Driving question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybunny

I drive a small pickup truck and - at 5 feet even - have to lift myself into the drivers seat using the strap. I have running boards but even so I use a lot of arm muscle to get in. I really like my vechicle and don't need another bill to pay, but wonder if I should trade it in for something smaller or rent a small car for awhile when I'm ready to do back yo work. Thoughts?

Definitely sounds like it might be tough to manage if you have to lift yourself into the vehicle. Maybe you could swap vehicles with a family member or a close friend for a short while?

I've thought about that. My daughter, who lives with me drives a Lexus convertible that I'd proper not to drive but maybe I need to swallow my pride. Others I can think of drive trucks or SUVs. But I can post on Facebook I suppose. Thanks Hectic :)

I think a lot depends upon your strength level pre and post op. After my surgery, my wife was driving a Toyota 4Runner (medium-large SUV) with running boards. It was definitely a step up into the truck, but with the hand-holds at the windshield pillars, I was able to help myself up into the truck with no issues at all. Just take it slow and easy, especially until you get the feel of things.

P.S. I rode home from the hospital in that truck, too. From day 1 on, no issues getting in and out - as long as I took it slowly.

Thanks, Steve, good to hear! I'm wondering also if the cardiac rehab folks will be able to assign exercises that would help with this.

It wouldn't be as big a deal if I were taller than 5' and didn't have such short legs. When I step on the running board my knee just about reaches my chest and I feel the pull when I pull up with the hand-hold.

After a sternotomy, generally you are restricted from driving for about 6 weeks, while your sternum heals. After this the restrictions on what you can do are relaxed pretty quickly, though it varies from Dr. to Dr. So by the time you are driving I don't think it will be much of an issue as long as you take it easy at first. During the 6 weeks post op, when you are a passenger is when this could be more of an issue. Maybe you can get rides in smaller cars during this time.

honeybunny;n858379 said:
Thanks, Steve, good to hear! I'm wondering also if the cardiac rehab folks will be able to assign exercises that would help with this.

It wouldn't be as big a deal if I were taller than 5' and didn't have such short legs. When I step on the running board my knee just about reaches my chest and I feel the pull when I pull up with the hand-hold.

Im just starting cardiac rehab but have only had orientation. I had the same question about exercising arms and shoulders to regain strength from sternotomy... I was told that's more physical therapy and not really what they do in cardiac rehab :( At least that's how it's done at our local hospital. I wondered if it would be different if I did rehab where I had surgery instead but that's a ways to drive three days a week. Kind of a bummer.

I've been given mixed info and returning to driving. My surgeon and nurses made it pretty clear six weeks til getting behind the wheel and until then only ride in the back seat due to potential risk of airbag impact. Two other docs since the four week mark that I was free to drive if I want. I still don't feel like I have the full range of motion in my arms and definitely don't feel like my arms have the required reaction time if I had to react quickly to steer around something or the like. Next week is six weeks so maybe I'll see how I feel then.

Thanks Don. Guess I'm envisioning the challenge as using my right arm to lift my fat little 150 lb. self about 2 ft off the ground and into the truck. I put most of my body weight into that lift, and sometimes its a strain. But I'm not a physicist so I don't know if my premise is a logical one.

Hectic, thanks for the heads up on the cardio rehab not being suited for upper body strengthening.

It's something I'll discuss with my doctors when the tine comes,

If they are doing a sternotomy during your surgery, you don't want to be lifting your body weight into the truck using your arms/upper body! Look into getting a small, lightweight box to step up onto before getting into the truck, with a rope of some kind attached so you could pull it up into the truck with you.

Almost-hectic is correct, it will be about 6 weeks post surgery before you are allowed to drive.

Hope this helps.

Yes, CameraGuy, that helps. I was thinking about a step of some kind but couldn't think of how I could pick it up once I was in. I will talk to my son about rigging something. He mentioned yesterday adding a second step of some sort.

Honeybunny, when did you have surgery? I have not been here for a few days. If you just in post op., you are straining to pull up which doctors do not recommend for a time to let the sturnum to start the healing process. Do not rush the healing, it will total a year and pushing it to strain the sturnum muscles will put more trauma on the healing process. Just do what daughter said, let people drive you around till you are cleard to go back to work. We do not like setbacks, a pain in the butt. Hugs for today and take care to not strain the sturnum. Okay!:Smile:

Hi Caroline, my surgery will be in 10 days on 9/30. I'm just looking ahead to when I'm ready to go back to work. I have a 70-mile round trip commute. I'll be good post op but wondered if climbing into my truck would be a problem after 6-8 weeks. Thanks for the response and smiley face!

I like it! Just ordered one in black to match my truck. For $13 USD if it doesn't serve the intended purpose I've not spent a lot of money. Thanks, johninsd ~

Latest posts

Back