Drinking alcohol on warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean I can still drink if I choose a mechanical valve? Great!

Like "Superman" says drinking while on warfarin is not a problem but getting "falling down drunk" may cause some problems. I have posted numerous times that I even got a 12oz can of "real" beer every nite, as a diuretic, while I was in the hospital post AVR. Heavy drinking may influence your INR and make INR monitoring a little more difficult.........depending on how much and how often you drink.........like most everything else, drinking in moderation and socially should not be a problem............hic!;)

Like "Superman" says drinking while on warfarin is not a problem but getting "falling down drunk" may cause some problems. I have posted numerous times that I even got a 12oz can of "real" beer every nite, as a diuretic, while I was in the hospital post AVR. Heavy drinking may influence your INR and make INR monitoring a little more difficult.........depending on how much and how often you drink.........like most everything else, drinking in moderation and socially should not be a problem............hic!;)
I'd love to see a clinic come out with some real world guidelines that were not so PC CYA "Drinking should be fine as long as you don't get falling down drunk. Like, don't get so drunk that you go back to the wrong hotel room and then freak out because some other couple is in your room! " Yes, that really happened lol! :)

I'd love to see a clinic come out with some real world guidelines that were not so PC
About as likely as the Vatican endorsing abortion.

Personally I'd be happy if they just managed INR better than "usual care" and did as least as good as I do for myself and those I guide.

I'd love to see a clinic come out with some real world guidelines that were not so PC CYA "Drinking should be fine as long as you don't get falling down drunk.
The safest bet is to assume that the client face of clinics are mainly well meaning morons with personal prejudices. So to provide an answer from a well regarded Australian Medical Information source:

https://www.nps.org.au/australian-prescriber/articles/managing-warfarin-therapy-in-the-community
Alcohol in small to moderate amounts probably has little effect on warfarin metabolism. In heavy drinkers, however, factors such as increased falls, alcohol-induced gastritis, poor diet and poor compliance potentiate the risk of bleeding.

The safest bet is to assume that the client face of clinics are mainly well meaning morons with personal prejudices. So to provide an answer from a well regarded Australian Medical Information source:

https://www.nps.org.au/australian-prescriber/articles/managing-warfarin-therapy-in-the-community
Alcohol in small to moderate amounts probably has little effect on warfarin metabolism. In heavy drinkers, however, factors such as increased falls, alcohol-induced gastritis, poor diet and poor compliance potentiate the risk of bleeding.
So as long as we stay in the moderate range, say 1/3 bottle of bourbon, we should be fine, :)

@Chuck C
myself I had about half a bottle of red in conversations about a significant step last night ... I didn't die, I'll report my INR (which I take tomorrow) if you like
Yes, would love the feedback. By red you mean red wine? In the US a standard bottle of red would be about 2 glasses. Unless you're talking about one of those big ass Paul Mason bottles- that would mean about 8 glasses!

I drink 2 wines most nights. Sometimes I don't feel like it and I don't or sometimes I just have one. It has not been a problem with my INR.

In the US a standard bottle of red would be about 2 glasses. Unless you're talking about one of those big ass Paul Mason bottles- that would mean about 8 glasses!
mate I dunno what size glasses you have but when I've bought wine in the UK, Europe, Canada or the USA it came in a 750ml bottle. I've mainly seen the tiddlers on airlines.

1613775776898.png

1613775825632.png

INR was 3.2 this morning but then I also took some ibuprofen as well as that for my still sore back.

PS: who is Paul Mason?

mate I dunno what size glasses you have but when I've bought wine in the UK, Europe, Canada or the USA it came in a 750ml bottle. I've mainly seen the tiddlers on airlines.

View attachment 887550

View attachment 887551

INR was 3.2 this morning but then I also took some ibuprofen as well as that for my still sore back.

PS: who is Paul Mason?
Nice to know that your INR stays in the safe range with a few drinks.

I really like the visual pregnancy warning that the Aussie government requires. You guys think of everything. A picture can say a thousand words; the clear message being "Drink responsibly or you might get pregnant." lol

"I guess you aren't much of a wine drinker"

" mate I dunno what size glasses you have"

I drink wine, but prefer beer or vodka. As to glass size, I noted that in AU they consider 750ml to be 8.2 drinks, per the photo you provided from the label. I had estimated the number of glasses per standard bottle at 4. So, I did some calculations. At 8.2 drinks per 750 ml that is 91.45 ml per drink, as defined by the AU government. Converting to ounces, that is 3 ounces per drink/glass. Mate, in the US we have a name for a 3oz glass- it's called a shot glass. I'm sticking by my guns that a bottle of wine is equal to 4 glasses. I guess some things just come a little bigger over here :)

Last edited:
I think someone should just start a warfarin myths page and it will be a reference for questions that are - to me, anyway - annoying.

Warfarin does not change your diet or habits just activities. You cannot play competitive contact sports on Warfarin. You don't want to chance head injuries but who does?

