Edwards Resilia Inspiris Aortic Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that the company has reported reduced sales due to covid. Never thought of that. As someone who gratefully received one of these valves, mid-Pandemic, last August, I consider this welcome news. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting that the company has reported reduced sales due to covid. Never thought of that. As someone who gratefully received one of these valves, mid-Pandemic, last August, I consider this welcome news. Thanks for sharing.
I will be getting a replacement for my 1st valve in about a month, I have gotten my 1st covid vaccination a week ago, I'm a little leery of going in before my 2nd. I'm having it done at the Cleveland Clinic. Was there any discussion regarding covid before yours?

I will be getting a replacement for my 1st valve in about a month, I have gotten my 1st covid vaccination a week ago, I'm a little leery of going in before my 2nd. I'm having it done at the Cleveland Clinic. Was there any discussion regarding covid before yours?
Hi. If you had your first vaccine a week ago, it sounds like you probably should get your second jab before your procedure. But, if you don't I wanted to share my experience with you regarding my upcoming surgery- my clinic, UCLA, is being very Covid safe and I expect Cleveland Clinic has the same level of precautions.
My surgery is in 8 days and the hoops I need to jump through this week for Covid testing are a pain, but I am glad that they are being so careful.
I will be arriving a day early near the hospital to get tested for Covid the day before at their facility. The test needs to be 24-48 hours before surgery. They want at least 24 hours so there is time to get results and beyond 48 hours they consider too far out, in case you picked it up since then.
Additionally, I go in Friday to get my coronary cath- three days before my aortic valve surgery. I will also need to do the same 24 hr-48 covid testing window.
They plan to do a CT scan on Monday, Tues or Weds, which has not been locked in yet. I will need the same covid testing clearance for this. I was tested yesterday, so that I am cleared for Covid in case they schedule my CT on Monday. Negative BTW. By Tuesday, that test will be considered too old, so I will probably schedule a test for Monday, which should clear me for a CT either Tuesday or Wednesday.

In other words, they are being very cautious that patients coming in don't have Covid. By now, all the hospital staff should have had the opportunity to get vaccinated and so that should be another layer of safety. They also have strict limitations on visitors- I am only allowed one visitor per day in recovery.

In addition, new Covid cases have been dropping like a rock in Ohio, as well as the rest of the country:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/ohio/
Personally, I feel that I am at very low risk of picking up Covid while in the hospital- probably less risk than a trip to the grocery store.

Hi. If you had your first vaccine a week ago, it sounds like you probably should get your second jab before your procedure. But, if you don't I wanted to share my experience with you regarding my upcoming surgery- my clinic, UCLA, is being very Covid safe and I expect Cleveland Clinic has the same level of precautions.
My surgery is in 8 days and the hoops I need to jump through this week for Covid testing are a pain, but I am glad that they are being so careful.
I will be arriving a day early near the hospital to get tested for Covid the day before at their facility. The test needs to be 24-48 hours before surgery. They want at least 24 hours so there is time to get results and beyond 48 hours they consider too far out, in case you picked it up since then.
Additionally, I go in Friday to get my coronary cath- three days before my aortic valve surgery. I will also need to do the same 24 hr-48 covid testing window.
They plan to do a CT scan on Monday, Tues or Weds, which has not been locked in yet. I will need the same covid testing clearance for this. I was tested yesterday, so that I am cleared for Covid in case they schedule my CT on Monday. Negative BTW. By Tuesday, that test will be considered too old, so I will probably schedule a test for Monday, which should clear me for a CT either Tuesday or Wednesday.

In other words, they are being very cautious that patients coming in don't have Covid. By now, all the hospital staff should have had the opportunity to get vaccinated and so that should be another layer of safety. They also have strict limitations on visitors- I am only allowed one visitor per day in recovery.

In addition, new Covid cases have been dropping like a rock in Ohio, as well as the rest of the country:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/ohio/
Personally, I feel that I am at very low risk of picking up Covid while in the hospital- probably less risk than a trip to the grocery store.
I'm more concerned about the recovery from the AVR . I don't see myself getting out much for a while after, but gosh darn it wouldn't be a good thing.

I'm more concerned about the recovery from the AVR . I don't see myself getting out much for a while after, but gosh darn it wouldn't be a good thing.
esvaja- my AVR is scheduled at Cleveland Clinic 4-13. I have not been vaccinated. They told me that if you have had the first injection, they will only procede with the surgery provided you have had the second round, but being vacinated is not required to do the surgery.

Why yes there was, but probably not in the way you’re thinking. I was scheduled for surgery in July and tested Covid positive the day before the surgery. Thankfully I was asymptomatic but had to test negative twice before they’d reschedule the surgery.

I suspect my surgeon wasn’t quite sure what he’d find once he went in on me, though he never mentioned any concerns. So much about Covid is unknown!

