EKG Readings, are yours normal after surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

savysmommy

So, I have moved up my cardio apt, but decided to go to the regular doc today because I have felt the same weak, lathargic, dizzy, faint like all week. I figured I should rule out the flu or virus before going into a complete panic.

My doc listened to my heart, a lot, told him how I was feeling, and what happened last week, and he did an EKG. He told me that it would likely be skewed because of my surgery. When he got the EKG back, it had several items that came up, that he blurbed off quickly. As I remember, he said Right bundle branch block.. or axis..?? He said Right hypertrophic something.. and maybe even left side. Again, he blurbed these off, and followed it with "I expected it to say something because of the surgery".

My question is do any of you know what your eKg readings are? Have you heard of them being off because of your surgery? My understanding of aortic valve replacement, was that they went through the aorta and didnt really do anything to the heart.

I have another question too.. Do you have a murmur after valve replacement? He said I have an S3 or S4... Is that normal AFTER valve replacement?

Thank you all for your suggestions/feedback :confused:

correction: I believe it said ventricular hypertrophy. Dont know if it was right or left.

My cardiologist gave me a laminated copy of my post-AVR EKG, that has his hand-written comments o it explaining that it is my "normal" EKG. He suggested that I keep it with me, just in case someone (EMT, ER doc, etc.) might question my "abnormal" EKG pattern. My EKG nows has an inverted T wave which is indicative of having a mech aortic valve, or more correctly a missing original valve.

Mark

savysmommy said:
So, I have moved up my cardio apt, but decided to go to the regular doc today because I have felt the same weak, lathargic, dizzy, faint like all week. I figured I should rule out the flu or virus before going into a complete panic.

My doc listened to my heart, a lot, told him how I was feeling, and what happened last week, and he did an EKG. He told me that it would likely be skewed because of my surgery. When he got the EKG back, it had several items that came up, that he blurbed off quickly. As I remember, he said Right bundle branch block.. or axis..?? He said Right hypertrophic something.. and maybe even left side. Again, he blurbed these off, and followed it with "I expected it to say something because of the surgery".

My question is do any of you know what your eKg readings are? Have you heard of them being off because of your surgery? My understanding of aortic valve replacement, was that they went through the aorta and didnt really do anything to the heart.

I have another question too.. Do you have a murmur after valve replacement? He said I have an S3 or S4... Is that normal AFTER valve replacement?

Thank you all for your suggestions/feedback :confused:

I've never had a "normal" EKG since surgery. An S3 or S4 actually refer to extra heart sounds rather than a "murmur". Instead of a LUB DUB it might be more like a LUB DUB da .....or some variation of that.

Hi Mark,

MarkU said:
My EKG nows has an inverted T wave which is indicative of having a mech aortic valve, or more correctly a missing original valve.

Mark

This is interesting. I came close to passing out a couple of mornings right before Christmas. Doctor thought it was vasovagal syncope but after an abnormal EKG I ended up having a stress echo last week. The only abnormal findings on the stress test were the following: "Patient reached adequate heart rate. She developed 0.5mm horizontal ST depression and T-wave inversion in leads II,III,aVF and V4,5,6. In these leads there is baseline ST/T abnormality."

I can't get an appointment with the cardio until late next month so I'm trying to figure out what all that means! Do mechanical valves then always cause an EKG to show inverted T-waves? Do you remember if yours were on more than one lead?

From what I've been able to google these results could signify myocardial ischemia, which might just explain the bad fatigue I've been experiencing for the past year or so.

If you have any extra info I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
Michelle

The valve may leak a little bit, which could cause a murmur.

My post-op EKG shows some signs of a possible heart attack (I can't remember what the cardio said) that weren't there pre-op and I haven't had an attack ever, so it seems the post-op EKG can be affected by the operation.

Hi,

Sir Reel said:
The valve may leak a little bit, which could cause a murmur.

My post-op EKG shows some signs of a possible heart attack (I can't remember what the cardio said) that weren't there pre-op and I haven't had an attack ever, so it seems the post-op EKG can be affected by the operation.

Same thing here. My EKG showed that I'd had a heart attack at an undetermined age, which scared me to death. However, the stress echo I had proved it was a false positive. Next time I'll know better. : )

Cheers,
Michelle

MarkU - Interesting how the inverted T wave, sometimes called a Juvenile T wave, worked in your case vs. mine. I had one before my AVR, which persisted for a few months after my AVR. Since it continued after the OHS, my cardiologist felt it was a sign of my heart still being under duress, and he was trying to talk me into a stress test. I said I wasn't interested. He said, "Well, will you agree to it, if you still have that inverted T wave?" Reluctantly, I said I would. He relaxed, knowing it would still be there. It wasn't. Hah!

