Echocardiogram Artifact

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Thought I'd share a recent scare.

Almost 10 years after aortic valve replacement, after dropping 50 lbs, after runninge several marathons and multple short course triathlons, my regular echo showed a potential "mass" in the left atrium. My cardiologist suspect that it was a false reading "artifact", but needed to rule out Myxoma (tumor) in the left atrium and ordered a TEE. The TEE is an echo that is done from within the esophagus (yuch). They can see the heart closer-up from there, and sure enough, there is no tumor. Go figure. Even a chamber away, the mechanical valve was throwing off sound waves (after 10 years). To make matters more exciting, in my follow-up appointment, my cardiologist described my heart as "pristine". "PRISTINE" Chokes me up to think about dodging "another one". Praise God!

Interesting side note, it took 2 attempts to shove that probe down my throat even under heavy sedation. Oh well.

I had a TEE years ago myself, and that wasn't much fun at all. Good news is, they weren't looking for a mass! Glad to hear you are okay, and it's not a tumor. Just a little stress, I imagine :)

--Dan

Hey Tommy! Long time no see! I'm sorry you had such a scare, and I'm really sorry that you had to undergo a TEE to get a correct diagnosis. On the positive side, how great is it that the cardiologist describes your heart as PRISTINE? Way to go!

Mary

Thanks y'all. It's quit a relief.

Hey buncle - neighbor! Small world. Dr. Mack did my valve 10 years ago at Med City Dallas. The TEE was done at Baylor Heart in Plano.

Coincidentally, Dr Mack's office called for a 10 year follow-up - routine I guess - follow-up and research. I talked to them before the first echo and told them all is well. Then, after the second echo, I got a formal request for my latest echo. I signed authorizations for both echos. All is still well, but I'm curious to see if the artifact interests him.

:) Glad you are okay, Tommy!

My echo during my last annual had some worrisome measurements; and since then I've read [here] that some things can depend on the echo tech's expertise; I'm hoping my upcoming annual echo will have better results.

Eva said:
Sorry you had to go through such a scare unnecessarily.
Hmmmmmm.......perhaps there was a purpose. I've come through this a little more grateful.

Lily said:
My echo during my last annual had some worrisome measurements; and since then I've read [here] that some things can depend on the echo tech's expertise; I'm hoping my upcoming annual echo will have better results.
I agree, to an extent. I think that the cardiologist can filter out the technique in his/her review. The other thing is that technology improves over the years. I should have know something was going on when the tech probed me from angles never before checked, including dropping a false panel out of the side of the table. At the time, I chalked it up to new procedures. Or maybe the tech knew to check the other angles when she saw something she didn't like. Anyway, hope your next test goes well.

Hmmmmmm.......perhaps there was a purpose. I've come through this a little more grateful.

I agree, to an extent. I think that the cardiologist can filter out the technique in his/her review. The other thing is that technology improves over the years. I should have know something was going on when the tech probed me from angles never before checked, including dropping a false panel out of the side of the table. At the time, I chalked it up to new procedures. Or maybe the tech knew to check the other angles when she saw something she didn't like. Anyway, hope your next test goes well.
I've had similar echo experiences.
The tech really digs around and also drops the table panel for more access on the other side of my heart.
Then my report comes back with something about reading difficulties due to reverberation. I should dig out the report again.

drivetopless said:
I HATE the TEE. One of the more awful experiences I've ever had. Don't think they gave me enough happy drugs. BUT what great news. Congrats!
Yeah, what I didn't mention is that the TEE took two attempts. It wasn't relevant to the eventual outcome, so I didn't "go there" in my original post, but since you brought it up.....................

The first attempt was under full anesthisia with an anesthesiologist. She used the juice that wakes me up refreshed. Unfortunately, the interventionist could not get the probe down my throat. He fought it for a while, and considered trying with a smaller pediatric probe, but saw how raw the back of my throat was, and decided to send me home with "no decision", and try again another day. He felt bad and was very forthcoming about the lac of success. My throat hurt for about a week.

I waited four weeks for the second attempt. My son got married and we had lots of family in town. I decide to celebrate and enjoy their company. There'd be plenty of time later to be a burden.

For the second attempt the nurse was my "bartender" with a lighter anesthesia. Different interventionist too. He used a pediatric probe, but still was challenged. He told my wide that he had never given anyone as much juice as he had to give me to loosen up. I woke up feeling sluggish for days, despite the elation of no tumor.

Here's another angle on this story (full disclosure now). I debated cramming the second TEE before the wedding. I figured that knowing the outcome might make the wedding more merry..........or it could be a downer and a huge distraction.............or I could get another busted test and not be able to eat wedding cake. As it turned out, the wedding went hugely well, and succesfully took my mind off my worries. All in good time.

Latest posts

Back