Edwards Resilia Inspiris Aortic Valve

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

Freebird

Interesting that the company has reported reduced sales due to covid. Never thought of that. As someone who gratefully received one of these valves, mid-Pandemic, last August, I consider this welcome news. Thanks for sharing.

esvaja

Interesting that the company has reported reduced sales due to covid. Never thought of that. As someone who gratefully received one of these valves, mid-Pandemic, last August, I consider this welcome news. Thanks for sharing.
I will be getting a replacement for my 1st valve in about a month, I have gotten my 1st covid vaccination a week ago, I'm a little leery of going in before my 2nd. I'm having it done at the Cleveland Clinic. Was there any discussion regarding covid before yours?

Chuck C

I will be getting a replacement for my 1st valve in about a month, I have gotten my 1st covid vaccination a week ago, I'm a little leery of going in before my 2nd. I'm having it done at the Cleveland Clinic. Was there any discussion regarding covid before yours?
Hi. If you had your first vaccine a week ago, it sounds like you probably should get your second jab before your procedure. But, if you don't I wanted to share my experience with you regarding my upcoming surgery- my clinic, UCLA, is being very Covid safe and I expect Cleveland Clinic has the same level of precautions.
My surgery is in 8 days and the hoops I need to jump through this week for Covid testing are a pain, but I am glad that they are being so careful.
I will be arriving a day early near the hospital to get tested for Covid the day before at their facility. The test needs to be 24-48 hours before surgery. They want at least 24 hours so there is time to get results and beyond 48 hours they consider too far out, in case you picked it up since then.
Additionally, I go in Friday to get my coronary cath- three days before my aortic valve surgery. I will also need to do the same 24 hr-48 covid testing window.
They plan to do a CT scan on Monday, Tues or Weds, which has not been locked in yet. I will need the same covid testing clearance for this. I was tested yesterday, so that I am cleared for Covid in case they schedule my CT on Monday. Negative BTW. By Tuesday, that test will be considered too old, so I will probably schedule a test for Monday, which should clear me for a CT either Tuesday or Wednesday.

In other words, they are being very cautious that patients coming in don't have Covid. By now, all the hospital staff should have had the opportunity to get vaccinated and so that should be another layer of safety. They also have strict limitations on visitors- I am only allowed one visitor per day in recovery.

In addition, new Covid cases have been dropping like a rock in Ohio, as well as the rest of the country:

Personally, I feel that I am at very low risk of picking up Covid while in the hospital- probably less risk than a trip to the grocery store.

esvaja

Hi. If you had your first vaccine a week ago, it sounds like you probably should get your second jab before your procedure. But, if you don't I wanted to share my experience with you regarding my upcoming surgery- my clinic, UCLA, is being very Covid safe and I expect Cleveland Clinic has the same level of precautions.
My surgery is in 8 days and the hoops I need to jump through this week for Covid testing are a pain, but I am glad that they are being so careful.
I will be arriving a day early near the hospital to get tested for Covid the day before at their facility. The test needs to be 24-48 hours before surgery. They want at least 24 hours so there is time to get results and beyond 48 hours they consider too far out, in case you picked it up since then.
Additionally, I go in Friday to get my coronary cath- three days before my aortic valve surgery. I will also need to do the same 24 hr-48 covid testing window.
They plan to do a CT scan on Monday, Tues or Weds, which has not been locked in yet. I will need the same covid testing clearance for this. I was tested yesterday, so that I am cleared for Covid in case they schedule my CT on Monday. Negative BTW. By Tuesday, that test will be considered too old, so I will probably schedule a test for Monday, which should clear me for a CT either Tuesday or Wednesday.

In other words, they are being very cautious that patients coming in don't have Covid. By now, all the hospital staff should have had the opportunity to get vaccinated and so that should be another layer of safety. They also have strict limitations on visitors- I am only allowed one visitor per day in recovery.

In addition, new Covid cases have been dropping like a rock in Ohio, as well as the rest of the country:

Personally, I feel that I am at very low risk of picking up Covid while in the hospital- probably less risk than a trip to the grocery store.
I'm more concerned about the recovery from the AVR . I don't see myself getting out much for a while after, but gosh darn it wouldn't be a good thing.

gpr100rs

I'm more concerned about the recovery from the AVR . I don't see myself getting out much for a while after, but gosh darn it wouldn't be a good thing.
esvaja- my AVR is scheduled at Cleveland Clinic 4-13. I have not been vaccinated. They told me that if you have had the first injection, they will only procede with the surgery provided you have had the second round, but being vacinated is not required to do the surgery.

Freebird

Why yes there was, but probably not in the way you’re thinking. I was scheduled for surgery in July and tested Covid positive the day before the surgery. Thankfully I was asymptomatic but had to test negative twice before they’d reschedule the surgery.

I suspect my surgeon wasn’t quite sure what he’d find once he went in on me, though he never mentioned any concerns. So much about Covid is unknown!

Since then I’ve been fully vaccinated and I feel very fortunate. What is the Cleveland Clinic’s policy on vaccination? Are they ok with you going in mid-vaccine?

Freebird

esvaja- my AVR is scheduled at Cleveland Clinic 4-13. I have not been vaccinated. They told me that if you have had the first injection, they will only procede with the surgery provided you have had the second round, but being vacinated is not required to do the surgery.
This seems to make sense since the second jab often elicits a bit of a reaction that I would think wouldn’t be great in immediate recovery.

esvaja

This seems to make sense since the second jab often elicits a bit of a reaction that I would think wouldn’t be great in immediate recovery.
Cleveland Clinic didn't encouraged me to get my covid "jab" before surgery, but I personally am concerned for my post-operative recovery. I wouldn't feel comfortable having the vaccine after. My surgery is 4/20 my 2nd jab is 3/31 so if I do feel any symptoms they should be well over by the 20th

Freebird

Cleveland Clinic didn't encouraged me to get my covid "jab" before surgery, but I personally am concerned for my post-operative recovery. I wouldn't feel comfortable having the vaccine after. My surgery is 4/20 my 2nd jab is 3/31 so if I do feel any symptoms they should be well over by the 20th
That sounds like excellent timing! Being vaccinated has really given me peace of mind. Best wishes for an uneventful recovery! Keep us posted.