Savysmommy - If you don't have other heart issues, you will generally lose the left ventricular hypertrophy within a year's span of your surgery. It sounds like there are still things brewing there. If you've got right ventricular hypertrophy, that would not usually have been a part of an aortic valve problem.

Right Bundle Branch Block can be a problem. The bundle branches are large nerves that carry signals to different parts of the heart. The RBB goes to the right ventricle. RBBB means that the signal that usually depolarizes the right ventricle isn't being carried all the way by the nerve bundle. The result is that the right ventricle depolarizes slowly, with the impulse being transmitted cell-to-cell, rather than being triggered simultaneously along the length of the bundle branch. RBBB can be caused by some heart surgeries, or you may have been born with it.

Consider it like a design of standing dominoes on a card table, ready to be tipped over. The cell-to-cell transfer is like watching the row of dominoes knocking each other over one by one. It goes pretty quickly, and usually gets the job done. But the bundle branch approach is more like shaking the card table: they all fall, and they do it instantly.

That delay in repolarization has a specific signature on the EKG. It doesn't always cause a problem, but it can cause slower refilling of the ventricle, meaning maybe not as much gets pumped out. The other problem it can stimulate is ventricular arrhythmias, some of which can be nasty. Any arrhythmias of that type are usually only associated with an extended (over .18 seconds) QRS duration. The QRS duration is an EKG measurement of the time it takes the ventricle to repolarize between the electrical jolts that cause it to contract (beat), and normally finishes in between .06 and .1 seconds.

Best wishes,

I've never had a "normal" EKG. I've had arrythmia for years, and recently changed beta blockers from atenolol to sotalol because the former just wasn't controlling the PVCs as well anymore. All my EKGs have said I'd had a heart attack (not exactly printed that way) at "age undetermined." In my case, I did have one at birth, so all my EKGs say that. Sometimes, though, there are "false positives."

Concerning the murmur...I've recently developed one myself. For several months after surgery, I had no murmur at all. I have trace regurgitation, and according to my doctor, that is normal to have such a teensy leak after valve surgery. Consequently, I have a murmur to match. Nothing, my doctor has assured me, to worry about.

Debi

Hi
Thank you all for your wonderful feedback. It is so helpful!:) Its so wonderful knowing that anytime I have an issue or concern with my heart/valve I get a lot of great feedback.

From what I knew about the left side hypertrophy was that it was gone within several months of my surgery. One of my first Post-op echo's, my cardio gave me the numbers, and said that my heart had gone down to a normal size very quick. I thought that the ekg I saw Friday at my PCP office said RIGHT side.. which is more alarming, since I haven't had any right side issues before. I am going to actually get a copy of it tomorrow though, so I know exactly what it said.

Thats scary that an EKG could say you had a heart attack, even though you didn't. I guess if my cardio explained to me what a normal EKG would look like and it included heart attack, I wouldn't worry.

Thanks again for all your help! I will let you know if i am able to get the actual copy tomorrow what it actually says. Plus, I plan to fax it to my cardios office too.

T-waves and BBB (Bundle Branch Block)

T-waves and BBB (Bundle Branch Block)

What have T-waves and Bundle Branch Block got to do with each other?

Muscle tissue in the heart's chambers works like other muscle tissue in your body. It contracts when an electrical surge is sent through it. These electrically-caused contractions are the beating of the heart, as the contractions squeeze the blood-filled heart chambers and push the blood out and through the body. The valves in the heart are one-way valves at the outlet of each chamber that ensure that the blood can only move forward during the contractions.

Valve problems are generally one or both of the following: Stenosis, when the opening of the valve is blocked or restricted, making it hard for the blood to be pushed through it; and regurgitation (insufficiency), when the valve leaks, and some of the blood leaks backwards through the valve during the contraction, instead of all flowing forward.

The heart is a two-stage pump. The atria, which act as reservoirs to collect the blood for pumping, contract first, to fill the ventricles. The ventricles are the powerhouses. When filled from the atria, they then contract and push the blood out to and through the rest of the body. Setting these contractions off with the correct order and timing is a complex electrical ballet, which is why an EKG (ECG), which measures electrical changes in the heart, can tell so much about the heart's operating condition.

In this instance, we're dealing with the ventricles. It doesn't matter which ventricle, right or left. Although they push blood out to different places (right to lungs, left to head-heart-body), they both work the same way.

Okay, so the ventricles contract when they are depolarized. But in between beats, the ventricular chambers need to relax again, so they can be filled up by the next atrial squeeze. So, the cells "de-electrify" (repolarize) between beats. This lets them stop contracting, allowing the chambers to relax, and leaves the muscle cells receptive to the next electrical charge that will cause them to contract.