Since then I’ve been fully vaccinated and I feel very fortunate. What is the Cleveland Clinic’s policy on vaccination? Are they ok with you going in mid-vaccine?

esvaja- my AVR is scheduled at Cleveland Clinic 4-13. I have not been vaccinated. They told me that if you have had the first injection, they will only procede with the surgery provided you have had the second round, but being vacinated is not required to do the surgery.
This seems to make sense since the second jab often elicits a bit of a reaction that I would think wouldn’t be great in immediate recovery.

This seems to make sense since the second jab often elicits a bit of a reaction that I would think wouldn’t be great in immediate recovery.
Cleveland Clinic didn't encouraged me to get my covid "jab" before surgery, but I personally am concerned for my post-operative recovery. I wouldn't feel comfortable having the vaccine after. My surgery is 4/20 my 2nd jab is 3/31 so if I do feel any symptoms they should be well over by the 20th

Cleveland Clinic didn't encouraged me to get my covid "jab" before surgery, but I personally am concerned for my post-operative recovery. I wouldn't feel comfortable having the vaccine after. My surgery is 4/20 my 2nd jab is 3/31 so if I do feel any symptoms they should be well over by the 20th
That sounds like excellent timing! Being vaccinated has really given me peace of mind. Best wishes for an uneventful recovery! Keep us posted.

4 Year update/valve anniversary on my Inspiris Resilia valve...

Everything is still looking very good. No issues whatsoever with the valve, no afib, completely silent, energy levels great, no restrictions whatsoever. Annual ultrasound shows no changes from a year ago.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Inspiris Resilia valve so far and I would not hesitate to choose this valve again.

It's been absolutely fantastic not having to be "heart patient" every day and being able to enjoy a life with no restrictions. Thank you to God, my family who supported me through these times and my doctors, surgeons, nurses, etc. for this opportunity.

For those out there reading this and wondering if they can ever get back to "normal" again, it is possible so hang in there and best of luck to you!

For anyone coming here for information to help them choose a valve type, I say please work with your doctors when deciding this. They will have the information about your unique and individual situation and can help you make the best choice possible for you. What is the best for one person is not necessarily best for another and relying on the generalizations you'll see on this forum or experiences of individual poster's (such as myself) on this forum could lead you to make a choice not best suited for you.

Additional Information valve related information:

I suffered and recovered from a concussion in February while working on our cabin with no lasting issues. Emergency Room Doctor commented that I was lucky to have a tissue valve and not be on anticoagulants or it could have been much more serious.

Daniel, glad to hear your positive update on Inspiris Resilia. I received an Inspiris Resilia valve on 2-7-22 and I appreciate the information and updates.

Dano64,

I read your past posts and I'm glad to see you're doing so well. It should get even better with time and soon you'll have many, many days you don't even think about your valve at all. Those are the good days.

So heal up, move on from the surgery and let me know if you have any other questions about my experience with the Inspiris Resilia.

Continued good luck to you.

Everything is still looking very good. No issues whatsoever with the valve, no afib, completely silent, energy levels great, no restrictions whatsoever. Annual ultrasound shows no changes from a year ago.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Inspiris Resilia valve so far and I would not hesitate to choose this valve again.

It's been absolutely fantastic not having to be "heart patient" every day and being able to enjoy a life with no restrictions. Thank you to God, my family who supported me through these times and my doctors, surgeons, nurses, etc. for this opportunity.

For those out there reading this and wondering if they can ever get back to "normal" again, it is possible so hang in there and best of luck to you!

For anyone coming here for information to help them choose a valve type, I say please work with your doctors when deciding this. They will have the information about your unique and individual situation and can help you make the best choice possible for you. What is the best for one person is not necessarily best for another and relying on the generalizations you'll see on this forum or experiences of individual poster's (such as myself) on this forum could lead you to make a choice not best suited for you.

Additional Information valve related information:

I suffered and recovered from a concussion in February while working on our cabin with no lasting issues. Emergency Room Doctor commented that I was lucky to have a tissue valve and not be on anticoagulants or it could have been much more serious.

Newbie here. How old were you when your valve was replaced?

Newbie here. How old were you when your valve was replaced?

Hello Andrew,

I was 54 years old when I received this valve.

At the time, after visiting this forum, I was leaning toward a mechanical valve but after the surgical consult, my surgeon explained to me that with my lifestyle and other medical issues (Barretts Esophagus that sometimes bleeds, other medical history, family history, etc.) this valve was a better choice for me and I believe they were right.

This is why it is important to go ahead and do your research here, etc., but in the end, listen to your doctors, they have more details about you as an individual, and your individual situation and the actual medical expertise that will help you choose the right valve for you.

Good luck and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Daniel,
Thank you for the 4 year update on your Inspiris Resilia valve. You may have been amongst the early adopters of the Edwards Resilia valve type?

