Drinking alcohol on warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I use 60ml glasses and typically half fill them, strangely that seems to work at helping me sip it).
Actually that's quite a good idea - we've some sherry glasses that must be not much bigger than that, I'll try using those. Won't get much nose from the wine, but hopefully enough.

In the UK it doesn't help that pubs have three different wine glass sizes. Most use a 175ml (quarter bottle), but some can give you a 250ml (third of a bottle) without asking. Normally the 125ml (sixth of a bottle} you have to specifically ask for.
A third of a bottle of 14% Malbec is quite a hit of alcohol and needs to be treated with caution, some of the New World whites can approach that as well.
Couple that with the wide range of beer strengths on draught - between about 3.4 and 6%, then it's easy to lose track of what you're drinking alcohol-wise.

With high INR ranges, us valvers need to be careful of taking knocks whilst a bit boozed up - mine sits between 3 and 4 so I wouldn't like to bash my head!

With high INR ranges, us valvers need to be careful of taking knocks
Just wondering why you have your INR there?

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2017/01/2016-inr-data.html
But yes, as we age out vascular system also ages and we can't take the abuse we could as younger fellas. Elasticity goes as I understand it, making a bleed more likely from the same knock (say 100G's). Warfarin the exacerbates the results of that IC bleed and voilla.

But back into wine, I'll send a pic of my wine glass.

Hi

Actually that's quite a good idea - we've some sherry glasses that must be not much bigger than that, I'll try using those. Won't get much nose from the wine, but hopefully enough.
as mentioned above this is the wine glass I commonly use now, its actually pretty much what you find in most Trattoria in Italy (and indeed this one is also made in Italy)
1635104437908.png

the opening is about 7cm and if you can't get sufficient nose out of that then I'll be surprised. I have found there is a lot of King Wang goes on in the wine industry and people love to hold specific shapes dear (such as a tulip shaped wine glass) however there is really no clear benefit I've found unless you're really winding the wine around the inner surface of the glass. This is fine for a tasting, where you don't care how much of the volatiles leave the glass (they are finite in quantity too btw) and evaporate. I find that with a half a glass (the glass is also 70cm high) as I tilt the glass I expose an elipse of wine surface (which significantly increases surface area) and with my nose in the glass get as good a aroma as with other glasses.

If the focus is to be on the enjoyment of the wine (and not getting plastered) then I find this approach suitable.

Now another tip is to not be drinking wine while your focusing on something else. I've learned to not be touching my wine while in conversation. I tend to drink it faster (being engaged in conversation) and not notice it (but the alcohol is still there).

Please excuse the coffee maker in the background, its still pre 6am here and that's what I'm drinking now (naturally I have a grinder, grind beans, have experimented with the ideal grind and tamping per bean I buy and have an espresso machine ... which is now approaching 17 years of service and has been too and from Finland twice ... although it caused quite some excitement at Heathrow until I could prove I didn't have a bomb in my carry-on.)

@ClickerTicker
Google's getting pretty good, I searched one term once, it gave me this in my feed this morning

Hildegarde Heymann, Ph.D., a sensory scientist in the Viticulture and Enology department at University of California, Davis, arrived at that conclusion based on people tasting the same type of wine in two different glasses, as well as people drinking multiple styles of wine out of the same glass. There will be “nuances,” she says, but not much overall difference.​

There will be “nuances,” she says, but not much overall difference.
Yes, I agree there's not likely to be much real difference. Have never understood people spending a large fortune on Riedel wine glasses - and they most likely won't go in the dishwasher either...
Our sherry glasses hold about 90ml full, so similar in capacity to yours but very different shape. Will give them a try to see if I still enjoy the wine.
1635369850195.png

It's great that you're taking your health seriously and trying to find the right balance with your medication. It's understandable that you miss socializing with your friends over drinks, but it's important to be careful with alcohol while on warfarin. Alcohol can interact with the medication and increase your risk of bleeding.

I’m quite late in breaking into the conversation, and I see you have gone too far on the topic of alcohol, but I'd like to return to the original question. It's essential to be cautious about alcohol consumption while on warfarin. Since warfarin is a blood thinner, excessive alcohol consumption can increase your risk of bleeding and other complications. It's best to talk to your doctor or healthcare provider about how much alcohol is safe for you to consume while on warfarin.