Normally, this depolarization-repolarization cycle is orchestrated by the Bundle Branch, which is a nerve bundle that extends over the ventricle and can electrically cause the ventricle’s myocardial (muscle) cells to be depolarized or repolarized nearly all at once. In Bundle Branch Block, the conductivity of the nerve bundle is compromised at some level, and the speed of the depolarization and repolarization is affected by it. The severity of the block is usually defined in three levels, the lowest of which is usually not very concerning.

Fortunately, one difference between heart muscle cells and other muscle cells is that myocardial cells can conduct electricity. The signal that is blocked in the bundle branch continues forward, although more slowly, cell by cell.

BBB (more specifically RBBB or LBBB) can be present from birth. It can also be caused by tissue damage from an MI (myocardial infarction, a.k.a. heart attack) or a lesser ischemic attack. Or it can occur as a result of some types of heart surgery. Notably, neither valve replacement surgery nor MAZE procedures are specifically mentioned as surgical causes, but that doesn’t rule them out. ToF (Tetrology of Fallot) surgeries are definitely causal to BBB.

So, where does the Inverted T-Wave tie in to this? Well, a T-wave is the electrical pulse that repolarizes the ventricle’s myocardium, relaxing it and resetting the ventricle for its next contraction (depolarization). The repolarizing current normally passes from the apex (top) of the heart downward. When it flows in the opposite direction, it may be called an Inverted, Juvenile, or Negative T-wave. An Inverted T-wave is generally a sign of a ventricular problem in an adult. An exception is that it can be normal in some American or Caribbean patients of African descent.

The main causes for an inverted T-wave are an MI or lesser ischemic attack, ventricular hypertrophy (reverts over time after surgical correction [such as valve replacement]), physical injury, mild post-AVR stenosis (usually reverts over time), disease (such as 3rd- and 4th-stage pericarditis), electrolyte imbalances, some drugs (such as Digoxin) …and… *drumroll* …BBB.

So how is it that they can become important together? BBB causes the QRS complex to take longer, because of the cell-by-cell transmission of the electrical signals. A normal QRS complex (a combination of depolarization of the ventricles and repolarization of the atria) requires between .06 and .12 seconds. With Bundle Branch Block, it takes longer. In mild BBB (particularly RBBB), there is generally a wait and watch diagnosis. With inverted T-wave, if no causation is found, there is generally a wait and watch diagnosis. However, if BBB is causing a QRS complex time of greater than .18 seconds (180 milliseconds), and there is an inverted T-wave, there is a high risk of dangerous ventricular arrhythmias. In those cases, an implanted pacing device may be in order.

By the way, studies show only a minimal risk of future problems with a Right Bundle Branch Block.

Yes, I know. A long run around the bush for a simple statement. But it also yielded an answer about the Inverted T-wave and mechanical valves. Valve replacement, mechanical or otherwise, doesn’t appear to cause inverted T-waves (I was curious). There’s no literature for it. The most likely associations the two have after surgery are lingering ventricular hypertrophy and mild, post-AVR valve-related stenosis, either of which should revert to a normal T-wave over time.

Assuming there is no underlying ischemic or other issue as noted above, another possible cause for an Inverted T-wave's continuance post-surgery is a heavy exercise load, which could keep the left ventricle somewhat enlarged. To be fair, perhaps the very minimal stenosis created by a replacement valve may also have some small bearing on it in a heavy exercise scenario. Fortunately, in the absence of other aggravators, an inverted T-wave is basically benign.

Hey, if I have to look up this stuff on a weekend, I figure you have to sit through it too...

Best wishes,

As always, I am in awe of tobagotwo's knowledge and capacity to comprehend, assimilate and repeat what he has researched!!

Wow! Great information!

Thank you! I will let you all know when I find out..

From the Journal of Cardio Thoracic Surgery :

"Abnormal interventricular septal motion after cardiopulmonary bypass is a widely known occurrence. The cause and exact timing of this phenomenon remain unclear. "

According to my cardio very common after OHS and CABG. Usually disappears after a few months, sometimes longer and sometimes stays. No risk - just anomolous movement of the septum (the "wall" dividing left side and right side of the heart")

This is just one type of change that can affect your EKG after heart surgery. I found out about this one cause I have it. Some people do some people don't.... Go figure. And they don't know why....

I saw my EKG today, and it said I had "frequent multiform ectopic ventricular beats" It said I have right bundle branch block and axis. Whats axis? It said consider Right side hypertrophy, congenital heart disease and pulmanary disease. I also sent a copy to my cardios office and they confirmed that this is something that was NOT on my last post op EKG spring of last year.

So... I will know more after my apt. :confused:

Latest posts

Back