Edwards Resilia Inspiris Aortic Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone in Australia knew of any surgeons or hospitals using this valve. I'm 29 years old and staring down the barrel of my second OHS in less than two years. While I'm aware anticoagulation meds aren't the end of the world my preference is to stay off them. I lead a very active life and I'm just getting started.

Cheers,
Jahn
Very interested in this myself being in Australia.

The good news is I see that this valve was added to the list of products able to be claimed through private health funds just last month so it’s obvioisly been approved for use in Australia:

6B31D668-F167-4F78-883E-3711FF790654.jpeg

https://www.privatehealthcareaustra...019/March 2019 Prostheses List New Items.xlsx
I’ll be getting my annual echo and consult with the aneurysm cardiologist at Prince Charles hospital in Brisbane at the end of May. Prince Charles hospital perform lots of aneurysm surgeries each year. I’ll ask the cardiologist if he’s aware of surgeons using this procedure.

I’m 59 with an aneurysm of the aortic root (4.8 cm) and TAV which appears to be ok but they don’t really know until during surgery. If my valve needs replacing I’m very keen to get the Edward Resillia tissue valve. It’s been used in Europe for a few years now. Then UK followed by the US.

Last edited:
I got some information from my first surgeon (Peter Skillington). They have it sitting on the shelf at Royal Melbourne. Im sure its being used at other hospitals as well.

His breakdown on the hype around the valve was interesting. I'm still far too young for it (29). I'm sure your surgeon will be happy to talk over the pros and cons.

I got some information from my first surgeon (Peter Skillington). They have it sitting on the shelf at Royal Melbourne. Im sure its being used at other hospitals as well.
Thanks for that.

I see my cardiologist at Price Charles Hospital, Brisbane on 10 May so I will ask him about it also.
His breakdown on the hype around the valve was interesting.
Do you mind sharing a bit more detail please?

Good afternoon all,

I was fortunate to have an Edwards Inspiris Resilia 23mm Aoric valve fitted at St Thomas Hospital in London on the 17th May 2017, at the time I was 61 years old and suffering from severe aortic stenosis and a bi-cuspid valve that was extremely blocked. My Consultant surgeon was Mr Michael Sabetai, and a nicer, more caring individual you cannot wish for.

I have only been in hospital twice before in my life, once for a severely infected foot, and once when I was born, but I don't remember too much about that, except what my mother told me. To say I was scared was something of an understatement, but I was put at ease by my Consultant who even took the time to explain everything that was happening to myself and my family, and he gave me the opportunity to choose which valve I would receive after explaining their pros and cons, even telling me that if I changed my mind, up to the point I went into surgery, then all I had to do was tell him and he would grant my request.

I had, as mentioned, my surgery on the 17th May 2017 and was discharged to home on the 21st May, after a few weeks of recovery I returned to work on the 22nd August and have been working full time ever since. The new valve is behaving itself and I have managed to complete a number of self imposed tasks, climbing over the O2 dome with my Consultant and a film crew from Edwards on the 5th December 2017, since then I have walked 17 miles of the Thames Path in London for the British Heart Foundation as well as a number of other events. I have never felt better, though I do get told off on a regular basis for trying to do things others think I can't do, but my Consultant and I both know I can.

In conclusion, my new valve will have its Birthday in a couple of weeks time and we will be celebrating 2 years of "Eddy"and a new me, and my wife now tells her friends that she now has a "Bit of Beefcake" for a husband. I hope that my story is not boring and I also hope to be around to participate on this forum for a very long time to come.

Good afternoon all,

I was fortunate to have an Edwards Inspiris Resilia 23mm Aoric valve fitted at St Thomas Hospital in London on the 17th May 2017, at the time I was 61 years old and suffering from severe aortic stenosis and a bi-cuspid valve that was extremely blocked. My Consultant surgeon was Mr Michael Sabetai, and a nicer, more caring individual you cannot wish for.

