enlarged heart/cardiomyapathy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the echo was a piece of cake. I watched it on her monitor - every now and then she would measure. The heart showed a hole opening and sort of closing (looked like). The gel was not warmed! It was cold and really messy. Why do they make us wipe it off when we can't see where they put it, but they can see it and would have it off in a sec. they just give you a couple bath cloths (dry) and say 'have at it'. That's what I meant about it being 'mechanical' - not a personal experience, one to one. But all the tests were really easy and I was not tired when all was said and done. Daughter and I went to lunch and than shopped a little bit. Fun experience.

the echo was a piece of cake. I watched it on her monitor - every now and then she would measure. The heart showed a hole opening and sort of closing (looked like). The gel was not warmed! It was cold and really messy. Why do they make us wipe it off when we can't see where they put it, but they can see it and would have it off in a sec. they just give you a couple bath cloths (dry) and say 'have at it'. That's what I meant about it being 'mechanical' - not a personal experience, one to one. But all the tests were really easy and I was not tired when all was said and done. Daughter and I went to lunch and than shopped a little bit. Fun experience.

I'm glad you were able to make a fun day out of it? Did you ask why they were too cheap to have the gel warmers? :) I asked hoping you had that good experience so hopefully other people who are worried about having an echo will see another person who said it was a piece of cake.

Hi Ann, I'm new, been watching your post. Today is the 6th, you will have had your echo test now....see? It was easy, just like everyone said. My prayers go out to you that whatever they say after these tests, that you'll still have His peace ... Along with all the other stuff. Will be praying for you tonight, age is a number and Speedbumps are there, I think, to slow us down for the good stuff. Remind me of that after MY AVR on April 19th!!!!!

well, gee. no information yet. they told me the dr would be in touch in 2 or 3 days. yesterday was the 3rd business day! So today, I guess I will call. Everything must be alright, o/w he'd have called by now. You will know when I know. thanks for your caring concern. Blessins...........

well, gee. no information yet. they told me the dr would be in touch in 2 or 3 days. yesterday was the 3rd business day! So today, I guess I will call. Everything must be alright, o/w he'd have called by now. You will know when I know. thanks for your caring concern. Blessins...........

I hate it when they say they'll call and then get sidetracked.:thumbd:

hi ann,
sorry i am just reading this; i haven't been around much. i'm so sorry you are going through all of this. i hope the doc calls soon and the news is positive.
in the meantime, i'll be thinking of you and praying.
stay well,
sylvia

I heard from the doctor's office yesterday - not the dr, tho. She said all looks good and I asked some questions that she wasn't sure about, but no leakage, apparently. I have been told for years that there is a murmur and that must be what he was suspicious of. I am not sure even what a murmur is - because we have had members who had murmurs that turned into an eventual valve replacement. I asked for copies of the tests and if there is anything to be asked, you can bet I will ask y'all and you will make it plain, I know. We all know the experts are right here - or close, anyhow. I want to thank you for all your responses. I'll be back.

I heard from the doctor's office yesterday - not the dr, tho. She said all looks good and I asked some questions that she wasn't sure about, but no leakage, apparently. I have been told for years that there is a murmur and that must be what he was suspicious of. I am not sure even what a murmur is - because we have had members who had murmurs that turned into an eventual valve replacement. I asked for copies of the tests and if there is anything to be asked, you can bet I will ask y'all and you will make it plain, I know. We all know the experts are right here - or close, anyhow. I want to thank you for all your responses. I'll be back.

Ann, for the most part a murmur is just sound that isn't normal and is a sympton of something and not the problem itself. Different problems and different valves make different "murmurs" but many people have 'innocent' murmurs that never need any interventions. For people that have a murmur because their valve is getting blocked the valve is why they need surgery and not the murmur that is just one of the symptons, so when they valve is replaced or repaired often the murmur goes completely away. other people still have murmurs after surgery.
.I hope this isn't coming out more confusing.

Hi Ann,

I know people whose heart murmurs and did not require any treatment.

Here are some section from Mayo clinic : http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-murmurs/DS00727/DSECTION=symptoms

"Most heart murmurs are harmless (innocent) and don't need treatment
Some heart murmurs may require follow-up tests............ Treatment, if needed, is directed at the cause of your heart murmurs..............................
........An innocent murmur can occur when blood flows more rapidly through the heart. Conditions that may cause rapid blood flow through your heart, resulting in an innocent heart murmur, are:

Physical activity or exercise
Fever
Changes in your heart's structure, such as changes from heart surgery
Not having enough healthy red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen to your body tissues (anemia)
An excessive amount of thyroid hormone in your body (hyperthyroidism)
Changes to the heart due to aging or heart surgery also may cause an innocent heart murmur.

Innocent heart murmurs may disappear over time, or they may last your entire life without ever causing further health problems
"

Best of wishes :smile2:

Last edited:
hi ann,
thinking of you and hoping the murmur is something that may have been there all this time?
everyone here has pretty much summed it up. murmurs can be symptoms of something benign or more serious.
i have a murmur, my siblings have murmurs (benign) and we are all watched closely but that is enough for now.
on the other hand, i'm sure once you let us members peek into your results, someone is bound to help more in analyzing them.
hope it's nothing to worry about.
be well,
sylvia

Hi Ann - I should probably read all of the other posts before I post this but I'm in a hurry so instead I'll just tell you all that I THINK I know about hypertrophic cardiomyopathy :wink2:

----------------------------------

Edited to add: I just had a chance to read the entire thread and removed the rest of what I wrote as it had no bearing.

I'll just add my best wishes to you Ann :)

Last edited:
Ann, I have neglected this place lately, and am late to this thread. I have no knowledge to impart, but send you my love. Your valve brother, Brian

tks, Brian.

here's what I received from dr's office. any comments? thank you so much. I appreciate you.

Left ventricle: size, thickness, function normal. left ventribular ejection fraction is 55-60%. wall motion is normal

left atrium/atrial septum: severely dilated. (what does this mean???)

mitral valve - trace mitral regurg.

tricuspid; normal in structure & function. mild mitral regurg. rt ventricular systolic pressure is 26 mmHg.

pulmonic valve - normal

venous - normal in size, collapses normally with respiration

pericardium/pleura - no effusion.

PERFUSION (PERFORMED ON SPECT CAMERA) There is a small, moderate fixed defect visualized in the latera; wa;;/

CONCLUSIONS: Stress ECG is nondiagnostic for ischemia due to baseline ECG.

Abnormal rest/stress myocardial perfusion images are consistent with a medium scar in the distribution of the left circumflex artery. Pt notified (no, I don't I was notified but this must be from heart attack in late 1999)

Ann,
I don't know why your left atrium has become "severely dilated," but I would want to know the cause. However, as someone (me) who has a "markedly dilated vena cavae" and who has tried to get a straight answer from my own cardiologist as to its cause, I realize that getting answers isn't always as easy as one would expect. Can you call the cardio and ask for an explanation?

Ann,

Thoughts/prayers continuing, darlin'.....

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * CruiseNites_2011_Chi.IL *
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Waiting to be mended like a potter would mend a broken vase" __ Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers __ 'Broken Lady'

Back