Am a week away from my 1 year anniversary of the Inspiris Resilia aortic valve, done April 2021 at age 67 and this was my second OHS.
My 1st replacement aortic valve was a bio St-Jude, done in 2010 at age 56 replacing my native bicuspid. In 2010 my Mitral valve was also repaired with an Edwards Annoplasty ring during the same OHS.
Occasional AFib was detected last year and am now on daily use of recent generation Lixiana/Edoxaban blood thinner, replacing Aspirin 81mg of previous 12 year use.

All is well here, surgeon said I am blessed with fast healing and of the OHS traumas has not been overwhelming for me, a week or so of discomfort and a few months to total recovery. Am very happy for the extra quality time, the prosthesis have bought me.

Knee surgery done in 2012 with 2 months of crutches and almost a year of rehab was a far more disruptive and incapacitating process for me, as was a shoulder separation surgery done in my teens.

When I chose bio valve in 2010, mechanical valve and home testing for INR was not a wide spread practice.

We are so fortunate to be living at a time when there has been so much progress in cardiac intervention and care.

Newbie here.
well, as you're new here (and there is nothing on your bio) I'd raise two points
  1. age is a determining factor, if you're over 60 then the Resilia will be as good as any bioprosthetic
  2. we have very little actual data about how well the Resilia performs in the long run, however everything we know about valves shows that it is unlikely to more than perhaps 20% more durable than previous valves of that generation
It is often said there are no bad choices but you can seek an optimal one. Advanced age is the biggest predictor of extended durability in bioprosthetics for all these reasons:
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/JAHA.120.018506
Best Wishes

Hello Andrew,

I was 54 years old when I received this valve.

At the time, after visiting this forum, I was leaning toward a mechanical valve but after the surgical consult, my surgeon explained to me that with my lifestyle and other medical issues (Barretts Esophagus that sometimes bleeds, other medical history, family history, etc.) this valve was a better choice for me and I believe they were right.

This is why it is important to go ahead and do your research here, etc., but in the end, listen to your doctors, they have more details about you as an individual, and your individual situation and the actual medical expertise that will help you choose the right valve for you.

Good luck and please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for the reply.

Daniel,
Thank you for the 4 year update on your Inspiris Resilia valve. You may have been amongst the early adopters of the Edwards Resilia valve type?

Am a week away from my 1 year anniversary of the Inspiris Resilia aortic valve, done April 2021 at age 67 and this was my second OHS.
My 1st replacement aortic valve was a bio St-Jude, done in 2010 at age 56 replacing my native bicuspid. In 2010 my Mitral valve was also repaired with an Edwards Annoplasty ring during the same OHS.
Occasional AFib was detected last year and am now on daily use of recent generation Lixiana/Edoxaban blood thinner, replacing Aspirin 81mg of previous 12 year use.

All is well here, surgeon said I am blessed with fast healing and of the OHS traumas has not been overwhelming for me, a week or so of discomfort and a few months to total recovery. Am very happy for the extra quality time, the prosthesis have bought me.

Knee surgery done in 2012 with 2 months of crutches and almost a year of rehab was a far more disruptive and incapacitating process for me, as was a shoulder separation surgery done in my teens.

When I chose bio valve in 2010, mechanical valve and home testing for INR was not a wide spread practice.

We are so fortunate to be living at a time when there has been so much progress in cardiac intervention and care.

Hello Luckyguy17,

Very glad to hear you are doing well and I think we are a lot alike. Both fast healers and both thankful for the extra quality time modern medicine as gifted us. No complaints here.

It's kind of crazy but the first moments after I awake each morning, I look around, see the light coming in the windows and the wife snoring away and say to myself, "Well, I guess I'm still here, and since there is no other place in the world I would rather be, this is probably going to be a pretty good day." And it usually ends up that way more often than not too. HAHA

As far as being one of the early adopters in the USA, I do believe I was. I think I was a good candidate because of the factors I noted above and the fact that I really didn't have any calcification issues with my old bicuspid valve or any other heart or vascular calcification/blockage problems.

(The surgeon said that calcification is one of the main factors that leads to structural valve degeneration in tissue valves so this valve, being treated to resist calcification combined with the little natural calcification expected from me, was probably a good bet to last a very long while. We'll see.)

As for the gamble of receiving a new, untested valve...

1. I'm a believer in modern medicine and the people developing the new medical technologies we're seeing come out every day. When I worked in Private Equity/Venture Capital years ago, I met some of the most dedicated people you can imagine with the most brilliant minds on the planet. These people are absolutely the real deal and we should be thankful every day that they are doing what they are doing for the rest of us.

2. I'm a glass is half full until it isn't type of person. And when it isn't, I'll do what I can to get it filled back up and move on.

When the day comes that I can't get it filled back up and I can't move on then I did the best I could for as long as I could and now it's time to see what comes next. It happens to everybody at some point.

Anyway, this is getting long and off topic so hang in there with all of those surgeries you've had, enjoy your extra time and let's hope this Inspiris valve is as good as advertised.

Latest posts

Back