Effect of a missed Warfarin (Coumadin) dose

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LondonAndy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
In case useful for those who don't have the option to self-test their INR when they want (and also because I wanted to know!) I thought I would share my experience today after forgetting to take my Warfarin dose for 13 hours. I a not quite sure how I managed to miss it - this is the first time in three years - as I use a pill box to prepare each day's meds in advance, but I think stress at work meaning that I am working into the evenings has been a factor.

I normally alternate daily between 8mg and 9mg of Warfarin at 6pm, which keeps me stable at around 3.0 according to my CoaguChek XS, and indeed that was the reading on Wednesday morning. However, as I prepared today's tablets (it's Friday), I discovered that I hadn't taken Thursday night's dose. So I have tested my INR this morning and found it was 2.8, which much to my relief is less of a drop than I had been expecting, and still comfortably within my therapeutic range of 2.5 to 3.5.

So I have taken the missed dose this morning, and will take tonight's dose at the usual time, ie about 11 hours after this dose . I expect this to lead to a slight over-shoot of the 3.0 result I had on Wednesday, but to be still within range. I think also it is time for me to resume having an alarm on my phone at 6pm each day for a while to prompt me to take the dose, at least until this work project finishes next week!

If my INR had been higher on Wednesday, say 3.3 or more, I think I would still take the whole missed dose immediately but then take a slightly reduced dose at tonight's time slot, in order to try and not overshoot the upper limit.

Back