Duh -- Rx info sheets!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catwoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
My PCP ran a vitamin D test during my annual 1 week ago, and his nurse called this week to say I'm extremely low and need to take vitamin D. I thought, OK, I'll go to Walmart or somewhere and get a bottle. Nope, gotta take 50,000 units one day a week X 8 weeks then get retested.

She called in the Rx and I picked it up today.

The info sheet that comes with all Rxes now said VITAMIN D. (Vye-ta-min D)

Egads! Don't the people who put these leaflets together use some common sense? I guess their elevators don't go all the way upstairs, they're not dealing with a full deck, etc. I guess this is programmed to give pronunciation of every medicine, regardless how basic.

And those 8 capsules cost $17.84. I did look on the shelves and there was a bottle of 100 gel caps containing 5,000 units. That bottle was $9. Don't know if there was any difference.
But I will certainly ask my PCP if I have to continue taking Vye-ta-min D.

My PCP recently recommended it to me and said that most people are deficient in it and that it helps heart function along with other things. He suggested 5000 iu daily. I will get tested in about 3 months.
John

My PCP ran a vitamin D test during my annual 1 week ago, and his nurse called this week to say I'm extremely low and need to take vitamin D. I thought, OK, I'll go to Walmart or somewhere and get a bottle. Nope, gotta take 50,000 units one day a week X 8 weeks then get retested.

She called in the Rx and I picked it up today.

The info sheet that comes with all Rxes now said VITAMIN D. (Vye-ta-min D)

Egads! Don't the people who put these leaflets together use some common sense? I guess their elevators don't go all the way upstairs, they're not dealing with a full deck, etc. I guess this is programmed to give pronunciation of every medicine, regardless how basic.

And those 8 capsules cost $17.84. I did look on the shelves and there was a bottle of 100 gel caps containing 5,000 units. That bottle was $9. Don't know if there was any difference.
But I will certainly ask my PCP if I have to continue taking Vye-ta-min D.

And those 8 capsules cost $17.84
Marsha, your paying for dispensing fee's. Definitely call your doc and ask what the difference is.

Heck Marsha, just buy 1000 at a time.

Vitamin D - 50000unit Capsules
Quantity Our Price
100 capsules $152.99 - save 25% ($52.09)
300 capsules $458.97 - save 25% ($156.26)
400 capsules $611.96 - save 25% ($208.35)
500 capsules $764.95 - save 25% ($260.44)
600 capsules $917.94 - save 25% ($312.53)

My doc just did blood test to see if I was deficient in D. I am fine. I was reading an article in the readers digest. It said eat right and the only vitamin you need is D. I started to take it anyway, but I just bought over the counter. Let us know if there is any difference.

I've heard folks pronounce the word as the first syllable rhyming with hit. For some reason, I think some British folks may say that???

Sunshine is the best source for Vitamin D. Hard to get enough from diet alone if you live in a region that has cold, dark winters. Supplements are then beneficial when doctor approved.

My rn friend found out she was low in vit D. She is a diabetic educator, so she ordered all her patients to be tested, and a huge % were also very low in vit D. Men and Women. I asked my pcp if I needed testing and she said no. Maybe, I'll ask my cardio. I already take calcium/vit D daily, but so did my friend. And she cycles, walks and gets in the sun all the time.

There is no difference between the over-the-counter and the pharmacy variety, excepting who pays for it and how much. Most are vitamin D3, easy to metabolize. I've seen these prescriptions for huge doses before, but I don't know whyat the thought is behind them. They are considering raising the RDA for it. It's an oil-based vitamin, so there are tolerance limits for it, but they seem to be pretty liberal. It' sless concerning than most oil-based vitamins, though.

Best wishes,

The weekly mega doses of Vitam D like this are used to rapidly bring the level back into the normal range versus doing this slowly over time, and t hen are often followed by a maintinance dosing. Important to make sure Calcium intake is adequate or take a Ca supplement along iwth these large doses (with MD supervision as well).

Back