endoscopy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brindle1

Hello everyone. I have been advised by a GI Dr. to have a endoscopy. I have a mechanical mitral valve and a Tricuspid repair. I also have afib. I am over 6yrs post op. My questions about the
endoscopy is about having and antibiotic in me for the procedure. I have to fast so taking them orally won't work. I would be sick within ten minutes. Does anyone know if they can do it thru
an iv. I don't know if is even required anymore to have antibiotics before a endoscopy. I emailed my cardiologist in Boston and he gave me a answer "we do not absolutely need antibiotics
but we would want to be safe" I am concerned about infection but I need to find out whats going on with my stomach. I hate to cancel the appointment.
Also where did you have your endoscopy???? In a hospital? Mine would be done at a Ambulatory Endoscopy Center.

Thanks for any info you can give me on this.

Hi

"we do not absolutely need antibiotics but we would want to be safe"

so that seems clear to me " we don't need them, there is no reason for it, but if you need to be comfortable then take them"

I don't understand this:
I have to fast so taking them orally won't work.

why will fasting effect this (taking a powder of antibiotics)?

In my experience my focus was more on management of my INR and AC Therapy
http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2017/12/perioperative-management-of-inr.html
note this is an endoscope where things are much dirtier. However (assuming you're meaning infection of the valve) I don't see much cause of concern about infection as the blood must pass a LONG way through many small blood vessels before making its way to the heart. This is quite unlike the dental procedures such as "scale and clean" where you mouth is pretty close to major blood vessels and is highly irritated by the process.

best wishes

Hello everyone. I have been advised by a GI Dr. to have a endoscopy. I have a mechanical mitral valve and a Tricuspid repair. I also have afib. I am over 6yrs post op. My questions about the
endoscopy is about having and antibiotic in me for the procedure. I have to fast so taking them orally won't work. I would be sick within ten minutes. Does anyone know if they can do it thru
an iv. I don't know if is even required anymore to have antibiotics before a endoscopy. I emailed my cardiologist in Boston and he gave me a answer "we do not absolutely need antibiotics
but we would want to be safe" I am concerned about infection but I need to find out whats going on with my stomach. I hate to cancel the appointment.
Also where did you have your endoscopy???? In a hospital? Mine would be done at a Ambulatory Endoscopy Center.

A long time ago they would give me antibiotics on an IV. Now I have had colonoscopies and couple endoscopies recently without antibiotics anymore. Doctor said we no longer need them . I also have mechanical heart valve and pacemaker. Good luck.

I am a little disappointed with getting constant proactive antibiotics in a world of increasing antibiotic resistance. I am given it in the IV for my Colonoscopy before they start even if they don't remove anything, every dental visit as well. I get being safe, but I wonder if this is at the expense of future need not working when I really need it.

I don’t think there have been definitive studies on the role of prophylactic antibiotics for various procedures in patients with prosthetic valves.
It used to be thought it should be mandatory then some studies suggested not so. But the studies I saw were so so. Still for certain patients antibiotics may make sense.
https://www.aae.org/specialty/wp-co.../06/aae_antibiotic-prophylaxis-2017update.pdfThe concern about the overuse of antibiotics is more about the massive amounts used in agriculture or the large number of people with viral infections given antibiotics.
So a very short course of antibiotics before a procedure is probably not a big issue when it comes to altering antibiotic resistance.

As far as dental vs. colon again I don’t think there is definitive evidence which is worse. More dental procedures are done then colonoscopies but bacteria can get into the blood stream from either. So probably the risk is low without treatment for either but the question is how much lower with antibiotic prophylaxis.

Personally I don’t mind having IV antibiotics placed when I have a colonoscopy.

Latest posts

Back