Food and bad habits are yours to indulge as you choose. Drink whatever, smoke whatever, eat whatever...just remember to test and give yourself a room to maneuver.

I got into the habit of fresh ginger with tea this week, lots of tea with ginger. I tested and my INR was 4.3...nice. skipped a dose and will half another dose later this week otherwise back to my regular schedule and will test again next week.

Its like looking in the crapper after a dump and going hmmm i need to eat more fiber.

You mean I can still drink if I choose a mechanical valve? Great! This is actually a very interesting discussion for me. I would never make my valve choice over this issue, but I am trying to visualize my future life on warfarin, as I am leaning mechanical at this point. And, about 2-3 times per month, I really enjoy watching the fights and having a few beers- last Saturday, I watched the UFC and had 6 light beers over the course of 3 hours. I don't get even close to fall down drunk, but just like getting a good buzz going as I enjoy watching the fights. To hear the doctors talk about life on warfarin, they basically say that if you have more than one drink you will be near the edge of death. So, the thought that I likely will be able to have a few beers from time to time is good news. One more thing that I might not have to change. At the same time, as others have noted that they get big movements to their INR with one drink, I realize I will need to closely watch my INR after drinking to see which category I fall into.
Hi Chuck,
Was looking through this thread and was wondering how you've found navigating your INR and alcohol now that you are past your surgery?

Dose the diet, not diet the dose. My diet includes beer, wine, and spirits.
You already know that a big binge throws your body out of whack, and we are too old for that. :cry:
So enjoy and be happy.

Hi Chuck,
Was looking through this thread and was wondering how you've found navigating your INR and alcohol now that you are past your surgery?

Hi ET,

I have not had any issue with alcohol and INR since going on warfarin 7 months ago. In a typical day I will usually have one or two glasses of wine and I almost always stay in range. I self-monitor and I like data and feedback, so I have tested to see affects from various amounts of alcohol. I'm not generally a heavy drinker, but I have had a few days watching the fights where I might drink 5-7 beers. I have noticed that on the morning following that many drinks that my INR does inch up, but not to alarming levels. I might have been consistenly at INR of 2.5 and the morning after having several drinks I might be about 2.8, for example, which would still be in my target range of 2.0-3.0 and then the next day it will be typically back to 2.5.

I have also experimented with dropping my dose just a little, if I believe that I might have several drinks that day- for example from 7mg to 6mg. I have found this to work well for me in keeping my INR from changing due to a day with more than normal alcohol consumption. I'm not suggesting that anyone else do this, but it has worked for me if I want to avoid even a small upward movement of INR.

I think what you want to be careful of is if you don't drink much, then go on vacation and drink heavily for several days in a row. There have been case studies of people who have had problems in doing this type of behavior. This is one of the real benefits of self-testing, because if you were to go on such a vacation and were to drink more than normal for several days, you could work in a couple of INR spot checks during to the trip to make sure that you are staying in range.

Last edited:
Hi ET,

I have not had any issue with alcohol and INR since going on warfarin 7 months ago. In a typical day I will usually have one or two glasses of wine and I almost always stay in range. I self-monitor and I like data and feedback, so I have tested to see affects from various amounts of alcohol. I'm not generally a heavy drinker, but I have had a few days watching the fights where I might drink 5-7 beers. I have noticed that on the morning following that many drinks that my INR does inch up, but not to alarming levels. I might have been consistenly at INR of 2.5 and the morning after having several drinks I might be about 2.8, for example, which would still be in my target range of 2.0-3.0 and then the next day it will be typically back to 2.5.

I have also experimented with dropping my dose just a little, if I believe that I might have several drinks that day- for example from 7mg to 6mg. I have found this to work well for me in keeping my INR from changing due to a day with more than normal alcohol consumption. I'm suggesting that anyone else do this, but it has worked for me if I want to avoid even a small upward movement of INR.

I think what you want to be careful of is if you don't drink much, then go on vacation and drink heavily for several days in a row. There have been case studies of people who have had problems in doing this type of behavior. This is one of the real benefits of self-testing, because if you were to go on such a vacation and were to drink more than normal for several days, you could work in a couple of INR spot checks during to the trip to make sure that you are staying in range.
Thanks so much, that is extremely helpful and reassuring. I'm pretty similar. I don't drink much during the week, but will have maybe 2-6 beers on a Friday and Saturday. Maybe once a year I'll go on vacation and drink beer on a more consistent daily basis for a week.
On an unrelated note, I believe in prior posts you said you were pretty physically active. I workout pretty vigorously (obviously scaling it down given the severity of the stenosis right now). Any restrictions/limitations with the mechanical valve? Everything I've read indicates that we can work out as intensely as we want, but having real-world insight is always helpful.
Once again I appreciate all of the help and info, and am glad your post-surgical course seems to be going well.

Latest posts

Back