Quantcast

Drinking alcohol on warfarin

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

dick0236

Eat the elephant one bite at a time
VR.org Supporter
You mean I can still drink if I choose a mechanical valve? Great!
Like "Superman" says drinking while on warfarin is not a problem but getting "falling down drunk" may cause some problems. I have posted numerous times that I even got a 12oz can of "real" beer every nite, as a diuretic, while I was in the hospital post AVR. Heavy drinking may influence your INR and make INR monitoring a little more difficult.........depending on how much and how often you drink.........like most everything else, drinking in moderation and socially should not be a problem............hic!;)

Chuck C

Like "Superman" says drinking while on warfarin is not a problem but getting "falling down drunk" may cause some problems. I have posted numerous times that I even got a 12oz can of "real" beer every nite, as a diuretic, while I was in the hospital post AVR. Heavy drinking may influence your INR and make INR monitoring a little more difficult.........depending on how much and how often you drink.........like most everything else, drinking in moderation and socially should not be a problem............hic!;)
I'd love to see a clinic come out with some real world guidelines that were not so PC CYA "Drinking should be fine as long as you don't get falling down drunk. Like, don't get so drunk that you go back to the wrong hotel room and then freak out because some other couple is in your room! " Yes, that really happened lol! :)

pellicle

Professional Dingbat
I'd love to see a clinic come out with some real world guidelines that were not so PC CYA "Drinking should be fine as long as you don't get falling down drunk.
The safest bet is to assume that the client face of clinics are mainly well meaning morons with personal prejudices. So to provide an answer from a well regarded Australian Medical Information source:

Alcohol in small to moderate amounts probably has little effect on warfarin metabolism. In heavy drinkers, however, factors such as increased falls, alcohol-induced gastritis, poor diet and poor compliance potentiate the risk of bleeding.

Chuck C

The safest bet is to assume that the client face of clinics are mainly well meaning morons with personal prejudices. So to provide an answer from a well regarded Australian Medical Information source:

Alcohol in small to moderate amounts probably has little effect on warfarin metabolism. In heavy drinkers, however, factors such as increased falls, alcohol-induced gastritis, poor diet and poor compliance potentiate the risk of bleeding.
So as long as we stay in the moderate range, say 1/3 bottle of bourbon, we should be fine, :)

Chuck C

@Chuck C
myself I had about half a bottle of red in conversations about a significant step last night ... I didn't die, I'll report my INR (which I take tomorrow) if you like
Yes, would love the feedback. By red you mean red wine? In the US a standard bottle of red would be about 2 glasses. Unless you're talking about one of those big ass Paul Mason bottles- that would mean about 8 glasses!

pellicle

Professional Dingbat
In the US a standard bottle of red would be about 2 glasses. Unless you're talking about one of those big ass Paul Mason bottles- that would mean about 8 glasses!
mate I dunno what size glasses you have but when I've bought wine in the UK, Europe, Canada or the USA it came in a 750ml bottle. I've mainly seen the tiddlers on airlines.

1613775776898.png

1613775825632.png

INR was 3.2 this morning but then I also took some ibuprofen as well as that for my still sore back.

PS: who is Paul Mason?

Chuck C

mate I dunno what size glasses you have but when I've bought wine in the UK, Europe, Canada or the USA it came in a 750ml bottle. I've mainly seen the tiddlers on airlines.

View attachment 887550

View attachment 887551

INR was 3.2 this morning but then I also took some ibuprofen as well as that for my still sore back.

PS: who is Paul Mason?
Nice to know that your INR stays in the safe range with a few drinks.

I really like the visual pregnancy warning that the Aussie government requires. You guys think of everything. A picture can say a thousand words; the clear message being "Drink responsibly or you might get pregnant." lol

Chuck C

"I guess you aren't much of a wine drinker"

" mate I dunno what size glasses you have"

I drink wine, but prefer beer or vodka. As to glass size, I noted that in AU they consider 750ml to be 8.2 drinks, per the photo you provided from the label. I had estimated the number of glasses per standard bottle at 4. So, I did some calculations. At 8.2 drinks per 750 ml that is 91.45 ml per drink, as defined by the AU government. Converting to ounces, that is 3 ounces per drink/glass. Mate, in the US we have a name for a 3oz glass- it's called a shot glass. I'm sticking by my guns that a bottle of wine is equal to 4 glasses. I guess some things just come a little bigger over here :)

Last edited:

Chuck C

"I guess you aren't much of a wine drinker"

" mate I dunno what size glasses you have"

Some more light on the subject:

" in the United States, a standard drink contains about 14 grams of alcohol. "

" in Australia, a standard drink contains 10 grams of alcohol "

I guess certain things are just a little smaller down under :)

Mister_James

I think someone should just start a warfarin myths page and it will be a reference for questions that are - to me, anyway - annoying.

Warfarin does not change your diet or habits just activities. You cannot play competitive contact sports on Warfarin. You don't want to chance head injuries but who does?

Food and bad habits are yours to indulge as you choose. Drink whatever, smoke whatever, eat whatever...just remember to test and give yourself a room to maneuver.

I got into the habit of fresh ginger with tea this week, lots of tea with ginger. I tested and my INR was 4.3...nice. skipped a dose and will half another dose later this week otherwise back to my regular schedule and will test again next week.

Its like looking in the crapper after a dump and going hmmm i need to eat more fiber.

Latest posts