I have only been in hospital twice before in my life, once for a severely infected foot, and once when I was born, but I don't remember too much about that, except what my mother told me. To say I was scared was something of an understatement, but I was put at ease by my Consultant who even took the time to explain everything that was happening to myself and my family, and he gave me the opportunity to choose which valve I would receive after explaining their pros and cons, even telling me that if I changed my mind, up to the point I went into surgery, then all I had to do was tell him and he would grant my request.

I had, as mentioned, my surgery on the 17th May 2017 and was discharged to home on the 21st May, after a few weeks of recovery I returned to work on the 22nd August and have been working full time ever since. The new valve is behaving itself and I have managed to complete a number of self imposed tasks, climbing over the O2 dome with my Consultant and a film crew from Edwards on the 5th December 2017, since then I have walked 17 miles of the Thames Path in London for the British Heart Foundation as well as a number of other events. I have never felt better, though I do get told off on a regular basis for trying to do things others think I can't do, but my Consultant and I both know I can.

In conclusion, my new valve will have its Birthday in a couple of weeks time and we will be celebrating 2 years of "Eddy"and a new me, and my wife now tells her friends that she now has a "Bit of Beefcake" for a husband. I hope that my story is not boring and I also hope to be around to participate on this forum for a very long time to come.
Brilliant to read this @tidespring82. My hospital, different surgeon but similar circumstances.

I’m currently pre-surgery. Getting reading for bicuspid replacement in a few months’ time or so. By mini-sternotomy.

Did he do a full sternotomy to put your Inspiris valve in place?

Great it all went smoothly with your procedure and things going good. 👌🏼

Nice to see you on the forum tidespring82 ! You must be one of the first in the UK to have got the new Inspiris Resilia. Your story is not at all boring ! I love the name you've given your valve :)

Brilliant to read this @tidespring82. My hospital, different surgeon but similar circumstances.

I’m currently pre-surgery. Getting reading for bicuspid replacement in a few months’ time or so. By mini-sternotomy.

Did he do a full sternotomy to put your Inspiris valve in place?

Great it all went smoothly with your procedure and things going good. 👌🏼

Hi Seaton,
I hope you are well, and thank you very much for the reply. Yes I had a full sternotomy and I can honestly say after 2 years (nearly) my scar is fading fast and is extremely neat. When you go in to St Thomas will you be going up to Beckett Ward before your proceedure, if so you will find the nursing staff up there to be first class. Who is your surgeon for the operation ?

Oh yes, nearly forgot, when you are discharged make sure you have a pillow or rolled up towel to protect your sternum on the journey home, the nurses call it a "Teddy" and by god it is welcome, believe me.

Nice to see you on the forum tidespring82 ! You must be one of the first in the UK to have got the new Inspiris Resilia. Your story is not at all boring ! I love the name you've given your valve :)

Hi Palewoman,
Thank you for the welcome and yes, I am led to believe I was the second recipient in the UK, and I am very humbled to have been given this new valve.

One thing that may be of interest to anyone who is fitted with one of these valves, Edwards Life Sciences will issue you with a card detailing the type of valve you have had, its serial number, where it was fitted, as well as when, along with the name of the surgeon.

Wow second recipient !

Edwards Life Sciences also give very good post AVR support. I had some questions I wanted to ask about my valve and they not only replied by email but one of their doctors who works for them telephoned me. He telephoned from France as they must have an office there. Telephoned on three different occasions to find out how things were (pressure gradients rising a lot). I was most impressed with that level of support. I keep my little card in my purse just in case there’s ever a problem so medics know straight away the type of valve.

Who is your surgeon for the operation ?

Mr Christopher Young.

An excellent surgeon by all accounts and an extremely friendly person to discuss procedure with. He explained a great deal and answered any questions I had with empathy and forthright clarity!

Oh yes, nearly forgot, when you are discharged make sure you have a pillow or rolled up towel to protect your sternum on the journey home, the nurses call it a "Teddy" and by god it is welcome, believe me.

Hahaha ... it is now on my list 👍🏼 Thank you. A good comfy cushion to cushion the coughs!

