Electrolysis

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkm7

Is Electrolysis, permanent hair removal, safe for a tissue valver?
Is there any worry re: endocarditis /infection?
Thanks anyone who can help.

Is Electrolysis, permanent hair removal, safe for a tissue valver?
Is there any worry re: endocarditis /infection?
Thanks anyone who can help.

Hi Jkm7,
I did a quick google search and came across a link on electrolysis contraindications from an electrolysis manufacturer. I didn't see a specific mention of bioprosthetic cardiac valves, only pacemakers (along with other conditions). However, I don't know if this is an exhaustive list. This might be a question for the cardiologist.
One obvious concern for me would be to ensure the practitioner is using universal precautions and disposable needles. Hope this helps!

http://www.sterex.com/Professionals...estionID=7561b76e-d379-452b-b0b8-051f8ff66166

Thank you, Roberta.
I planned to ask my cardiologist but my appointment is not for a while.
It's subject I don't recall ever seeing raised here before.
My inclination is to think 'why take the risk' but I'm curious my cardio's opinion.

Jkm7,

I don’t know anything about Electrolysis hair removal. But I think that’s a good heart valve safeguard question regarding possible infection. I do seem to remember someone posting about how he always took antibiotic prophylaxis before any of his dermatology procedures. Not sure if this is recommended by the American Heart Association or Dermatologists, and we all know that a person shouldn’t overuse antibiotics, however maybe his cardiologist told him to do so. But I can see his reasoning. Staph can live on the skin, although it might not be in the top causes of endocarditis, I believe it’s at least possible that a skin infection involving staph that is not dealt with could go systemic and reach the heart. Like the above post mentioned, this could be a topic for your cardiologist to answer, and if Electrolysis requires any cleaning of the area with an antiseptic I hope the person knows to do that. By the way, I’m not totally sure, but I don’t think it matters if you have a tissue valve or mechanical valve, certain endocarditis causing bacterial infections that spread through the blood can just as equally lead to endocarditis in both valve types.

PS: Here’s my disqualifier, I’m not an expert on infections or endocarditis :). Hope your cardiologist can clarify.

Hi Forrest,

I did think about pre-medicating in the way I do for dental appointments but that is not practical. Usually that form of permanent hair removal requires a series of treatments. It would be way too much use of antbiotic for a voluntary and avoidable use. Never a good thing given the overuse of such meds.

Thank you for directing my thoughts to the practical and the realization it's probably a bad idea for a valver.... something similar to tattoo for a person on anti-coagulation therapy. There are some of these unnecessary, voluntary things we should just avoid.

Thank you for the help but out of curiousity, I will still speak about it with my cardiologist.

Back