enlarged heart/cardiomyapathy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hensylee

Hey, y'all, you haven't seen me for some time; but a VR member never goes very far and I have kept up somewhat.

I just went to son's in beautiful Fl to get warmth and lovely skies. The morning after I got there, son's wife insisted they take me to ER. Pneumonia, which I have had for some time, probably and it's gone as of an xray yesterday. From xrays (or something), the ER dr detected enlarged heart so naturally I looked it up. I will be seeing a cardiologist soon as I can get an appointment here (I am back home now) In the meantime, can someone give me an overview of cardiomyopathy? Preciate y'all. blessins...........

note: I had quad bypass, not valve replacement in March, 2000.

From what I understand, cardiomyopathy can result from an infection or a strain on the heart. If I remember correctly, it can sometimes improve dramatically if caught and treated quickly enough.

Ann, Glad to hear from you, but sorry for the reason.Sorry you are having problems, I hope you are feeling better from your pnuemonia.

Now I know people say please don't worry too much and drive your self nuts until you have better answers, but this is one of those times that REALLY is true, since it can be so many different things.

Did the ER doctor say "Cardiomyopathy", or did they just say "enlarged heart"? I hope I don't make you more confused, but you can have an "enlarged heart" for a few different reasons, one of them is Cardiomyopathy, which is a disease where the heart muscle becomes weaker so causes your heart muscles to become thicker (or thinner depending on the type) and heart enlarged. But an "Enlarged heart" (cardiomegaly) can be several different things that cause you heart to get bigger than Normal, anything from high blood pressure to thyroid problems, valve problems, Arrhymnia too much iron in your blood..... So pretty much IF you have cardiomyopathy you have an enlarged heart, BUt if you have an enlarged heart, you don't always have cardiomopathy.

Also depending how big your heart is can play alot into if you need some kind of treatment or not, FWIW Justin has had a really BIG heart forever, but he doesn't have cardiomyopathy and doesn't take any meds etc , we Just know it's enlarged so tell people when he has a XRay for some reason.

What kind of treatment you need, (If you need treatment or is it just something to keep an eye on) for an enlarged heart or cardiomopathy depends on what the cause is and how severe it is. Usually for an enlarged heart once they figure out the cause, they treat that and often your heart can get back to or close to your normal size. IF it has been getting worse for a long time, it might not get completely better, but since you probably get yearly or so check ups, it probably was caught early.

Even with cardiomyopathy, there are 3 (or 4) different kinds and depending which kind, dilated (walls getter thinner and enlarge), hypertrophic (walls get thicker and enlarge) and restrictive (muscle can't expand as well to fill up) determines the what kind of treatments.

Here are links to both Enlarged heart http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/enlarged-heart/DS01129 and Cardiomyopathy http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cardiomyopathy/DS00519 that have good descritions of they different types, causes treatment etc

Last edited:
I echo what the others have said. I am sorry that you are going through this, but nice to see you 'back' on the board. Keeping you in my thoughts.

I am sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well Hensy....

I am sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well Hensy....

Ole Harrybaby hasn't been doing too terrific either, so we are a matched set...LOL....I found out in December that I have Syringomyelia and potentially Myasthenia Gravis....its been a rough couple of months....I am hoping they will get your Cardiomyopathy under control and get you to feeling better fast....:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2: Harrybaby:biggrin2:

that is so interesting and I had no idea of other things it could be. I am trying to get an appt w/a local cardio in the new area where I live. I have not been to a cardio for a couple years and knew a visit is long overdue. I was only told 'enlarged heart' that showed up on the x-ray for pneumonia. thanks for this information. it's like starting over after 11 yrs! One (as old as me) forgets stuff.

Please give my hello to Justin.

Ann, Glad to hear from you, but sorry for the reason.Sorry you are having problems, I hope you are feeling better from your pnuemonia.

Now I know people say please don't worry too much and drive your self nuts until you have better answers, but this is one of those times that REALLY is true, since it can be so many different things.