Welcome to the forum GradyWarren.

Since warfarin is a blood thinner, excessive alcohol consumption can increase your risk of bleeding and other complications.
Are you currently on warfarin? How much does drinking alcohol affect your INR? Is this advice from personal experience or what you've heard?

but it's important to be careful with alcohol while on warfarin.

agree ... falling is an issue when you fall down drunk ...

Alcohol can interact with the medication and increase your risk of bleeding.

only by falling down when drunk. Do you have some evidence to back that assertion?

Warfarin does not cause bleeds, it only exacerbates them. Bleeds is normally referring to bowel bleeds, but if drunk you fall down the stairs you could get an IC bleed. If you fall down the stairs its best to go to ER and see what they say.

So, tell me about your warfarin experience and how you manage yours?

It's understandable that you miss socializing with your friends over drinks, but it's important to be careful with alcohol while on warfarin. Alcohol can interact with the medication and increase your risk of bleeding.
So, shouldn't the answer to be to self test and "know thyself"? Most of us find that having a few drinks has very little effect on INR, either not moving it at all or only a little bit. Yes, we aught to all be careful, but it is important to know thyself and understand how drinking alcohol affects our individual INR. This feedback is easily obtainable for individuals who self test. See what INR is at baseline, then test the next day after a couple drinks. If a young person really enjoys having a few drinks socially with their mates, they do not automatically have to give this up. Know thyself, know your INR and understand how things affect your INR.

I am guilty of not heeding the doctor’s advice and I am, what I believe to be, a binge drinker. I have had my valve 2 years and soon after what I considered suitable recovery, started to hit the bottle quite hard. I self-test with great assistance and advice from @pellicle. I am also guilty of being a fall down drunk and face planted coming home one night. I was lucky in that the only adverse effect of this tumble was a bloody nose (Yes it is big enough to take a hit like that!!)
With regards to my INR, I have noticed it will rise 0.6 - 0.8 after a couple of heavy nights (we all have our own ideas of what a heavy night is), however I consider it still in range and only once this year has it gone to a point where I was concerned enough to request the advice of @pellicle and I adjusted my dose briefly to bring it back in line.
Yes, I know it is not big and it is not clever to behave this way, however I refuse to live in a cotton wool bubble and still want to live my life the way I want to live it. I am not supporting a heavy drinking lifestyle and certainly know the risks I am taking. Just adding my views through my own experience.
For what it’s worth.

With regards to my INR, I have noticed it will rise 0.6 - 0.8 after a couple of heavy nights (we all have our own ideas of what a heavy night is), however I consider it still in range
Thanks for sharing your personal data and good for you for testing afterwards so that you know.

I am not supporting a heavy drinking lifestyle and certainly know the risks I am taking.
Understood. I applaud you for being so open and willing to share your personal experience for the benefit of others.

Hey Moddey, thanks for the kind words

I just wanted to expand on this for other readers

I self-test with great assistance and advice from @pellicle.

Moddey is a great example of what I call a steady hand on the tiller. He seldom makes adjustment and is tolerant of an errant reading, only making a course correction if he sees its moving out of range in a (clinically) "significant" manner.

He started all this in a difficult time (COVID, lockdowns, minimal medical oversight and vaccinations) but (in my view) quickly learned the ropes and has become a competent self administrator.

Yes, that's right, he doesn't get any advice from a clinic >because< his INR is in range >97% of the time. Just like your car you don't need to take it to a mechanic when "everything is working good".

and only once this year has it gone to a point where I was concerned enough to request the advice of @pellicle and I adjusted my dose briefly to bring it back in line.

I'm happy to help mate. If you need to reach out on something like one fifty second of readings then that's pretty good.

To others who are yet in "self administration land" I'll say that this is what you get from
  • making sure you take your dose as scheduled
  • self testing and being aware of what your INR is doing
  • being involved and feeling enabled
Best Wishes

not that i do this but does it affect anything if you drink in the afternoon and then take your dose of warfarin at teatime and then have more drink?
Like most i do not drink like i used to and tend not to have a beer or glass of vino until meds are taken?

Latest posts

Back