a night spent in the hospital. The doctor says he will need to be off work for a week, maybe longer. He does have moderate CAD so that might explain why his procedure will require the general anesthesia while Paul’s was only a local.

Latest posts

Back