Did the ER doctor say "Cardiomyopathy", or did they just say "enlarged heart"? I hope I don't make you more confused, but you can have an "enlarged heart" for a few different reasons, one of them is Cardiomyopathy, which is a disease where the heart muscle becomes weaker so causes your heart muscles to become thicker (or thinner depending on the type) and heart enlarged. But an "Enlarged heart" (cardiomegaly) can be several different things that cause you heart to get bigger than Normal, anything from high blood pressure to thyroid problems, valve problems, Arrhymnia too much iron in your blood..... So pretty much IF you have cardiomyopathy you have an enlarged heart, BUt if you have an enlarged heart, you don't always have cardiomopathy.

Also depending how big your heart is can play alot into if you need some kind of treatment or not, FWIW Justin has had a really BIG heart forever, but he doesn't have cardiomyopathy and doesn't take any meds etc , we Just know it's enlarged so tell people when he has a XRay for some reason.

What kind of treatment you need, (If you need treatment or is it just something to keep an eye on) for an enlarged heart or cardiomopathy depends on what the cause is and how severe it is. Usually for an enlarged heart once they figure out the cause, they treat that and often your heart can get back to or close to your normal size. IF it has been getting worse for a long time, it might not get completely better, but since you probably get yearly or so check ups, it probably was caught early.

Even with cardiomyopathy, there are 3 (or 4) different kinds and depending which kind, dilated (walls getter thinner and enlarge), hypertrophic (walls get thicker and enlarge) and restrictive (muscle can't expand as well to fill up) determines the what kind of treatments.

Here are links to both Enlarged heart http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/enlarged-heart/DS01129 and Cardiomyopathy http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cardiomyopathy/DS00519 that have good descritions of they different types, causes treatment etc

Thanks, Everybody. Your replies mean a whole lot to me. I am not too worried and will accept whatever the cardio finds. I am really old and have expected a bump in the road at some time. Kinda like God telling me 'hey, go see about it'. So I will and will tell y'all all about it. Blessins.........

Hello, Ann!!

So lovely to see you! Glad you are looking into this enlarged heart thing, but of course we all know it's large because your heart is so full of love and warmth and caring and sensible-ness!!! More than most people's!!!

Good luck and please do keep us posted. You're back and now you are "on our radar screen"!

Best wishes.

Marguerite

that is so interesting and I had no idea of other things it could be. I am trying to get an appt w/a local cardio in the new area where I live. I have not been to a cardio for a couple years and knew a visit is long overdue. I was only told 'enlarged heart' that showed up on the x-ray for pneumonia. thanks for this information. it's like starting over after 11 yrs! One (as old as me) forgets stuff.

Please give my hello to Justin.

I'm glad to hear they said it was an "enlarged heart" and not Cardiomyopathy, hopefully it is something simple just tweak or start a med, (IF they have to do anything) Maybe even it is the "Normal" size for you, once you go to the cardiologist and they are able to see your older records. I hope it helps you to not worry quite as much while you wait for your appt.

ps I like Margurites reason for your heart enlargement and have to agree with her.
I'll tell Justin hello, this might shock you (I still can't believe it) but My "baby" will be 23 next month.

Yep, I'm in agreement with the others. Your heart is so full of love for mankind in general, that it had to put a little extra girth on just to fit all the loving thoughts in. :smile2:

Let us know what the cardiologist thinks. I bet he agrees with us!:smile2:

Hi Ann,

Wish you well and I hope all will be OK.

As far as I can go back in my memory while growing up, I kept hearing that my mother had an enlarged heart!! It was enlarged due to her big love...like yours :smile2:

The good news is that Mom managed to live well and keep her heart from deteriorating for many long years only with the help of a small dose of digoxin.

Hoping your treatment will be as simple, I send to you my prayers and positive vibes.

I look forward to hearing from you.

((Hugs))

cardio appt is Friday the 18th. Thanks for all of your kind responses. What else could one have from VR members. Y'all are all special people. blessins............

Hi Ann,

Good to see you. Hope you are feeling well otherwise.
I have recently come off hiatus to keep an eye on a few good friends. Will add you to my prayer list!

My echo showed ventricle enlargement. See the card tomorrow. Valve looks good. They said something about finding an underlining cause. Been sitting on this news since the end of Jan. I suspect if it was very serious... they would have found me an earlier appointment. Feeling fine, no swelling, or SOB, etc.

Prayers. Keep us posted.

Hi Ann,

I hope a little of the Luck of the Irish comes your way, and makes your report from the doctors a good one!
Hang in there, and I know you will!

Rob

Latest posts

Back