Echos and CT scans

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavesMom

Hi all,

I had AVR/aneurysm repair back in 1999 and have had a yearly echo every year since then. Along with the echo I started having an annual CT scan four years ago when an ascending aortic aneurysm was discovered - it currently measures 4.5 cm.

Oddly enough, my cardio is only scheduling a CT scan this year. No echo for the first time. Of course I can't get an answer as to why from the nurse so will ask the doc herself during my office visit next month.

However, I tend to obsess about these sort of things : ) and the only guess I have is that an echo and CT give basically the same information, even though I know a CT is more detailed.

So that's my question: do a CT and echo basically give the same information?

Thanks in advance. Hope everyone's well.

The CT scan gives a more accurate measurement of the aneurysm. I believe the echo gives more information about the heart and valves.

That's what I thought too, AZ Don. Somehow I've always thought both of them are needed to get the complete picture.

As I said, I'll ask my cardio when I see her, but this still has me very curious.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back