Last edited:
I'm 29 years old and staring down the barrel of my second OHS in less than two years. While I'm aware anticoagulation meds aren't the end of the world my preference is to stay off them. I lead a very active life and I'm just getting started.
I genuinely urge you to read around here and ask yourself why at less than 30 you aren't giving serious consideration to your future, because you won't be likely to be active in your 50's with as many surgeries as you'll need to keep going with tissue prosthetic valves.

There is a reason they were primarily aimed at older people.

Hello everyone! I haven't follow this forum for a long time, but I have read some valuable information that maybe helpful to
meyself. I had aortic and mitral (both tissue valves)replaced in June 2016 at the age of 56. I have dropped coumadin and metoprolol
for more than a year, only taking one low dose (81mg)aspirin daily. If my valves work well for 20 years, my surgeon told me repairs could be done without another open heart surgery, is it true? Also, any valve difficiency would progress gradually, not all in a sudden, am I right ?

Hello everyone! I haven't follow this forum for a long time, but I have read some valuable information that maybe helpful to
meyself. I had aortic and mitral (both tissue valves)replaced in June 2016 at the age of 56. I have dropped coumadin and metoprolol
for more than a year, only taking one low dose (81mg)aspirin daily. If my valves work well for 20 years, my surgeon told me repairs could be done without another open heart surgery, is it true? Also, any valve difficiency would progress gradually, not all in a sudden, am I right ?

The symptoms of valve failure, how long it will take and what will be needed to fix it varies for people.

Nobody knows the future, so rest easy with your decision. Make sure that you go to all your scheduled checkups and echos and know the systems of valve failure.

If my valves work well for 20 years, my surgeon told me repairs could be done without another open heart surgery, is it true?

It's a possibility, but I can't say for sure with what is here.

Also, any valve difficiency would progress gradually, not all in a sudden, am I right ?

That is not the way it normally goes. Slowly at first then rapidly.

I would try to not concern myself with valve failure if you had replacement in 2016. If your surgeon feels a TAVR will be done in 20 years rather than an open heart surgery, I would trust that he knows your valve condition better than any of us. I’ve been going back for post-op appointments since 2005. I believe my cardiologist relies almost entirely on my echocardiogram results. Symptoms are subjective and often misleading. A friend and former VR member is undergoing a TAVR next week and he told me yesterday that he feels good, no real symptoms, but his pressures keep rising. His valve deterioration is due to chemo and radiation damage rather than a longevity issue. New advances are taking place in all areas of valvular disease; I hope you are able to enjoy the present and take a wait and see approach to what the future may bring. Best wishes, Mary

Hello Paleowoman, it's been a while since I checked in here so apologies for the delay. It is now coming up to 8 months since my congenital bicuspid aortic valve and ascending aorta replacement - 2 ops in one :( and there is no difference to my earlier sensation. I still feel the pulsation and now I don't know if it is the heart I feel or the valve opening/closing or both. I have been checked out by my cardiologist on many occasions and there is nothing wrong with my Edwards Lifescience Resilia valve and nothing wrong with my ascending aorta either. I really don't know what to do. I was informed by my cardiologist I have to learn to live with the sounds which is very hard for me as I am very in tune with inner self. Sometimes I also feel like I have pneumonia but I know I haven't. As my fault is a birth defect my life has changed drastically to the worse.

How are you now-a-days?
Hi
I know how you feel. I have a very loud and pounding OnX valve. I had to previous tissue root/ace/arch replacements. This third we had to go mechanical. Also of note is he had to remove more calcium from my aortic root and valve then he seen in 40 years of practice . The valve I have now beats very hard and sends all of the shockwaves up on my ascending arch to just about under my chin
My primary care told me I should carry a note in case I pass out people won’t think I swallowed a bomb it is audible from 10 feet away under silent conditions and people have thought it was a bomb.
I’m trying to find someone else that lives with this. I’m trying to be grateful but I’m also very in touch with my inner self and it is difficult.

Latest posts

Back