Elevated Liver enzymes post op

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

pekster11

I had a liver function test today 2 weeks post op, and my ALT results are still elevated (not massively so)
I have to go back in 2 weeks for another test to see if they're still high. If they are, apparently I'll have to go for an ultrasound scan on the liver

I wonder if taking paracetamol everyday for nearly 2 weeks could be the culprit ?

pekster11

Interesting....I have also had abnormal liver results. Was sent for a second scan last week, but don't get any results until later this week.
yeah, i'm not so worried, as i know the liver given time can almost completely regenerate itself
unless you're an alcoholic your liver will be alright

charlottekaye

Tylenol/acetominophine causes liver enzyme elevation. The drug companies routinely give it for pain either alone or mixed with a narcotic. It is my experience that 1) tylenol is worthless for pain and 2) the indiscriminate use of it can cause liver enzyme elevation, even in small doses.

Justmadi

Statins can cause elevated liver numbers. I had to cut my Atorvastatin dosage in half. I was , also, taking Tumeric with Cucumin(sp) that I had to stop.

Critter

The most common reason for elevation of liver enzymes is a condition called NASH or NAFLD. Non alcoholic fatty liver disease. Other reasons for elevation:
Alcoholic liver disease

●Hepatitis C (particularly genotype 3)

●Wilson disease

●Lipodystrophy

●Starvation

●Parenteral nutrition

●Abetalipoproteinemia

●Medications (amiodarone, methotrexate, tamoxifen, glucocorticoids, valproate, anti-retroviral agents for HIV)

●Reye syndrome

●Acute fatty liver of pregnancy

●HELLP (hemolytic anemia, elevated liver enzymes, low platelet count) syndrome

●Inborn errors of metabolism (LCAT deficiency, cholesterol ester storage disease, Wolman disease)

●Drug-induced liver disease